Home

Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats

Benny

What exactly does monkey2.pak different from Monkey1.pak? extractpak doesn't work in monkey2.pak.

I need a simple way to extract monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 from it, for the Ultimate Talkie Edition Project.

Does someone know what changes are required to extractpak.c to get it working?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Would you be so kind and write a license text which grants the redistribution and usage of extractpak and MI2_ResExtract with the talkie edition projects?

Preferably without the need to release the source code, as I accidentally damaged it.

The ScummVM team insists on this kind of stuff. Understandable, as they have to be very cautious about what they do. Thanks in advance.

Damaged what?
extract_classic is included which is a modified version of extractpak to only extract monkey.000 and monkey.001. I don't have the source code of this modified version anymore. Shouldn't be a big deal to do this modification again, though.

Of course, if you could do it like MI2_ResExtract, but for MI1SE, that should do as well.

Would you be so kind and write a license text which grants the redistribution and usage of extractpak and MI2_ResExtract with the talkie edition projects?

Preferably without the need to release the source code, as I accidentally damaged it.

The ScummVM team insists on this kind of stuff. Understandable, as they have to be very cautious about what they do. Thanks in advance.

If it is helps, all my relevant code parts are hereby dual-licensed under the MIT and GPLv2 (or later) license.

That is extractpak.c, mkspeech.c (which was only GPLv3) and speech.c.

My modifications to unxwb are of course GPLv2 (or later).

I assume for my part this should be sufficient as a statement.

• 8 months later...

Like I mentioned (years ago :D), I finally found some time to work on some translation apps in python for the greek language i.e. a language that needs you to add new characters, (you can't get away with replacing "unused" characters from the existing in the png).

My apps so far seem to work, however:

a) I need to complete the translation to verify that no unexpected bugs show up.

b) In their current version the apps are specific for the greek language (some things that should be configuration options in the gui are instead hardcoded), so there is additional work to be done for making the code more... generic.*

c) They are tested for files of MI:SE (no attempt was made to test it/make it compatible with MI2:SE yet). Files that can be translated are the speech.info, uiText.info, monkey1.hints.csv and the *.credits.xml files.

I know that there are other programs that already do (something like or exactly) this (like enz°'s), but I intend to finish the greek translation for MI:SE with mine. (also I never could get hold of enz°'s apps)

*. Worst case scenario, if I'm not done by, say, next year's summer, I'll release the code and let someone else interested to make the proper adjustments for their language.

Screenshot pics:

screenshottranslatefont.png

screenshottranslatehint.png

Archived