Home

Monkey Island SE Hack Ideas

Monkey Mania

This thread is where you put your SMI:SE hack ideas, mock-ups, and progress.

Here's some ideas.

Secret of Monkey Island: Funnier Edition = sprites edited in comical fashion (Guybrush's hair is larger, etc.)

Secret of Monkey Island: The Monkeys are Listening Edition = original sprites with the new speech and music.

Secret of Monkey Island: Cursed Edition = Sprites replaced with CMI style sprites.

Secret of Monkey Island: Barbery Coast Edition = Fixed Hair on Guybrush Sprite

Have at it! :thmbup1:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Secret of Monkey Island: Playability Edition = All what the SE has to offer, but with the original interface.

Secret of Monkey Island: Athlon XP Edition = Same as usual, but without the ridiculous CPU requirement.

Secret of Monkey Island: Localized Dubbing Edition = featuring translated voice acting in addition to the original. Voice and subtitle language switchable at any time, like you can do it on DVD Video.

Secret of Monkey Island: Ultimate Deluxe Edition = combining all of them, including the "Barbery Coast Edition".

Secret of Monkey Island: Remix Edition - Mash-Up of all previous LucasArts adventures with Ben as Guybrush, Purple Tentacle as LeChuck, Sophia Hapgood as Elaine, Max as Stan and the Cannibals starring Boston Low, Dr. Brink and Maggie.

Other than that, I think "fixing" Guybrush and LeChuck is a reasonable task within reach.

Looking on how Irishmile modified the MI:SE Guybrush, we might can convince him to work on it:

Guybrush_Monkey_Island_2_by_Irishmile.png

The right one is actually a nearly pixel-perfect modification of the MI:SE sprite, just with "better" hair. Given that his head is quite static most of the time there are not THAT many different perspectives to draw.

Secret of Monkey Island: The Guybrush "I Don't Glide on the Floor" Threepwood Edition

Seriously, the animation could be better if Guybrush didn't look like he's sliding when he's actually walking. In MI, he had a better animation.

Secret of Monkey Island: The Guybrush "I Don't Glide on the Floor" Threepwood Edition

Seriously, the animation could be better if Guybrush didn't look like he's sliding when he's actually walking. In MI, he had a better animation.

There is a tweaks.txt file inside monkey1.pak with several parameters which seem to guide the sliding of Guybrush. Dunno how to tweak it though.

Secret of Monkey Island: The Monkeys are Listening Edition = original sprites with the new speech and music.

I'm sorta working on this one at the moment. It seems to be a relatively simple task, but combing through the speech files and matching each line to the right subtitle is going to take a while. The music seems to be a bit easier though.

EDIT: Okay, I've hit a couple of problems which I'm not sure how to solve. I'm using ScummSpeaks to patch in the speech files (same as the MI Speech Project) and for the most part things work fine, but there are some lines of speech that are broken down into two or three audio files (Such as "Yikes! / Don't sneak up on me like that!"). I'm not sure how I can put those in. Also, there seem to be a couple of parts where the line can be different (like the Lookout calling Guybrush a random variant of Threepwood).

I'm sorta working on this one at the moment. It seems to be a relatively simple task, but combing through the speech files and matching each line to the right subtitle is going to take a while. The music seems to be a bit easier though.

With my modified version of unxwb you can get the names of the sample as in the speech.info. In the end it could be pretty much automated this way.

Other than that, you could either modify the original gamescripts to split lines or use some audio tools to merge/split lines that don't line up.

Here is a stupid little tool I just hacked together in a (/very) few minutes starting from Krasas information:

http://helicoid.de/scumm/speech.zip

It just dumps the sample name and the spoken line in English to the standard output and expects the speech.info in the same folder. So just do something like "speech.exe > speech.txt" or so.

I bet with some minor modifications you can just create a file suitable for the ScummSpeaks tool.

EDIT: Okay, I've hit a couple of problems which I'm not sure how to solve. I'm using ScummSpeaks to patch in the speech files (same as the MI Speech Project) and for the most part things work fine, but there are some lines of speech that are broken down into two or three audio files (Such as "Yikes! / Don't sneak up on me like that!"). I'm not sure how I can put those in. Also, there seem to be a couple of parts where the line can be different (like the Lookout calling Guybrush a random variant of Threepwood).

For the MI Speech Project, I had to rewrite the game code to include every variation.

Closeup-edition - the whole game in the style of the closeups/cover art. Maybe make it scarier and darker too. And change the narrator to a scary sounding one.

Oh, and a quick fix for the normal SE to remove the narrator would be appreciated.

Someone should dress up as Guybrush, film it, and make a sprite of it, to make a photorealistic sprite. Wouldn't have worked at all, but would have been fun to look at animated.

Archived