Home

Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats

Benny

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uiText.info will be added in the next version of the tool. I've already finished the parser. (I will also be looking at hints file).

I didn't have much time for coding in last few weeks, because I move to another city, which ate up quite some time..., but the project is NOT dead, promised.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what language are you translating into? And are you planing to translate the entire game?

Having some regular feedback on new versions of the tool from real translators would be a great help.

I have question - if I want to change some chars in fonts, I only have to modify .png files? And which font is used in normal dialogues in game?

The font used in normal dialogues should be MinisterT_bo_32, at least for the 1280x1024 resolution (I am not sure and have not checked if this changes with each resolution setting).

The "b' in the name means bold, and the "o" means that each letter has a thin black contour.

And no, you can't just add new chars in the font files by editing the .png files, albeit you can exchange an existing character (e.g the 'i') with another if you draw the new character exactly on top of the old, maintaining the old character's properties (height, width, etc).

But if you intend to add support for a new alphabet, the best way should be to extend the characters supported by the game by modifying the .font files AND the .png files properly. I plan to write a special tool for this, but I have no spare time currently. Hopefully that will change soon.

• 2 weeks later...

You just take some letters you don't need in Hungarian (for instance, Ú or something like that) and draw the missing characters (like Ű) on its place in the PNG file. Then, you just have to write the letter Ú in the text script, whenever you want an Ű to appear.

Text script -> Game

Úzgúr -> Űzgűr

I've translated all fonts to russian language (for ENPYStudio)

3rus.th.jpg1d47276fe8af03fce38fe81729adfcec.jpgministertbo24.th.png

MinisterT_bo_24_font_and_png.zip (33 Kb)

I used:

1) Adobe Photoshop (CS4) - creating temporary png with all chars (large space between chars)

2) my tool written on Delphi (2010) - recognize (cut) all chars images from temp.png, make compact (no spaces between chars) png with chars by my order (ex: ...Z[\]^`enzo_amdbcf... ), make *.font for this png.

scr1ze.th.jpg

Also I've writen a tool for editing the *.info

scr2n.th.jpg

Now ENPY Studio & PRCA are works on the russian translation of this game.

Game logo on russian by ENPY Studio:

8ab93da3ca678a85c3d54bae803bc6c2.jpg

PS: sorry for my english. :)

I've translated all fonts to russian language (for ENPYStudio)

I used:

1) Adobe Photoshop (CS4) - creating temporary png with all chars (large space between chars)

2) my tool written on Delphi (2010) - recognize (cut) all chars images from temp.png, make compact (no spaces between chars) png with chars by my order (ex: ...Z[\]^`enzo_amdbcf... ), make *.font for this png.

scr1ze.th.jpg

Nice work, Enz°, however, I'd like to make some comments on your russian characters of the font:

It looks very nice, but you shouldn't try to create an "И" out of an "N" - these are totally different letters and you won't get one out of another just by mirroring. In "N", you have two narrow vertical lines and one bold diagonal, going in the direction Northwest-Southeast (\), as well as incomplete serifs on it. In an "И", you have two bold vertical lines and a narrow diagonal Southwest-Northeast line (/), and complete serifs.

You should try to take an "H", erase the middle bar and draw a new, narrow, diagonal line.

Sorry I don't use any real professional typographist lingo, in fact, I don't know it, though I used to be a font designer myself. And, если что, я по-русски говорю.

About the rest - quite beautiful, and will probably do what it should.

lil question: has anyone analyzed the xWMAs within the game yet? do they have a constant or a variable bitrate? they're quite small files ...

... oh the official soundtrack just takes too long! :(

edit: oh my. i just took the calculator and ...

96 kbps WMA in a HD video game in the year 2009. What have they done?!?!?!?

for notexistingchrissake: release a CD album!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived