Home

Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats

Benny

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if this will work in game but......... ?

Im not even close to being done with all of the sprites...

I based it off the original box art.

What I need to know is since his hair is shorter here will it mess up the ingame sprite? Like will he have black splotches on top? I have no clue how to actually put it in the game.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6403/guybrush.png

guybrush.th.png

The front looks awesome, but in the sideviews the back of his head looks odd.

The front looks awesome, but in the sideviews the back of his head looks odd.

I will fix the guybrush character! There are so many upset people all over lucas-arts forums, so I will do it for yu guys. Let you know when its done!

This is what I am gonna fix, if you have more idea let me know:

- skin color

- eyes (not sure yet)

- hair

- eyebrows - color and (not sure yet) style

- expression and charm (not sure yet)

- shorter neck (not sure yet)

- getting closer to CMI look

I also think about Marley and Lechuck's final close-up face. Lechuck looks like he is happy he just died (smiling).

Alright! I extracted the files from SoMI:SE. Now I shall do my part in improving graphics the best I can.

I was thinking of doing a blue LeChuck, and maybe some improvements on the forest.

I am glad there is next person doing new art for MI-SE, even I dont know how good you are and what I can recommend is follow the original game in any way. Lechuck supposed to be very creepy character with big respect. Are good painter or cg artist?

In terms of shape, LeChuck isn't that bad, but the colour bothers me.

I'm fairly good with painting in Photoshop though, but I think I'll just recolour him. There are just so many sprites, repainting characters would be loads of work.

In general MI:SE isn't bad, it's just sloppy.

Another thing that bothers me btw, but I've yet to see anyone else say anything about it. The Important Looking Pirates in the Scummbar, their torso's that continue under teh table, aren't alligned with the proper perspective of the table. Making it look weird.

Again, thanks for changing the graphichs. I love your project. And I would love you if you could do something with the sky in melee island (around the town).

But the reason I'm writing this is to ask if you could start a new thread instead of using this one. It would be much easier to follow both file format changes and graphic changes if they were in seperate threads.

I've fixed the store alpha problems, or atleast I hope. Aligning the rope near the door was a bitch. But I have no idea how to get these back in to the game, can anyone help with that or tell me how to do it?

Store fixes include:

Rope near door

Front layer barrels

I'll upload the .psd files here

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YkxLT20rZ2o1R05jR0E9PQ

I also tried some things on LeChuck, but no luck yet in getting him look better, so I might try to fix up the forest first.

I've started on the forest now, well, on the first half of the first scene. And you wouldn't believe how sloppy it is. I'm beginning to think that all the pixels in the forest is due to some mistake in switching layers, because it seems that a lot of pixels are overlapping the new graphics.

But fixing the whole forest is a massive undertaking. Would be better to spread this over several people, otherwize it would take ages.

The forest scene I'm working on is 100_forest-1 so no one else does double work.

I've started on the forest now, well, on the first half of the first scene. And you wouldn't believe how sloppy it is. I'm beginning to think that all the pixels in the forest is due to some mistake in switching layers, because it seems that a lot of pixels are overlapping the new graphics.

But fixing the whole forest is a massive undertaking. Would be better to spread this over several people, otherwize it would take ages.

The forest scene I'm working on is 100_forest-1 so no one else does double work.

ok, what you have to do is: Save you final psd as dds with same name as the original file (DXT5 alpha). Then convert them to dxt and copy them to the same folder where the original files are and rewrite them. Then take this folder (art/rooms/images/30_store) and copy that to game folder. If you have my Lookout scene already in the game, you need just add your folder 30_store. I explained this whole process in previous post and other people explain that here too.

**** YEAH!

It works! I've fixed that pesky store alpha problem. The rope hanging in fron of the door now doesn't disappear when the door is opened. When looking in the room art files I also noticed that the barrels in the foreground had horrid alpha, lots of weird bumps and gaps where they shouldn't be. So I fixed those too.

Here's a screenshot, I'll upload the patch later when I've fixed more stuff. The alpha of the door is still not really perfect.

screenshotstore.jpg

Alright, here's my first patch.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YkxJTkZ0dEM4Q1R2Wmc9PQ (temp host, filefront was being slow)

I've fixed the most horrible problems in the store, and retouched one of the scenes in the forest (there are 20! in total :p )

The forest scene I've retouched is the place right in front of the treasure scene. Most visible pixels should be gone now, aswell as any strange alpha.

screenshotforest.jpg

I'll update this patch as I continue fixing up other backgrounds.

Alright, here's my first patch.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YkxJTkZ0dEM4Q1R2Wmc9PQ (temp host, filefront was being slow)

I've fixed the most horrible problems in the store, and retouched one of the scenes in the forest (there are 20! in total :p )

The forest scene I've retouched is the place right in front of the treasure scene. Most visible pixels should be gone now, aswell as any strange alpha.

screenshotforest.jpg

I'll update this patch as I continue fixing up other backgrounds.

I am very happy, you fix the art. What about put more details into it? For example forest scene: paint the leaves - make them look like leaves with all details and lighting, or trees - add detailed bark, details on leaves again, or the ground - make small pieces of sand and stone, branches, leaves from the trees, puddles. You can also put more depth into the image by adding very far view background and moon light and shadows. What do you think?

Well, at the moment I'm only fixing the forest, not actually repainting stuff.

So what I've done exatcly, is blur the huge pixels and turn them in to blobs that blend in to the forest. Generally that looks quite well.

Only occasionally is it needed to really repaint certain stuff because there are just too many big pixels.

Anyhow, adding more details will be an insane amount of work. This is just one scene of the forest, there are about 20 more.

So I'm just fixing the background so it doesn't look sloppy or unfinished.

Also, I've finished another forest scene, it's 105_forest-6

I've found a more permanent download mirror, I've also included the second forest scene fix I just made and further improvements to the store.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6f36e133a4c12a18931c7453395df025b01ae1c0311c935eb8eada0a1ae8665a

Well, at the moment I'm only fixing the forest, not actually repainting stuff.

So what I've done exatcly, is blur the huge pixels and turn them in to blobs that blend in to the forest. Generally that looks quite well.

Only occasionally is it needed to really repaint certain stuff because there are just too many big pixels.

Anyhow, adding more details will be an insane amount of work. This is just one scene of the forest, there are about 20 more.

So I'm just fixing the background so it doesn't look sloppy or unfinished.

Also, I've finished another forest scene, it's 105_forest-6

I've found a more permanent download mirror, I've also included the second forest scene fix I just made and further improvements to the store.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6f36e133a4c12a18931c7453395df025b01ae1c0311c935eb8eada0a1ae8665a

It will be more work...maybe huge work... but also more rewarded. Fixing pixels is good, but doesnt change the quality of the paintings. If you look at my Lookout scene and their, there is huge different, and thats what you should do and people wanna see. Improve the paintings, not fix pixels or alphas. Just try one whole image, it doesnt matter how long it takes. For example, I made the scene in 2 days. If it takes a month, it doesnt matter, people still want to see it. You will also learn a lot and improve your skills. Try that, take some easy scene and make it rich.

You seem to misunderstand my intentions, I'm making this for people who want a fixed Special Edition, not a changed one. Though I'll probably also make other patches that WILL change stuff, but there's nothing really wrong with the forest appart from the pixels which I'm already in the process of fixing.

If you really want to see a different forest instead of a fixed one, nothing's stopping you from making new backgrounds yourself.

I'm not going to repaint an entire background when it only had a few flaws that are easily fixed.

Also, working on 101_forest-2 now.

I added a smile to the SCUMMBAR sign, it didn't turn out as pretty as I hoped, I'm not gonna use it ingame, but if anyone wants it, tell me so and I'll upload it.
I think, it's better than nothing. Maybe the wood could be a bit darker and the smiley sprayed on in light blue.

The text actually looks like painted on wood which is a good thing, unlike Stan's sign.

Hi Guys, first scene is done... here is the file:

http://leteckaposta.cz/493174926

What you have to do is unpack zip file, and copy Art folder to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\

This file also includes new Guybrush hair from "Riot23" (I guess) :)

Let me know how you like it... comments are welcome :thmbup1:

Can anyone upload this mod (file don't exist any more over this link)?

Thanks in advance.

LordTrilobite can I ask you for the SCUMMBAR sign mod?

Archived