Home

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Taak Farst

It's finally in cinemas. Now Harry Potter is out, discuss it on this thread.

I saw it on day of release (15th) and it was highly dissapointing at the start -so boring - but then the action kicked in and I got really into it. I wasn't as excited as the other films though.

7/10 Rating for me.

Great Acting and Great Humour though.

Was Shocked that they left out Dumbledoors Funeral...

I watched it the morning after release. The cinema I went to was still rather crowded, glad I didn't go at opening night. Overall, I'll agree with the 7/10 rating. The humor parts were really good, especially with the romance, but I felt the movie lacked enough action, even near the end. I couldn't help but notice how it fell short of the book in several areas.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
The beginning scene at the diner wasn't in the book, the burning of the Weasley's home was definitely not in the book, the entire sequence of Harry's adventures in Defense Against The Dark Arts class with Snape was gone, Occlumency lessons were omitted, and the final battle at Hogwarts against the Death Eaters was omitted.
Besides that though, a solid film that is light-years better than the fifth movie.

- Star Admiral

I'll definitely see it sometime next week or so. I hate seeing movies on opening weekend. I drove by the theater, and the parking lot had loads of school buses. The lot was filled with cars from one end to the other.

From what I've read online about it, it'll be a decent flick.

Frustrating might be the word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. Even though it leaves you wanting more, I guess that's what they were going for...:/ I just figure 7 pt 1 and pt 2 are going to be sweet... Unfortunately we have to wait another year for that....

Ah, remind me not to watch another Harry Potter movie on opening week, especially a Matinee. Too many parents bringing their kids who won't shut up. With a jam packed theater, I happened to sit next to a guy who forgot deodorant was invented. Sit next to that for over 2 1/2 hours.

The movie did seem a little slow at times, but at the same time I really enjoyed Harry's relationship with Dumbledore with the things they learn together (leaving that detail out because of spoilers) in this one and the love triangles. Let's just say I enjoyed this way more than that second Transformer movie.

I went to see it yesterday when it opened, and I personally thought it was a disappointment.

They missed out far too much, I thought, which doesn't make sense, because they seem to have had time to invent their own things that weren't in the book and put those in the film, whilst leaving out important events that were in the book.

Dumbledore's Funeral for example

And speaking of adding new things, am I the only one who thought that

The Burrow getting blown up

was stupid? Especially when it appears in the next book for Bill and Fleur's wedding.

I was expecting a lot more from this film, but I was very disappointed with the final result. Here's to hoping the last two films are better.:drink3:

To be honest, I don't see the problem with leaving out

Dumbledore's Funeral

By that point in the book I just wanted it to end, and there's so much else they have to cram into these films it's silly to expect everything to get in there.

Even if I was a little upset to hear that they didn't include the first chapter - I wanted to see the Muggle Prime Minister!

I'll post some proper impressions when i've actually seen it, though.

Overall I think it was very dissapointing - they left crucial bits out.

and if i recall:

Snape making the unbreakable vow was the first thing in the book? I think?

It did not start how it did. I don't recall

The burrow and hagrids hut being blown up...the next book wedding with fleur must be gone then ^^ how stupid.

The trailers did a good job of making a mediocre film look awesome - as usual. There wasnt near enough action as they made out...and they left more out than probably any of the others.

It was boring in a lot of parts...but the humour and romance were still great to watch.

I can't make a decision to say if it was worth spending money to see ^^

Overall I think it was very dissapointing - they left crucial bits out.

and if i recall:

Snape making the unbreakable vow was the first thing in the book? I think?

Nope. The book starts with Fudge at 10 Downing Street explaining the mysterious deaths and collapsing bridges.

MAJOR SPOILER FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVENT READ THE BOOK OR SEEN THE MOVIE:

Show spoiler
Harry looked around; there was Ginny running toward him; she had a hard, blazing look in her face as she threw her arms around him. And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her.

My fave part of the whole book. Maybe even the whole series.

Show spoiler
Absolute least favorite part of the series... hell, I hated the sixth book except for Dumbledore getting the real estate deal. If Rowling had included something intregal to the story called Character Development. Instead, Rowing decided that, since PS to OootP was slowing becoming a HarryxHermione story that she'd kill that story, make Hermione go crazy and then pair her with the guy most UNSUITED for her in the Universe! (Not that I have any strong feelings on the Harry Potter series :p

Otherwise, haven't seen the movie yet, but I hope it's better than the book, but from what I've read it's not... and that's difficult to do. In any case, is it better than the Prisoner of Azkaban movie?

That was a good fantasy movie. It had a coherent scenario, solid action scenes and fun teenage romance-induced awkwardness. If David Yates were younger, I would have sworn the Harry Potter novels were his bedside books, 'cause there are a bunch of references to the Half-Blood Prince in his film. Heck, he even gave his characters the same names as Rowling's protagonists, I wonder what's up with that...

Huh?

Wait, this was the adaptation of the Half-Blood Prince?

Oh man.

Alright, seriously.

Show spoiler
It was a good movie, it was coherent with itself from the beginning to the end, and it was enjoyable, but it was miles away from the novel. I mean, I know that to write the script of a HP movie, they just take the book and randomly rip off half of the pages. That's how it was for the first five films, so I wouldn't have cared if they did that again. What I can hardly stand is how Yates messed up with the characters.

I mean, no Prime Minister, no Fudge, no Scrimgeour, fine. No Bill, no Fleur, right. No funeral for Dumbledore, go ahead.

All of Jedusor's backstory being reduced to two memories and an evasive "t'was his mother's ring, forget about it", if you must.

Tonks is not important enough to fit in a 2,5 hours movie? Fine, just replace her with Luna in the train, and let's just forget about Tonks, really, I can unders... Wait dude, what is she doing in the Burrow then? You couldn't afford to make her rescue Harry in the Hogwarts Express, but you took the time to show her in that meh scene when the Burrow ends up burning?

Oh yeah, about that scene. Alright, Death Eaters are eeeevil, so they do eeeevil stuff live burning the Burrow. Fine, if you needed that to put some tension in the film. It's just, the moment where Harry shoves all the adults blocking the tiny doorway before rushing into the flames. And then the same thing with Ginny. They reacted like, years later. The teens struggled to make their way out for like five seconds and they did nothing to stop them.

Wait, my mistake. They did yell "Harry!" after making sure he was far enough not to hear them.

And still about Tonks. Or rather, Lupin. If Yates went through the trouble of showing Greyback, why couldn't he drop a line about how his actions affected Lupin since both are werewolves? I mean, he does show that Lupin is even more drained than usual, but all the explanation we got was "Meh, don't worry Harry, he's just having a bad phase".

I don't like what he did with Dumbledore. I know, it was needed to show more of that paternal relationship with Harry, in order to make his death more poignant, but where are all these comments and advices on Harry's love life coming from? And who tells people to shave when they've got a meter-long beard?

And why, why did he not paralyze Harry before his death like he did in the book? Wait, I can answer that one. It was in order to show that moment with Snape hushing Harry before joining the other Death Eaters and killing Dumbledore. That moment was... unnecessary, in my opinion. It felt like someone was on a corner of the screen grinning widely and saying enthusiatically

"Hey hey, have you seen that? Snape killed Dumbledore. Oooh but wait wait, you saw that, before he did, he told Harry to stay quiet! Do you think it was just to prevent him from interfering? *wink* Don't you think there is more to Snape's character than a traitor who killed Dumbledore? *wink* Don't you think he could be, in fact, a good guy who tried to protect Harry? Huh? Huh? Don't you think? *winkwinkwinkwink*"

YES we know already. Please, all the clues we need are in the books, and there were enough added in the other movies. So instead of inserting such obvious hints, couldn't you have concentrated on making Snape go berserk when Harry calls him a coward? THAT was a good clue and a good moment. But you didn't include it.

On to one last thing. The thing that was responsible for both the best scenes of the movie and the most awful ones. Yeah, romances. They were well scripted and fun as hell when it was about goofs and qui pro quo. They were boring and missing the point when they tried to be serious about it.

I don't think there's a single "serious" moment that was well executed (maybe the Oppugno scene).

Ron was supposed to learn about Harry's mind trick when he made him think he drank Felix Felicis. He and Hermione were supposed to argue again since she had overtly said that Ron could never have performed this well during the Quidditch match without Felix. Maybe it's not that important, maybe they did argue enough during the movie, but to me that scene was essential. It showed that Ron is not the only one who makes mistakes in their relationship and that Hermione is not infallible.

Now in the movie Ron appears as the awkward dummy who involuntarily does everything to hurt Hermione, while she would never do anything to hurt him since she's always right and incapable of fallacy.

I don't really know how to describe what was done to Harry and Ginny. The whole point was missed in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of romances and I wouldn't mind if they cut that out, but if they're going to include them, can't they do it right? Maybe that kiss in front of every single Gryffindor was not such a great scene, I don't know. But it certainly was one of the most omgwtfbbq!!1eleven moment of the books. And again the movie version just makes Ron seem even more dumb, since everything happens behind his back.

Woah, that was a lengthy comment. I had not read or seen anything Harry Potter in several months before seeing this film, I would never have guessed I had so much fanboyism left.

It was a good movie, seriously. Despite the cut content, it was coherent as a whole, had good action and fun scenes. Luna is still crazy, Draco is more emo than ever, Bellatrix is insanely insane. Just don't expect to see the book's adaptation, enjoy the story the movie tells and don't compare.

Sectumsempra needz moar gore ><

(Haven't seen movie yet.)

You're kidding me,

Snape flipping out on Harry at the end isn't in the movie? Did Rickman at least shout out "Don't call me a coward!"? I consider that just as important as Dumbledore's death.

I wonder how much they'll butcher snape's memories in the last film.

Archived