Home

SMISE: Cursed Edition - sprite replacement project

Monkey Mania

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume the 25% of finished Guybrush are his walkcycle... could you post an animated GIF of that one?

BTW: GREAT work... I'll be thrilled if you get this done.

And I wish I could be of help here, as this is a project I REALLY would like to see finished. I was thinking about trying to "Cursify" (or "Tillerfy") the backgrounds, but just like with the sprites, I think that's beyond my capabilities.

Having worked on a few game mods over the years, might I suggest you start and finish one character completely, release it as a wip patch and then move on to the next character. Releasing as you go keeps interest up, and even if you get bogged down, you don't end up with 20 unfinished characters.

Ambitious project (and CMI style backgrounds would just be lovely, even if not in your scope).

I'm just hoping for a simple hair mod for Guybrush (and possibly Elaine). Irishsmile?

I'm working in sections. The first being Guybrush and Melee lookout. It will be released that way. So when a section is released, you won't have a completed Guybrush talking to an incomplete character.

Challenges include:

- Head alignment - getting the new heads to align with the body during talking animations. It is pixel sensitive. 1 pixel off and it messes up the entire animation.

- Character design - figuring out what these semi-realistic characters look like in CMI cartoon style.

- Fitting the newly designed characters within the old design's boundaries.

- Graphics that are split up into sections, such as close ups.

Those are the biggies, there will probably be more as I progress.

I wonder if there are any plugins that may be able to roughlt CMIise / cartoonise the SOME:SE background art (basically something akin to a cell-shader for 3D objects), then a few sky / cloud replacements would be in order, so the characters don't look like they're from another world.

Obviously redrawn backgrounds would be the way to go, but I doubt anyone with enough skill has enough time to volunteer to such a project.

That looks really nice, but the backgrounds definitely have to be Cursed too in order for it to work. :)

Since you're going to release it in steps, maybe I can keep up with you in providing backgrounds as you work on the characters? I'm going to work on the lookout screen right now. :)

That looks really nice, but the backgrounds definitely have to be Cursed too in order for it to work. :)

Since you're going to release it in steps, maybe I can keep up with you in providing backgrounds as you work on the characters? I'm going to work on the lookout screen right now. :)

That would be great!:thmbup1:

Archived