Home

Apology

True_Avery

For YOU it isn't, FOR YOU. We are all different as such different emotions affect each of us differently.

No, not really. I would consider myself to be one of the most depressed people I know of. The problem is partially due to a mental condition, but even I realize that I did it to myself. I'm not trying to be a thoughtless *** here, (I'm actually making a political statement!) I'm just saying that there are many people who would naturally become depressed for reasons that are within their control.

I wish anyone suffering from depression, whatever the cause is, to do whatever it takes to get over it. Avery has recognized her problem and now seeks to deal with it. I compliment that. Only people who are depressed and let it get the best of them should not think that it's something beyond their control and do nothing about it.

Doctors do sometimes over-diagnose mental conditions that can lead children to take powerful drugs like atteral, dexedrine, and rittaline simply because they don't fit in. It is important to segregate overdiagnosed people with those who genuinely have serious mental conditions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish anyone suffering from depression, whatever the cause is, to do whatever it takes to get over it. Avery has recognized her problem and now seeks to deal with it. I compliment that. Only people who are depressed and let it get the best of them should not think that it's something beyond their control and do nothing about it.

My understanding of psychology is very limited so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first stage of recovery from depression supposed to be feeling the "negative" emotions to their full extent? The stage which usually involves people growing beards and sitting in darkened rooms listening to the same song again again. Isn't the idea to allow "it" to "get the best" of them? You sound almost as though you support running away from one's feelings with your talk of "avoid[ing]" depression.

Anyway, I don't want to drag Ave's thread down with psycho-babble. I'll say again: Good luck, TA, and get well soon. You shall be missed by us all. :)

I'm for people NOT being depressed. I'm for people socializing, exercising, and doing new activities. These are long term solutions, but some may just be diagnosed and given drugs that offer short-term benefits that only go so far.

I won't draw this out, but only understand that depression may be attributed to causes that can be controlled. People don't like exercising, or say they don't have the time to do it, but that is a significant part of alleviating depression.

I'm just telling people not to lose confidence in themselves, but don't take a doctor's diagnosis as an excuse to think the cause is beyond your control. If you do, you often will act upon it and be less inclined to do what is outside your 'comfort zone'.

I'm not trying to be a thoughtless *** here, (I'm actually making a political statement!)
Don’t think you are being such, but I do think you are making assumptions without knowing anything of Avery beyond what she allows you to know on this forum.

How can you make any type of diagnoses or be judgmental on another person without knowing the facts?

Yes, there are document cases of medical professionals over diagnosing and over medicating, but that does not mean all medical professionals do so. Yes, some people can get over depression without medical advice, but that does not mean all people can do so.

I will not make any assumption to Avery’s problem out of respect for her and because I have no way of knowing.

I will say I went through sever depression and guilt in my 20s. It had nothing to do with chemical imbalance, any type of medical condition or anything else I could control. I wish I could have controlled the stimulus for my depression, but a 32 year-old drunk driver took care of that for me.

I wish you all the best Avery. You have been very pleasant when visiting us at tech forum, so you must be referring to other stuff elsewhere.

Seek someone to chat to. I spoke to a counsellor when I was going through some more overwhelming times when I finished high school. It was just chatting, often about my interests and plans, but it helped alot. I also recommend a female counsellor, Male counsellors are potentially creepy. Physical exercise is also really good (as Yuthura mentioned) Natural endorphins are betther than any meds, and can flush that worry out of your system naturally.

All things said, as much as there is a sense of community here, it is still impersonal - especially if you're not in the Skype Posse (©Astrotoy7 2009)

Remember to pop in to tech forum if you need some more help with that beauty youve constructed. Even the most stormy members of LFN find refuge there, we are neutral, like Switzerland sans farceurs

Good Luck ;)

Astro

@ Astro: Skype posse gonna bust you down, yo.

I'm aware of quite a lot of social groups in LF that I'm not a part of Astro. For example, Commander Q and some others have a nice group of friends who all hang out that I'm not a part of and that's cool. I'm not going to give them crap just because I'm not a part of their group or that they have a group that exists in the first place.

I've fallen back into depression lately, and its been particularly bad as of late.

Same here. Could you tell? :D

We're so much alike in our mood swings and how we deal with them that it's damn scary. The fact that they seem to happen at the same time is even scarier. It's why we play off of each other and fight like we do.

My condolences. Thankfully, though, it's fairly easily treatable. I've been on antidepressants for about a month and it's helped improve my mood.

That's great. For you. The only thing that SSRIs have ever done for me is give me diarrhea. That, and costing me $4.00/pill. :dozey:

For people like me there is no easy solution. I just have to deal with it in the least destructive manner possible, which usually means keeping most people at arm's length so that they can't use me for their emotional dumpster. This includes anyone who bouys their emotional well-being at the expense of mine, including most of my family. It may sound bleak, but that's life.

From my experience (25 years and counting), I can't in good conscience recommend therapy at all. I have run into too many unscrupulous, ruthlessly opportunistic therapists who were perfectly willing to sabotage my life in order to keep me on that couch and paying them $100.00+/hour to patronize me while they tried to control every aspect of my life.

For you or anyone in therapy, I have this advice: clandestinely tape all of your sessions. It worked wonders for me. :dev7:

Remember to pop in to tech forum if you need some more help with that beauty youve constructed. Even the most stormy members of LFN find refuge there, we are neutral, like Switzerland sans farceurs
:carms: Don’t listen to him Avery this is merely propaganda from a tech elitist. I know for a fact I am not welcomed in the tech forum. :xp:

"Remember the Alamo"

Antidepressants are only short-term solutions. I know that myself, as I've taken them and gone through the process of finding a miracle cure, getting used to it, and then becoming immune to the drug.

Exercise is not pleasant, but the benefits are what you get after it's done. The brain releases pleasure-inducing chemicals to counter the effects of physical discomfort that work in the same way as antidepressants. Only you don't take drugs to artificially alter the dopamine in your brain, which means you won't grow immune to the effects after time. If you only do activities that don't subject yourself to discomfort... not stress mind you... you will become more intolerant to change.

My point is that depression is a serious issue, but no one should assume it can be solved easily. It never can, so don't look to quick-fixes.

That's great. For you. The only thing that SSRIs have ever done for me is give me diarrhea. That, and costing me $4.00/pill. :dozey:
ssris are only one kind of antidepressant though.

Antidepressants are only short-term solutions. I know that myself, as I've taken them and gone through the process of finding a miracle cure, getting used to it, and then becoming immune to the drug.
cool anecdote bro

:carms: Don’t listen to him Avery this is merely propaganda from a tech elitist. I know for a fact I am not welcomed in the tech forum. :xp:

lolz... there's alot more to that than that one post, but omitting detail and context to support your point is indeed remarkably Amercian of you ;)

iraq-powell.jpg

@ Astro: Skype posse gonna bust you down, yo.

Is that how all you guys talk ? :p

and paying them $100.00+/hour to patronize me while they tried to control every aspect of my life.

That would be a Psychiatrist I imagine. You can see a counsellor at a community health service for next to nix, especially if you are unemployed or a student. They are not Psychiatrists and if theyre half decent will let you run the session, not vice versa.

mtfbwya

Archived