Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, has anyone produced a talkie version of SMI yet that a regular, non-programmer can use? I assume it will work via ScummVM, but perhaps not. This thread gets updated so intermittently that I don't know if anyone is still working on this project. Any update would be appreciated! Thanks!

Try following the steps xone posted, just in step 7, use this patch instead: (http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzj5ccnmjm)

For the patch, just extract it into your MONKEY folder that contains MONKEY.000 and MONKEY.001 (or MONKEY1.000 and MONKEY.001) and run INSTALL.BAT. Follow the instructions it gives.

For step 8, you put scummtr.exe in the MONKEY directory. Then you have to open the command prompt. In XP you can go to Start Menu > Run > type cmd > press enter. It's also in Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Once the prompt is open, navigate to the MONKEY directory (for instance, if it is C:\MONKEY, you would type cd c:\monkey and press enter. Once at the MONKEY directory, type scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H and press enter. If that doesn't work, you might have to use scummtr -cw -g monkeycd -of mi1.txt -h -H instead.

At step 9, you just put all the MP3 files and mi1.txt from step 8 and extract mkspeech to that directory and run mkspeech.exe.

Step 10 is similar to step 8.

I'm just going to go ahead and post that step-by-step list here since the link was the wrong one and navigating two different places was becoming rather difficult (I didn't add/change anything, so still follow the corrections above):

Well.. Isn't too hard to compile this project but you need read whole thread carefully. Sometimes you need search for needed tools using google.

OK. Here is what I have done (if I shouldn't write this all step-by-step instruction, moderator please delete this post).

0 ) YOU NEED TO BUY Your own copy of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition!

1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).

2 ) Extract audio\MusicOriginal.xwb (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip).

3 ) Now convert xma files to wav (tool to convert http://www.enbclan.com/download.php?f=/cod5/xWMAEncode.zip).

4 ) Convert WAV files to MP3/OGG/FLAC. Rename them starting track1.*

5 ) Extract audio\Speech.xwb (tool above)

6 ) Convert WAV files to MP3 (OGG or FLAC are not supported yet).

7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)

8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool: http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).

9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool: http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)

10) Now compile scumm script into the game files with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H

11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use ScummVM to play..

12) Enjoy and say Thanks to the authors!

Thank you jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 and all other hard working on this project!

PS. I have found SCUMMBLER (and needed environment) but I don't know how and when use dialog splitter :(

PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed. Can I correct it manually?

Alright, I've attempted this check off list but run into a few problems (note: I am not a programmer in any way, but I can follow lists fairly accurately).

First problem: xWMAEncode.exe could not or did not convert my files. The command prompt just blinked on the screen and disappeared again. I have a copy of Monkey Island CD music which I used instead since I couldn't convert the real music. I don't think this will cause an issue.

Second problem: This is the major issue. mkspeech.exe doesn't work for me. While the patcher works just fine, mkspeech tells me that it "Could not open "speech.info", whatever that is. Without mkspeech working, the entire talkie-conversion doesn't work making my efforts all in vain. I can't get the new mi1new.txt file or monster.so3 nor move on to step 10. Just to make sure things don't work at this step, I tried it on Scumm and it player just like it were the normal CD version, no talkie.

Can anyone help me with a solution to this problem? I'm so close to getting it all done but this one step seems to be killing any progress I've made. Thank you!

Speech.info is somewhere in your MI:SE files :) Try searching in game folders (Data?)

Ah, so it is. It is in the Audio folder. That little part should probably also be added to the instructions.

Okay, so I've successfully implemented The Secret of Monkey Island (CD/Talkie) edition. There were numerous errors in the mkspeech.exe install, stating something like 4100 things were modified but the remaining 4000 had errors (I neglected to write down the numbers unfortunately. I do have the missing.txt file, however if anyone wants it). Now, onto errors I've encountered in the first 10 minutes of play.

The Pirate Masters (?) in the SCUMM BAR are not very good at simultaneously chanting. "The Three Tests" (or whatever it is) didn't have audio, nor did a caption a bit prior to it. When they chant "Grog! Grog! Grog!" together, it comes out more like "Gra Gra Gra", being cut off at the ends. The next round of chanting also doesn't have audio nor does the trio of "Har Har Har"s. I'm guessing that simultaneous voices just don't work well with the speech implementation. The first and last lines of LOOM man don't play sadly.

I rather figured that there would be some audio errors since this still isn't out of beta, and overall it is very well done. I especially like the reimplementation of the dog in the bar. If there is any fairly easy way to correct these text problems, I can try, if someone could just give me some pointers. Thanks for all the hard work! This talkie version is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. It was there waiting for me. However, all the audio problems I noted in an earlier post are still present...mostly when multiple people talk simultaneously (e.g., the three pirates).

I was also wondering if there is any easy way to get the new Monkey Island music working with the original MI? I figure it's something simple, probably just decompressing a file or something, but I'm not sure how.

Call me dim, but I'm having some issues here. I'm assuming that all I need to make this work is:

(a) SOMI:SE purchased, downloaded and installed from Steam

(b) ScummVM (I'm using the version updated on August 25, 2009)

© The newly released installer exe

So here are my questions then:

1. When I launch the new installer, it asks me to select a folder containing the game. Which folder do I actually select? Do I use "the secret of monkey island special edition", do I continue to select "audio", or do I go all the way to "classdub"?

2. When the process finishes, I direct ScummVM to the "classdub" folder to find the game?

3. When it offers me the option of three versions of Monkey Island (CD, FM Towns, etc.) which one do I select? And are there any special settings I will subsequently need to adjust?

4. Finally, where do the CD audio files wind up in case I want to replace them?

Thanks!

1. I just selected the SMI folder and it worked.

2. Yes, direct ScummVM to classdub or rename and move classdub to somewhere else (probably the ScummVM folder).

3. Any version probably will work just fine but I believe LucasArts used the CD version for this remake.

4. Do you mean the new CD audio files? They don't get converted. You have to do that separately and figure out the order that they go in. I tried just renumbering them (subtracting one from each track#) but that didn't seem to work entirely. I still haven't figured this part out entirely. If you mean the original audio files from the original SMI, then those are the ones you are hearing behind the new speech.

I hope that helps.

OK ... I followed the above process, and here's what happens.

First, the installer gives me the following message at the very end:

Read 4573 entries from speech.info.

Could not open mapping.txt

Read 7463 lines from mi1.txt, 2483 lines have no matching entry.

Second, when the process is finished, only 24 mp3 files wind up in the classdub folder. Hence, when I try to direct ScummVM to that folder, it states that it can't find any games. When I direct ScummVM to the "audio" folder, on the other hand, it DOES find the game ... but it then informs me that I need to get music files from the CD. The game plays, but without music OR dialogue. So ... what am I doing wrong?

Just want to say well done on this amazing patch. It's not perfect but it's amazing just how much can be done with SCUMM games, and so easily as well.

I tried to get the talkie version to work on DS, with SCUMMVM DS. It works, but the voice quality is too high, so whenever someone talks it slows down and goes crackly. I managed to get the Special Edition music to work on SCUMMVM DS by reducing the quality to 32kbps, which is a bit muffled, but the sound quality isn't perfect on DS anyway. Would it be at all possible for a second version of the installer to be made which compresses the sound for DS?

Also another thing; whenever I rip music from my MI1 CD, the track from the beginning of the game when Guybrush meets the lookout is always missing. Which number is this track supposed to be, so I can add it back in?

Thanks in advance. :D

OK ... I followed the above process, and here's what happens.

First, the installer gives me the following message at the very end:

Read 4573 entries from speech.info.

Could not open mapping.txt

Read 7463 lines from mi1.txt, 2483 lines have no matching entry.

Second, when the process is finished, only 24 mp3 files wind up in the classdub folder. Hence, when I try to direct ScummVM to that folder, it states that it can't find any games. When I direct ScummVM to the "audio" folder, on the other hand, it DOES find the game ... but it then informs me that I need to get music files from the CD. The game plays, but without music OR dialogue. So ... what am I doing wrong?

Mine did the same thing :*( I really want this to work but I'm too lazy to download all the other stuff and do the long way around :p Help please.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. One thing I'm almost tempted to do is to take all the voice files and convert them to a much lower bitrate so they sound all compressed, just to make it feel like they were recorded back in 1990 when the game first came out. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just crazy like that.

Archived