Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

spiffysmall.gif

Would this work?

That looks almost usable to me.

The background gradient should use Bayer dithering to be consistent with the other closeups. (Very noticeable at the Loom guy)

And Guybrush's leg seems odd. It could use a bit more diameter at the bottom end, I guess. And some dithering too. Any type which fits, as there really is no consistency to break with that.

And of course, his pants and shoes should be dark gray instead of blue.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that would be really awesome would be to make a Curse-like graphic version of the game with voices, and make that run in ScummVM. Maybe even do that with Monkey 2? Hey, a guy can dream, right? Oh,and LogicDeluxe, I have some audition files for the I Wonder What Happened flash that's going on within the Telltale forums, here you go http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9TNNGOZZ http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RDHYV7GI http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I4S0GK0

spiffysmall.png

Well I fixed the leg width and the pants/shoe colour, but I don't know how to dither the background or the leg. Sorry.

I managed to do that. 239 colors used.

spiffy.png

The background colors are copied from Mancomb and use the right dithering.

Or should the gradient a bit stronger like this?

spiffy3.png

I'm having a problem, and I can't get it to run properly.

I downloaded the patch, followed the instructions, finished the program, then tried to run the game with ScummVm. I opened the game folder as usual, and it said "ScummVm could not find any game in specified directory." I looked at the game folder, and saw that it was missing the monkey1.000 and monkey1.001 files, and that was probably the problem. Just to try it, I copied the files from my normal CD copy of MI1 into the talkie folder, then running ScummVm, but of course that made the game just play without the patch.

Could you help me with this? I really want to get it to work.

Use this PNG with transparence to reedit the colours:

HNVkf.png

Like this?

spiffy7.png

I thickened the leg here, though it still looks a bit thin with the proper aspect ratio. Doing it any thicker makes the shoe seem out of place somehow.

Anyway, the transparent edges were very helpful indeed.

Could you help me with this? I really want to get it to work.
Did you get any error message when running the patch?

Well, you might missed it between all those texts. My next version checks some error levels and pauses the processing when errors are detected, so you can read the messages properly.

What files are there in the folder? That list might give me an idea what's wrong.

Now the dog is going to be stretched. He needs to be squished again.
If I could have a PNG with transparent edges with the appropriate aspect ratio, I'll redo it just like this.

Maybe, we should use a slightly different frame, so that we don't have the left edge of Guybrush's leg to bother with, and at the same time, the dog would be slightly less cut off.

I also forgot to mention that I've run the setup 3 times now, and it always produces the same results. The first time with the last version, the other two with this one.

Anyway, the contents of the folder MI1_CD_Talkie_Version are:

readme (text)

monster.sou

ADLIB.IMS

gmidi.ims

monkey.exe

ROL_330.IMS

ROL_332.IMS

ROL_334.IMS

ROL_336.IMS

SPEAKER.IMS

cd_music (folder)

se_music (folder)

I hope this helps.

Just a sugestion... if possible to implement :Pir2:
Probably possible. But I don't think this really fits for several reasons.

- The story is told from Guybrush's point of view, which makes a closeup rather out of place here.

- The style doesn't really fit. Other closeups are more photo realistic, while this one is an obvious drawing.

- The colors don't match. The entire face is off and that bright coat looks more like Bob's then LeChuck's.

I also forgot to mention that I've run the setup 3 times now, and it always produces the same results.
What version of MI1SE do you have?

What happens, if you run extract_classic.exe inside the tools folder?

LogicDeLuxe, are we allowed to "transport" a fan-made localized version of the classic Monkey Island to your CD Talkie Edition?

Credits would of-course be kept as they are, and our work would be released only as a binary patch for the resulting resource files MONKEY.000 and MONKEY.001, to be applied on top of your setup batch file.

Just a test, this is what the first version (my version) would look with the correct aspect ratio next to the second version (LeChuck Norris') (both edited by LogicDeLuxe)

monkeytest1.jpgmonkeytest2.jpg

My version isn't stretched, but LeChuck Norris' one looks smoother due to the anti-aliasing.

EDIT: The reason Spiffy is squeezed/crushed is because SCUMM games were rendered at a different aspect ratio than they were to be displayed, meaning the 16:10 image was to be stretched vertically to 4:3.

LogicDeLuxe, are we allowed to "transport" a fan-made localized version of the classic Monkey Island to your CD Talkie Edition?
No problem. You should wait with that for the final version, though.

A German version is planned as well and will be likely available at http://la-patches.gandimann.de/ eventually.

Some scripts were even altered to be more localization friendly.

Also, toggling narrator support is there for "Deep in the Caribbean", "The Isle of Melee". It just needs a voice files.

One more sugestion: Put the sound track of the Monkey4 in the mute scenes of the game.

To illustrate, I did this video:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

PS.: Ignore the brazilian translations in the scenes.

I remember that exist a program that export and convert the Monkey4's .m4b files to MP3... but I don't have it anymore...

But I did the video with the sound track that i found here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com

I figured out the problem. I had previously extracted some other stuff from the source files, and the .pak file was extracted to standard folders, and I had a .pak named Copy of Monkey1.pak. I just renamed this to Monkey1.pak, and it worked just fine. At least, it's something like that.

But I did the video with the sound track that i found here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com
I won't make stuff from other Monkey Island games a requirement. Of course, you could just replace the existing tracks with whatever you want. I know, that won't be much, but this is not in the scope of this project. The under water environment track will be probably in the next version too.

Nice ships in the background of the Scumm Bar, though.

Can I have that image? If I can figure out a way, I'd like to have them as objects, so they appear there at the beginning of the game, and later can be removed when all the customers are gone.

Are there more altered graphics not seen in the video (other then changed texts)?

What tools did you use to encode those images?

How about this one?

spiffy8.png

Edit: This is what it will look in game:

spiffy8s.png

The position of the shoe makes it seem Guybrush is on a higher platform than Spiffy, or Spiffy has really short legs, especially if you compare the Guybrush and Spiffy sprites. Not sure if this can be adjusted much since the design of the top of Guybrush's shoe is a little odd.

The position of the shoe makes it seem Guybrush is on a higher platform than Spiffy, or Spiffy has really short legs, especially if you compare the Guybrush and Spiffy sprites. Not sure if this can be adjusted much since the design of the top of Guybrush's shoe is a little odd.
Indeed, cutting the shoe any further looks silly. The Guybrush custom sprite is too small to cut out a higher part if his body, despite the HD nature. The alternative would be just using the dog without any part of Guybrush.

How about this:

spiffy9s.png

Archived