Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

One thing I'm almost tempted to do is to take all the voice files and convert them to a much lower bitrate so they sound all compressed, just to make it feel like they were recorded back in 1990 when the game first came out. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just crazy like that.
It's not the compression which makes it sound 1990 like. In fact, compression were rarely used at all, since it uses up much CPU time, usually too much for the time.

What it would make it sound 1990 like is resampling and requantization. Fate of Atlantis is 11025 Hz, 8 bit, mono. DOTT and Sam & Max use 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono for voice files.

In order to keep a tolerable signal to noise ratio, most games have also quite a lot of dynamic compression and a limiter applied. Which results in a steady level well above the quantization noise, but this practice also tends to sound lifeless.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With everyone talking about the installer, I understand that all spoken lines are now correctly assigned to the text-lines in game? No more mismatches?

They are not all fixed. I got it installed correctly but all simultaneous speech either doesn't work or cuts off and a few lines here and there don't work. I wrote up a list earlier but no one commented on it or offered to help.

They are not all fixed. I got it installed correctly but all simultaneous speech either doesn't work or cuts off and a few lines here and there don't work. I wrote up a list earlier but no one commented on it or offered to help.

And the installer doesn't work AT ALL for some of us, for reasons also unknown.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Silvor. The project still hasn't left Beta yet no one seems to care. There are still major problems and no one ever notes them or tries to fix them. Simultaneous speech doesn't work and there are still lines that don't speak as early as 1 minute into the game. The game isn't finished, just as Silvor said.

Didn't someone suggest swapping all SE-graphics with complete transparent images, to reveal the classic version underneath? And is that how the SE works anyway?

Not sure that would work, I'm don't think the new and old graphics are completely aligned, the new art is also widescreen.

Archived