Home

Apple to Microsoft: "Please stop!"

Probably the one of the funnier tech stories that I've heard in the past few months...of course everyone knows by now that I hate Apple so no need to point that out...

Microsoft COO Kevin Turner relayed a funny story about Apple. The Cupertino Mac maker recently called Microsoft and demanded that the software giant stop running its "Laptop Hunter" ads on TV. The ads highlight how expensive Macs are compared to PCs, and how much more choice there is in the PC market. That's a lot of chutzpah, even for Apple: Its annoying "I'm a Mac" ads have been running for years and often include inaccurate information about Windows and PCs.

Turner revealed how desperate Apple is to prevent people from realizing how much more expensive Macs are than PCs. "Two weeks ago we got a call from the Apple legal department saying, 'Hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices,'" he said. "They took like $100 off or something. It was the greatest single phone call that I've ever taken in business."

Finally, Microsoft had gotten to Apple. "I did cartwheels down the hallway," Turner continued. "At first I said, 'Is this a joke? Who are you?' We're just going to keep running them and running them and running them."

Turner noted that the ads work because they're the truth. He talked about reading an ad for an electronics retailer in the newspaper this past Sunday and examining the prices for different computers. "You can get a 13.3” Macbook for $1,199 from that retailer," he said. "Guess what? [From] that same retailer, you can get a PC with more RAM, a bigger hard drive, and almost a three-inch bigger screen for $649. This is...the Apple Tax."

Funny...and true.

Original Blog Post by Paul Thurrott

lolz.. regardless fo where ones loyalties lie, forcing an overcharging company to reduce their prices is always a win for the consumer.

Ive never understood why apple charge so much, especially when the hardware their machines contain often isnt cutting edge .eg. unlike Alienware rigs for example - they are pricey, but are more high-end kitwise.

Still, youre always better off to DIY ;)

mtfbwya

lolz.. regardless fo where ones loyalties lie, forcing an overcharging company to reduce their prices is always a win for the consumer.

Ive never understood why apple charge so much, especially when the hardware their machines contain often isnt cutting edge .eg. unlike Alienware rigs for example - they are pricey, but are more high-end kitwise.

Still, youre always better off to DIY ;)

mtfbwya

^^This.

_EW_

...wow. This was pretty funny. Apple, your ads aren't truth, Microsoft's are. At my local Best Buy, I steer clear of the Apple section because my wallet quivers in my pocket whenever I go near it...

You get more bang for your buck with AlienWare, unlike Apple. With them, you just lost your buck.

You get more bang for your buck with AlienWare, unlike Apple. With them, you just lost your buck.

Bull****.

Dellienware is ridiculous as well - you can build a comparable machine for much less. On their site, design a $3200 computer, then put all of the same parts on a newegg wishlist. I guarantee it will come out to less than $2000.

With Apple, you're paying an extra $300 to not have do deal with Bill Gates or any of his stupid products (IE, Windows, etc).

For that very reason, I just had my friend buy a 15" MacBook Pro. For her, it was a good recommendation - she has the money to upgrade from a PC to a Mac (and yes, I do see it as an upgrade) and she doesn't need to game, which is the sole reason to stick with Windows IMHO.

_EW_

Dellienware is ridiculous as well - you can build a comparable machine for much less. On their site, design a $3200 computer, then put all of the same parts on a newegg wishlist. I guarantee it will come out to less than $2000.

But you must admit those AW lappies are pretty snazzy. Those new red ones with Geforce 280...phaw. I'm usually not a laptop fan, but I'd gladly have one of those (if someone gave one to me) ;) Though I'd probably overcook it folding on it 24/7 :thmbup1:

red-m17x-1.jpg

mtfbwya

Bull****.

Yeah...while I don't think that Apple's prices are fair...I think Alienware's are a lot less fair...I tricked out a machine that would have ended up costing me 15,000 dollars...that's the price of some new consumer cars...

While I think you go a little far on the other stuff...I do agree with you on Alienware's problems

• 2 weeks later...

mac_20vs_20pc.jpg

Now if he'd just squeeze that trigger a few times...

I read this over at Anand:

Quick! Someone call the waaaaahhhmbulance for those whiners over at Apple.

If this is true, it's a classic case of the shoe being on the other foot. Apple can dish it out, but they can't take it.

what always made me giggle was when Steve Jobs made fun of the Vista Blue Start 'orb' Logo. It was one of thoe Macworld events and he saying putting the windows logo in a blue orb isnt that fantastic. The way the fanboys in the audience were in hysterics, youdt hink Jobs was delivering some Eddie Murphy classics

Fair enough, people can use whatever brand they want, but making fun of logos is a bit silly if your a CEO, let alone a fanboy.

Still though Ive always wondered if the Apple Logo was deliberately chosen for its Biblical iconography - being the forbidden fruit symobolising the low morals and depravity of mankind :) [/jk]

mtfbwya

Archived