Home

Monkey Island SE VS Monkey Island 2

Benny

Just to see if it could be done, I did an experiment to see if the MI2 resource files could be used with MI-SE. Since they both use SCUMM V5 it was theoretically possible.

Surprisingly -

The results are...interesting.

It loads the forest room when in 'new mode' because that's MI1's equivalent room to the copyright room in MI2.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

LOL!

So what do you say? With some extensive work we already got our framework for a MI2: Special Edition?

Interesting to see that you get the same Guybrush with spyglass at the beginning cut off. Sometimes he appears, sometimes not. Might have to do with CPU 100% utilisation as he only appears when my Quadcore is quite busy rendering in the background.

LOL!

So what do you say? With some extensive work we already got our framework for a MI2: Special Edition?

Interesting to see that you get the same Guybrush with spyglass at the beginning cut off. Sometimes he appears, sometimes not. Might have to do with CPU 100% utilisation as he only appears when my Quadcore is quite busy rendering in the background.

As you say the spyglass only seems to appear when the pc is under heavy load.

Unfortunately there isn't much scope for using the engine for an MI2-SE, as you've seen from the video, the game crashes out once it tries to access a room that doesn't exist in the 'new mode'. I tried it with FOA and a few V5 demos and they crash even sooner, usually straight after the title screen.

well all the rooms have to have some sort of .XML descriptor somewhere.

I don't know oldschool SCUMM at all. Maybe you could explain how the new SE works?

So when I enter "room10", does it search for a similarly named "room10" in the SE artwork?

Archived