Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

Changing the graphics isn't that hard. It must be fairly easy to find out.

Edit: Here's an idea, making all graphics but the inventory and verbs transparent. So you'll have classic backgrounds and characters, but still have the SE interface. Not the best of solutions, but it should work alright, IF the SE graphics are actually ON the classic graphics.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Changing the graphics isn't that hard. It must be fairly easy to find out.

Edit: Here's an idea, making all graphics but the inventory and verbs transparent. So you'll have classic backgrounds and characters, but still have the SE interface. Not the best of solutions, but it should work alright, IF the SE graphics are actually ON the classic graphics.

Not sure about that.

Remember that the mouse pointer and inventory functions are different when you play with the new graphics as well as the new art being widescreen and the old art not.

Congrats!

Making it possible to play Somi, with new speech. ie Somi the Talkie Version.

and To the Somi Se team for providing the voices, and making this possible.

after all no data, = no byte change. = nothing to work with.

Well.. Isn't too hard to compile this project but you need read whole thread carefully. Sometimes you need search for needed tools using google.

OK. Here is what I have done (if I shouldn't write this all step-by-step instruction, moderator please delete this post).

0 ) YOU NEED TO BUY Your own copy of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition!

1 ) After install you need get MI CD files that are inside SE version. Extract

Monkey1.pak and get classic/en/monkey1.* (tool to extract:http://helicoid.de/scumm/extractpak.zip).

2 ) Extract audio\MusicOriginal.xwb (tool to extract: http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip).

3 ) Now convert xma files to wav (tool to convert http://www.enbclan.com/download.php?f=/cod5/xWMAEncode.zip).

4 ) Convert WAV files to MP3/OGG/FLAC. Rename them starting track1.*

5 ) Extract audio\Speech.xwb (tool above)

6 ) Convert WAV files to MP3 (OGG or FLAC are not supported yet).

7 ) Now You need patch Your Monkey files that you extracted - You should backup files then you will have

original files if you fail (here is patch http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1)

8 ) After patching extract scumm script with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H (the tool:

http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/scummtr.exe).

9 ) Now if you have all MP3 files and mi1.txt in one folder you can make monster.so3 and mi1new.txt (here is the tool:

http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip)

10) Now compile scumm script into the game files with command scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H

11) Monkey files (Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001) copy with all 24 tracks and Monsetr.so3 to the same directory and use

ScummVM to play..

12) Enjoy and say Thanks to the authors!

Thank you jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 and all other hard working on this project!

**PS. dialog splitter included in cocomonk22's patch now!

PS2. Using all steps described above I can play with speeches but sometimes there is no voices or voices are messed.

Can I correct it manually?

**= Just another little update/review:noel:.

I've made simple installer - you just have to choose game folder, and press enter in few moments - http://www.storage.to/get/fSVZlV5P/install.exe

**Installer extract new files to -> MISE\audio\classdub <- folder with patched game

**Installer renames/REorders your extracted MusicOriginal.xwb music files also. and compress to mp3.

PN: The installer does delete

del mi1.txt

del mi1new.txt

del missing.txt

Which does not help with the updating of the mapping.txt, other then that, it checks files via MD5.exe which is great.

If someone could update the first page with all the tool updates for this project, that would be great!.

Excellent works guys!

--Just one thing, on the updating, Monster.So3

Read 4573 entries from speech.info.

Read 7463 lines from mi1.txt, 2483 lines have no matching entry.

Could not find SLP_71_gh-room_9_1.mp3

Wrote 4522 samples to monster.so3.

Nothing added so far!. WIP.

cocomonk22 Patch tool -: updates monkey1.001 and monkey1.000
jott's Mkspeech tool -: updates monkey1.001 and monkey1.000

how I have come to understand it, is that, if you, Process the patch tool first

Code 1 sample

BSPATCH.EXE MONKEY1.000.bup MONKEY1.000 PATCH.000
BSPATCH.EXE MONKEY1.001.bup MONKEY1.001 PATCH.001

PN: Bspatch is now updated with no need for BZIP2.EXE anymore.

then back up the new Monkey1.000 and Monkey1.001 to a new folder. then process....

Code 2 sample

scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H
mkspeech.exe
scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H

which create your Monster.so3 file. Then if I add to mapping.txt, it wont let me add anymore samples, because the Monkey1 files have already been updated to something,

So if you run ref 'Code 2 sample' again it wont write any samples and the Monster.so3 file goes to 1kb only.

so until a fix is made for this, I recommend, to copy the patch backup files in folder,

and overwrite them with the new ones, ie. Monkey1.001 and Monkey1.000,

then if you run, code 2 sample again it works, with the mapping added to it.

Big thanks to jott, LogicDeLuxe, cocomonk22 for all your great work. :thmbup1:

and thank you to ronzbig1 for making the installer.

PS. I hope one of the testers have been working on the mapping.txt.

I think it usefull to upload your mapping.txt files, and compare and merge. This Fine tuning work should be done soon.

Then post for a final patch to be done with all files needed to be included.

Perhaps one of you guys might want to tackle the bug '0.00- km' in Xcom Interceptor next!, just a thought!. :raise:

**Edit-----

OK..

I have looking for that sentence inside missing.txt and I've found:

MISS : "Hey, don't forget we're short on help because of this whole LeChuck thing." - add 1229,0=sampleno

So I have add to mapping.txt:

1229,0=y

where y is sample number, but how can I check what sample number is PL3_28_bar_48_4.mp3 ??

***edit

OK. I've found speech tool on helicoid server (jott's server I guess), so I have samples order..

What?? I must be missing something here,

So, just what did you find out, How do you get the 'Sampleno'.

if you know the filename (ie GUY_30_store_5_1.mp3 for below) and found entry in missing.txt,

How do you know the x,y=sampleno

Someone please clarify.

MISS : "\xFF\x0A\xFB\x04\xFF\x0A\x00\x00\xFF\x0A\x0A\x00\xFF\x0A\x00\x00"Davey Jones\x0F Lockers:\xFF\x01The last word in theft-, fire-, and grog-resistant storage devices."" - add 1744,0=sampleno

Char: Safe in store

**It has been mentioned that a x,y=-2 value of Sampleno = disable, thou not tested!

Its easy..err..ier when mkspeech has already filled in the Sampleno for you Like in these examples.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2653174&postcount=62

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2653189&postcount=67

*** both of these, only example what to do if mkspeech has already filled in

'Sampleno' for you. but how do you do it if its not filled in(x,y=Sampleno)?? :confused:

I've run into a problem, with sampleno filled in by mkspeech

I add the line to mapping.txt, but it gets said in the wrong order, Guy=man and man=Guy and I tryed to swap them around in mapping.txt but alas, no joy.

MULTI: "Nice talking to you.", room (79) and interaction_index (91) matches - add  4672,0=2914 for sample GUY_79_cu-bar-1_9_1
MULTI: "Nice talking to you.", room (79) and interaction_index (91) matches - add  4672,0=2969 for sample MAN_79_cu-bar-1_22_3

they are both valid, because, Man says it, and then Guy after, im using the first name of file. althou It should be the other way around.

Char: First pirate by the door

talk and exit.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You can not redistribute the modified 000 and 001 files since they contain copyrighted material, hence the reason for the patches that only contain the changes to those files. The patches may fall under derivative work classification, but game modifications typically are not pursued by copyright holders.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently editing "The Secret of Monkey Island". If it turns out the way I want it, you could select between MT-32, General MIDI and CD audio in one version. (Not sure about Adlib yet).

I also found and fixed several bugs of the original game as well as those introduced in the enhanced CD. This includes such obvious ones as the storekeeper closed the door AFTER he walks to the counter, cosmetic ones such as correct location of "Rum. Jam." subtitles and some highlight colors using the floppy colors instead of matching the new MI2 interface, messed up jokes like the "Still ten o'clock"-joke, aligned the upside down text at the circus, and more.

I've altered many scripts to be talkie friendly, so this can be ultimately used for the CD Talkie Edition Project.

CD audio will only work with ScummVM though, since native SCUMM doesn't support it with the talkie enhanced EXE.

No upload yet, since I want to get things working first, and then I'm going to work on a patching tool, which can be freely distributed. Currently, I did quite a few things, which the available tools can't automate yet. This includes creating a true monster.sou with 22 kHz, 8 bit throughout, some samples I lowered in volume, like the "pssst." in Melee town. And while some samples are premixed like "Grog. Grog. Grog.", others like "Rum. Jam." are not, so I had to do it in a sample editor.

If someone wants to help, two things of the FATE.EXE bother me, so anyone experienced in EXE hacking, the following would be very nice:

Edit: You should use the latest executable from here (which I hope it is): ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/fatecd.exe (which can be unpacked with 7zip)

- Increase the music volume. The music plays significantly softer then in non-talkie versions of V5 SCUMM (ie. MONKEY.EXE, MONKEY2.EXE, non-talkie ATLANTIS.EXE), probably because the voice acting was recorded that soft in "Fate of Atlantis". Currently, I have to turn my MT-32 about 26 dB louder then my soundcard output to get a sensible volume match which is pretty extreme (testing in DOSbox).

- On the command line, using 'g' instead of 'r' for using GMIDI.IMS, which replaces the redundant ROLAND.IMS.

- And the ultimate bonus, if you could re-add CD audio support to FATE.EXE. Command line boot parameters has to be enabled for this too, since I use it to tell the game to use CD audio instead of MIDI. Debug mode is not needed fir this, since unlike the other boot parameters, I do the check outside the debug code block.

Thanks guys.

But kinda disappointed that the game get stuck in the very last chapter

the part where lechuck says "what... i.. um..."

I noticed this too. There are more problems like this, which was caused due to buggy descumm output. My dialog line splitter worked on those buggy scripts and scummbler compiled the missleading blocks in a way that some code is never executed. I can fix those problems too, by manually fixing the decompiled scripts. I filed a bug report at ScummVM, but somehow I doubt that they will fix it anytime soon, since it is not critical for the ScummVM project.

Thank LogicDeluxe

I just like to appreciate the work you all done.

The experience of playing Monkey Island again with voices is refreshing

the nostalgic feel with a touch of new, just make the game more enjoyable as it already was

and no, changing the art style for me ruins the game.. old school pixel art seriously rules!

Although the game has some issues, like some line has no voices or line said by wrong characters..

but it doesn't hinders the enjoyment of the game

Again, thanks for the AWESOME work!

Hope to see the future of this great project :)

Although the game has some issues, like some line has no voices or line said by wrong characters..
I'm just about to fix as many as possible. Wrong voices shouldn't be there in the final patch. Some missing lines are unavoidable, due to sloppy work with the SE to begin with. This includes one swordmaster instult, and some of Stan's price ideas.

I restricted lines with variables in it to those which actually have a matching voice file and use the placeholder lines otherwise, like "I have enough money for anything I need to buy." and "I have enough money for anything I need to buy, except a ship.". Yeah, I did implement a check, so the latter is used when the three trials are done AND you didn't got a ship yet.

Some further lines which don't have an exact match can use a close enough approximation. For instance, the swordmaster says "OK, you win.", but the voice file says "I give up, you win.".

And similar to the FM-Towns version, I include some more sounds.

I also replace most of the very low quality ingame sounds with those of the SE. Native SCUMM V5 plays 22kHz, 8bit, mono just fine. (MONKEY.001 increases to about 6.7MB)

Here is my version 0.5 beta of the CD talkie patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?ws7qat4n77cra9i

You need Python installed for this to work. I hope to get rid of this requirement in the final release.

Put the MI1_Classic_Talkie_CD_builder folder where you have MISE.exe installed.

You'll find more detailed instructions and a list of changes in the readme.

Bug reports are always welcome. Post them right here.

Unfortunately extract_classic.exe crashes (under Win7 Pro 64bit):

errorbke.jpg

All the other steps seem to work, although of course there are some missing-files errors after that extract_classic-step. Running the exe on its own gives the same error.

Edit: Okay, it works in XP-mode (so it works in Windows XP).

I'll test it some other time.

But the first "bug" I've encountered happens when talking to the Men of Low Moral Fiber: I guess it's impossible to have the short guy giggle during the lines of the other pirates? Anyway, when he gets hit on the head, the sound seems to be wrong... although I'm not sure, what sound is played in the SE.

But the first "bug" I've encountered happens when talking to the Men of Low Moral Fiber: I guess it's impossible to have the short guy giggle during the lines of the other pirates?
There are 16 short random giggle samples, which I will play randomly in places where the conversation pauses. That should be easy enough to do.

Anyway, when he gets hit on the head, the sound seems to be wrong... although I'm not sure, what sound is played in the SE.
It feels that the sound plays a bit early indeed. It is where the subtitles are, but I suppose I can increase the delay slightly to better fit the animation.

Besides that, there is a bug indeed. There is supposed to appear 2 random letter between "-- " and "k --". This is easy to fix, as I just have to correct the indexes into the string.

There are 10 grunt variation, which I will play randomly in the next version.

New version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/050gb5o60559al8/MI1_CD_Talkie_Version_Builder_0.6.zip

v0.6 beta:

- Python not required anymore.

- Piranha poodles freezing before eating the meat. (all versions)

- Navigator malfunctions. (all versions)

- Ghost key cloning. (all versions)

- Storekeeper walks through mid-air when shortening the first open safe cutscene early. (all versions)

- "Use pewter wad with ???" can cause an error if it disappears from inventory, but the command isn't executed yet, ie. Guybrush is still walking to the target object.

- Men of Low Moral Fiber missing text, timing, giggling, hitting and subtitling improved.

- Cast spelling. (original SE errors)

- Firework sounds working in the DOS version. Not during conversation, though, which is a limitation of native SCUMM V5.

- On the Sea Monkey, dripping water animation speed. (enhanced CD)

Archived