Home

Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats

Benny

I just modified the tool to use the "description" field as the file name.

Same URL:

http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip

This way the music score is still not named very descriptive ("track18b" is the theme music for example, oh and you can guess what "silence" is) but the speech and sound effect names are MUCH better this way.

So the list should probably be made for the "trackNN" names.

EDIT: Actually the track order is basically the same as the original (Enhanced CD) version, so there should be a list out there already ;-)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is the file so much smaller?

Because the "Original" contains some uncompressed wav files.

On top of this, it contains some ambient sounds which are stored in an extra container with the new version.

(Edited my example above using the "New" version to prevent some confusions.)

Can you get this in-game somehow: Guybrush_UnknownFilename_07? :)

Can you get this in-game somehow: Guybrush_UnknownFilename_07? :)
There are quite a lot samples which likely aren't used in the game. The keelhaul-description is in there, too (which is a dialog option, but Guybrush refuses to say this). And a whole bunch of different prices for Monkey Island, including XBOX points, while the game only seems to use the original "59.95 + tax" one. Many lines include alternative takes, which the game seems to ignore as well.

I guess, any sample not referred in speech.info is not used.

Can someone create a simple, step-by-step, dumbed-down explanation of how to extract the music files for someone who hasn't the slightest idea how to use the command prompt?

Edit: I've manged to extract all the .xwm files with unxwb.exe, I but I still can't figure out to convert them to waves or mp3s with xWMAencode.exe. Sorry to be such a pain... I'm pretty incompetent at this sort of thing...

Edit again: Never mind. I figured everything out now. :)

Hey again, guys.

I've managed to edit speech.info correctly, without removing the voice overs, using HEX editor (don't know why it didn't work earlier). But, speech.info doesn't edit any text in the original SMI version OR the dialouge choices in the new version (I mean, like, if we change Guybrush's line, the choice line will still be the same, though Guybrush will say other things). Editing original text files kind of helped, but voice overs disappear for any edited in the original monkey game line. Does anybody know how to fix this?

While bg is working on a more optimal solution I made a batch file for the audio extraction/converting process.

It will extract every .xwb file into subdirectories and then convert every .xwm to .wav wich ends up with the folowing directory structure:

--Main (where batchfile and xwb files are)
  --MusicNew (example)
     --Original (containing xwm and wav files extracted from xwb)
     --Converted_WAV (containing the wav files converted from the xwm files)

All you need to do to get is running is placing the unxwb.exe and xWMAEncode.exe with the batch file (miseAudioProcessing.cmd),

Then placing the xwb files you want to extract in the same directory and then run the batch file.

You can download the batch file here: http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.cmd

hello all! I've watched this thread intensively in these past days, and I must say I'm astonished by how well and quick you guys work :-) I just have this confession: I love the monkey island music, and even more the special edition music. I have great respect for people who know exactly how to rip and extract music from different types of files but, alas, I have no knowledge of how to do so WHATSOEVER. So I would apprieciate (and bring you monkey luv) if some kind sould might take the time to write a down to earth, step-by-step instruction of how to extract the music. I would really apprieciate this :)

Thanks in advance, and good job everyone!

So I would apprieciate (and bring you monkey luv) if some kind sould might take the time to write a down to earth, step-by-step instruction of how to extract the music. I would really apprieciate this :)

Thanks in advance, and good job everyone!

1) First you will need the folowing files:

unwxb.exe from jott (you only need the executable file found in the .zip archive)

xWMAEncode.exe (you only need the executable file found in the .zip archive)

xWMAEncode can be found here.

And my batch program to make it easier

http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.cmd or http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.zip

2) Place these files together in the same folder somewhere on your computer.

3) Assuming you want the new music, copy the MusicNew.xwb file from the audio folder of Monkey Island: SE (default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\audio) to the folder where you placed the downloaded files in step 2

4) Run (double-click) on miseAudioProcessing.cmd and wait till it says "Done"

5) The folder from step 2 now contains a subfolder named "MusicNew", open that folder.

6) You will find a subfolder there named "Converted_WAV", open that folder.

7) Here is all the music in .wav format, ready to be played!

Yes, I already said that I found that out. The question is not "where", but "how to change the old resource files without making the character voice overs to disappear in the new version".

My (unconfirmed) guess is, that the first int fields in the speech.info are some sort of CRC/hash that are used as a lookup for the original strings.

@John_Doe:

I played around a bit with the CRC (the one from Monkey1.pak to test it) but I can't get the right value. Could you share on how you can compute the CRC exactly? (I tried to & 0xDF the strings but this does not give the right solution with a CRC32).

Okay Jeroen_JRP, I've almost got this figured out... but for some reason Windows downloaded your batch program as a text file... .cmd.txt and I can't get it to recognize it or run it any other way. What do I do to get it to run it as a CMD? Sorry for my uselessness. ;)

My (unconfirmed) guess is, that the first int fields in the speech.info are some sort of CRC/hash that are used as a lookup for the original strings.

From what I could gather, the header before each "group of cues" entry in the speech.info file has the following fields.

• 4 bytes that are some kind of CRC or otherwise uniquely indexing a spoken line (in english). This means that the cues: "Guybrush Threepwood.", "Guybrush THREEPWOOD", "Guybrush Threepwood!" will all have the same value for this field, even though they are spoken from different characters, and have differences in pronounciation. I really have trouble understanding the reason for this field, but I bet that this is what causes problems with fansubs.
  • 2 bytes that index the room where the cue is spoken
  • 2 bytes that are some kind of index for the "interaction" where the cue is spoken (e.g. same value if guybrush interacts with the same object, same value throughout one conversation)
  • 2 bytes that somehow index the cue within the conversation or the room -I am not sure.
  • 2 bytes that incementally index a "subcue" (if any) within a single cue. Subcues are seperated by the escape sequence \255\003 in the original text. (value 00 for the first subcue, 01 for the second etc.)
  • 2 bytes: that have the value 01 if the line is spoken by Guybrush, and 00 else.
  • 2 bytes: of unknown purpose. They almost always seem to be 00, but there are cases where they have other value.

Okay Jeroen_JRP, I've almost got this figured out... but for some reason Windows downloaded your batch program as a text file... .cmd.txt and I can't get it to recognize it or run it any other way. What do I do to get it to run it as a CMD? Sorry for my uselessness. ;)

If you click on 'tools' in any windows explorer folder, then 'folder options' there should be an option to hide/reveal filename extensions. If you make them visible you can just remove the '.txt' from the end of the filename and it'll work fine.

If you click on 'tools' in any windows explorer folder, then 'folder options' there should be an option to hide/reveal filename extensions. If you make them visible you can just remove the '.txt' from the end of the filename and it'll work fine.

Exactly, and in case that doesn't work I uploaded a .zip containing the .cmd file:

http://hulauncher.jrpweb.nl/files/miseAudioProcessing.zip

I have created a batch file to rename the tracks of the new Soundtrack:

ren "track18b.mp3" "01. Opening Themes.mp3"
ren "track18c.mp3" "02. Introduction.mp3"
ren "track7.mp3" "03. Chapter Screen.mp3"
ren "track9.mp3" "04. The Scumm Bar.mp3"
ren "track13.mp3" "05. LeChuck's Theme.mp3"
ren "track3.mp3" "06. Following The Shop Keeper.mp3"
ren "track10.mp3" "07. Ghost Ship Shuffle.mp3"
ren "track6.mp3" "08. Meleé Island.mp3"
ren "track2.mp3" "09. The Voodoo Shop.mp3"
ren "track8.mp3" "10. Guybrush and Elaine.mp3"
ren "track4.mp3" "11. Meleé Forest.mp3"
ren "track19.mp3" "12. Stan's Previously Used Ships.mp3"
ren "track12.mp3" "13. The Fettucini Brothers.mp3"
ren "track16.mp3" "14. The Journey.mp3"
ren "track15.mp3" "15. Monkey Island.mp3"
ren "track22.mp3" "16. The Cannibal Village.mp3"
ren "track14.mp3" "17. LeChuck's Theme (Alternate).mp3"
ren "track5.mp3" "18. Organ Prelude.mp3"
ren "track17.mp3" "19. Closing Themes.mp3"
ren "track18a.mp3" "20. Theme (alternative version).mp3"
ren "track20.mp3" "21. Unknown.mp3"
ren "track10a.mp3" "22. Ghost Ship Shuffle (alternative version).mp3"

It is based on the following soundtrack: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/mi1.htm

Feel free to post corrections of any kind

2) Place these files together in the same folder somewhere on your computer.

For the script to work, be sure the folder that you place these in from the c:\ don't have any spaces in the folder name. For example, having your folder in C:\Documents and Settings\etc...won't work.

I was having this problem and it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the script to work.

For the script to work, be sure the folder that you place these in from the c:\ don't have any spaces in the folder name. For example, having your folder in C:\Documents and Settings\etc...won't work.

I was having this problem and it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the script to work.

Ow, I'm sorry about that, forgot to check it. Didn't have any trouble myself becouse Windows Vista and 7 use far less spaces in their folders.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hey again, guys.

I've managed to edit speech.info correctly, without removing the voice overs, using HEX editor (don't know why it didn't work earlier). But, speech.info doesn't edit any text in the original SMI version OR the dialouge choices in the new version (I mean, like, if we change Guybrush's line, the choice line will still be the same, though Guybrush will say other things). Editing original text files kind of helped, but voice overs disappear for any edited in the original monkey game line. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Hi everybody!

How'd you do that? I tried editing it with HEX editor, but the game crashes as soon as the line I edit gets said by the character.

Well, in speech.info phrases can be any length as long as they're within their block (you can notice that all speech.info is divided in blocks of the same length), and as long as you don't delete the spaces (20s) and put value 00 inbetween the end of your phrase and the spaces themselves. No crashing.

Ow, I'm sorry about that, forgot to check it. Didn't have any trouble myself becouse Windows Vista and 7 use far less spaces in their folders.

Thanks for the heads up!

Well, the easiest way would be to put quotation marks around the filename variables.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this.

I ripped the original music from the special edition and then from my original MI1 CD. There's a definite difference in quality, with the original CD music being the better. Only other difference is that the original CD music has silence before and after every track, the SE music has had this removed, making for slightly smaller length clips and you don't get that pause when you enter a new room.

Archived