Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won't make stuff from other Monkey Island games a requirement. Of course, you could just replace the existing tracks with whatever you want. I know, that won't be much, but this is not in the scope of this project. The under water environment track will be probably in the next version too.

Nice ships in the background of the Scumm Bar, though.

Can I have that image? If I can figure out a way, I'd like to have them as objects, so they appear there at the beginning of the game, and later can be removed when all the customers are gone.

Are there more altered graphics not seen in the video (other then changed texts)?

What tools did you use to encode those images?

eitLe.jpg

The old and new version of the dock.

1) Ok, I got it. But in this project, sometimes the track is the same in some places. Is it possible to put different tracks for different places in the next version of your project? And if so, can you show me the way to make this by miself?

I made a quick list of twenty tracks that repeat and/or are mute.

NEWS TRACKs

30. SCUMM BAR's Kitchen

31. Store (MI4 26. Bait Shop)

32. Empty Church

33. Circus Outside

34. Troll Bridge (MI4 38. The Swamp)

34. Ship Emporium when Stan is not there

35. Smirk's House Outside (MI4 16. The Harbor)

36. Smirk's House Inside

37. Meathook's House Outside (MI4 17. Outside Meathook's)

38. Meathook's House Inside (MI4 B03. Meathook's)

39. Mansion Outside (MI4 09. Outside the Governor's Mansion)

40. Mansion Inside (MI4 10. Inside the Governor's Mansion)

41. Mansion Fight Scene

42. Guybrush on Underwater (MI4 B07. The Knuttin Atoll)

43. Street Swordfighting

44. Carla's Swordfighting (MI4 14. Talking with Carla and Otis)

45. SCUMM BAR Empty

46. SCUMM BAR's Kitchen Empty

47. The Voodoo Curse Scene in the Ship

48. Guybrush's Monkey Island landing

49. Banana Tree and the Beachs

50. Monkey Island Fort (MI4 B24. Herman Toothrot)

51. Jojo's Jungle (MI4 B34. Meeting a Monkey in the Woods)

52. Monkey Island Pond (MI4 B24. Herman Toothrot)

53. Mountain Top (MI4 B23. Monkey Island Map)

53. Underworld (MI4 B28. The Lava Field)

To not oversize your project, my idea is to make an aditional/optional pack with those tracks.

Don't know if it's your intention to fix every single issue in the game, so...

I also made four remixes that could be used in the game: http://www.4shared.com/file/Azb9Hg2I/MI1_newSO.html

-SCUMM BAR with Pirates Talking

-SCUMM BAR's Kitchen

-Fettuccine Brothers Circus Outside

-Ship Emporium when Stan is not there

2) Well, about those images, my project is to re-do (first) just the scenes that have somekind of translation job. About this shipdeck, I was just playing around and it tourned pretty cool, so I decided to keep it. You can get it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/Yo4SGbIs/MI1_dock.html

3) And I found a issue in this version. A voice without a subtitle in the store. http://www.4shared.com/video/f--ccJhR/mi1_error1.html

The old and new version of the dock.
Nice work.
Is it possible to put different tracks for different places in the next version of your project? And if so, can you show me the way to make this by miself?
You can easily define new SOUN resources for CD tracks. It is documented here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCUMM/Technical_Reference/Sound_resources#Early_v5_-_CD_tracks

Of course, you need to alter the scripts to play those you need too.

Currently, sound 179 and up are free to use. Unless I decide to implement some more sounds. I probably won't though, unless it needs to be played while the screen is scrolling, which isn't possible with monster.sou

Don't know if it's your intention to fix every single issue in the game, so...
I don't think that I'm going to fix every architectural issue. Believable connectivity was never their strength it seems. I mainly fix obvious bugs.
About this shipdeck, I was just playing around and it tourned pretty cool, so I decided to keep it.
Nice, but on second thought, not really in the scope of my intention. I always thought, that the dock felt too empty at the beginning. But including the ships has the opposite effect when all pirates are gone. Then it suddenly feels too cluttered.

I would consider implementing it, if I could have a version without the ships too, but with the dock in the background still there. I would prefer to keep the original Scumm Bar, though.

We could reuse the sunset object for the ships, which is still there, but not used.

3) And I found a issue in this version. A voice without a subtitle in the store.
Thanks for pointing that out. Indeed, another script bug present in every single version of the game. I already fixed a very similar issue in the circus. It's the kind, which only gets noticed when voiced.

Btw. you don't have to make a video for bugs when they are reliable reproducible. Just note which line doesn't work properly would do.

The Secret of Monkey Island - Ultimate Talkie Edition Project V0.9 beta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0I4TKF6T

- Ultimate Talkie Edition Project credits added.

- Adlib Soundtrack added.

- FLAC and Ogg Vorbis support for highest quality in ScummVM.

- Removed the panning when talking to Spiffy in closeup modes, since it doesn't serve a purpose here.

- Ram leak when interrupting playing sounds. (v0.6 beta)

- "<ADVERTISEMENT>" broken when stump joke or death joke was presented first. (v0.8 beta)

- Using alt-w causes a script error during the intro sequence. (v0.8 beta)

- Scumm Bar does not scroll after going through all Spiffy dialog. (v0.5 beta)

- Voodoo antiroot crate requires the tools when opening it again. (all versions)

- Voodoo antiroot crate comment "I don't see anything special about it. Except that big glowing voodoo antiroot inside.", even if Guybrush already grabbed it. (all versions)

- Improved cauldron colors in the voodoo shop. (all VGA versions)

- Storekeeper's comment on Guybrush pretending to wait tables. (all versions).

- Estevan's eye colors. Now it looks like a glas eye again. (enhanced CD)

- Estevan's fear eye animation. (all VGA versions)

- Candles at Stan's not animated. (all versions)

- Candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen are now animated as they were in the demo.

- Swordmaster invisible after showing the kidnapper's note. (v0.5 beta)

- More sound tweaking: Jail doors and chests included. And it should run fine in DOS now.

- Some more ambient tracks.

- Punch sound added to Men of Low Moral Fiber.

Again, excellent work.

- Voodoo antiroot crate comment "I don't see anything special about it. Except that big glowing voodoo antiroot inside.", even if Guybrush already grabbed it. (all versions)

Is Guybrush supposed to take the whole root? I always assumed that he grabbed a small part of it.

Is Guybrush supposed to take the whole root? I always assumed that he grabbed a small part of it.
I think, picking up the whole root was the point. It belongs to the cannibals, and Guybrush brings it back. And the inventory is pretty clear on that, too.

This was a pretty obvious bug, anyway. Guybrush did also say, that the crate is empty, while open.

Just played the new version - checked out some of the fixes etc. near the beginning of the game and I'm loving it so far! = )

Not sure whether it's still worth working on my version of the Spiffy closeup, but I'll carry on with it when I've got time - mine is scratch-drawn based on the scan of the EGA version, though I've made sure it's aspect-ratio corrected. I'm partway through altering the proportions to look a little more realistic, similar to the added realism between the original EGA portraits and the VGA ones in the original game. I've added a bone, too, as the SE did it to match the small sprite in the SCUMM bar and I think it makes sense. I haven't had much time to work on it for a few days though, so at present it only has very basic shading. If anyone thinks they can replicate the shading style used on the VGA portraits, if you feel it'd be useful for me to post what I've got for you to mess about with then let me know, I guess.

Either way, if the current edit of the SE one is to be used (it's probably far more professional-looking than the one I'm attempting from scratch), it needs altering a little to fit in with the style of the other portraits. I'm a fan of the idea of shrinking the dog down and adding the leg back in (that way there's room for Spiffy's dialogue to appear above him rather than overlaying him), but it'll need to be modified a bit to look more like the realistic style of the other portraits - particularly the shape and texture of the tights/socks or whatever it is he wears down there on his leg. The dog's fur could also do with a little dithering to make it look a little more realistic; the only other main problem I can see is that the blood dripping off the bone doesn't entirely seem to fit the style either - it could do with redrawing, as at the moment the stylised blood looks more like some sort of web. I know some people say that the more realistic portraits clash a little with the rest of the game, but since all the others are already in that style I think it's important to make sure the Spiffy one fits in. If you reckon it'd be more productive to attempt this than to continue with my own scratch-built version, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Also, one dialogue bug I've noticed so far; while talking to Spiffy, if you choose to say "A-ROOF!" as your second dialogue choice, Spiffy will reply "A-roof?" in his own voice, but then say "Ruff" in Guybrush's voice. = S

Finally; hoping LeChuck Norris will be willing to produce a version of the dock with just the extra dock + ships added and none of the other changes; that and editing a version to remove the ships and just leave the new dock! That's one change I could get behind, as it adds a little more piratey-ness and the ships in dock have appeared in at least one official version of MI1 (the SE). = )

If anyone thinks they can replicate the shading style used on the VGA portraits, if you feel it'd be useful for me to post what I've got for you to mess about with then let me know, I guess.
Here is what I used:

gradientj.png

Feel free to use it as a background. If possible, keep those colors in order, as SCUMM works more efficient that way.

Also, one dialogue bug I've noticed so far; while talking to Spiffy, if you choose to say "A-ROOF!" as your second dialogue choice, Spiffy will reply "A-roof?" in his own voice, but then say "Ruff" in Guybrush's voice. = S
Just fixed.

The LogicDeluxe's job is sure amazing, no doubt! He's letting both apparence of the game and experience of playing even better.

I'm hopping to see this finished soon. And btw, about the classic LeChuck's Revenge, are you planning to do the same with it in the future? (Say "yes", hehe)

About the shipdock, see below:

HcB9Ns.jpg

256 colors version + bar's door fixed can be downloaded here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/PYmQd7FR/MI1_TE_Dock.html

And about this candles, are you intended to animate it too?

hUUkA.jpg

About the shipdock, see below:
Well, does not really fit in with all those altered buildings.

I would appreciate seeing your enhancing job finished and available as an English version too, though.

I'm willing to help coding the ships object in, so that they only appear until all the pirates are gone.

And about this candles, are you intended to animate it too?
If I can have an appropriate animation. Each candle with one alternative frame should do. That would be the way it's done in the kitchen.

The church closeup is probably much more work than this. And the correct clipping has to be implemented too, which is no issue in the Scumm Bar. No promises here.

I don't know if this is fixable, but what always bothered me in the SE was the timing of Guybrush's head turning during the first dialogue with the Fettucini brothers. He turns his head exactly when one of the Brothers starts talking, but I think it should be delayed juuuust a tiny bit (as if they talk faster than he can react). Some timings are great though, i.e. when they introduce themselves... "That's us!" - "My brother Alfredo..." - "... and my brother Bill."

I had no idea that this "CD Talkie Edition" project was actually a "Deluxe Edition" project. Wow!

Indeed, cutting the shoe any further looks silly. The Guybrush custom sprite is too small to cut out a higher part if his body, despite the HD nature. The alternative would be just using the dog without any part of Guybrush.

How about this:

spiffy9s.png

I reckon this would work wonderfully... but I have to ask -- what's with the orange background? Spiffy was always supposed to be seen against a black background. Just my 2c.

As for the more fixes: There's a bug that was introduced in the CD version that's ALWAYS irritated me, but has never been fixed. Guybrush should only progress through his "It's always 10 O'Clock" lines when he's left the clock screen and come back. You can see this on every version of the game apart from the CD one. It completely ruins the joke and I'd love to see it fixed!

Guybrush should only progress through his "It's always 10 O'Clock" lines when he's left the clock screen and come back. You can see this on every version of the game apart from the CD one. It completely ruins the joke and I'd love to see it fixed!
Did you actually play this "Deluxe Edition"? It was among the first things I fixed. :)

It's very hard to figure out what's going on with this thread.
Just get the SE, download the patch: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0I4TKF6T

Install it and enjoy. If you notice anything wrong, just report the issue right here.

In case you (or anyone else) don't have the SE yet and wonder if it's worth buying it just for this patch, watch some actual gameplay here:

I think we're getting a little overboard with adding so much special edition content to the patch. The point from the beginning was to have the voices from the SE in the original game because people preferred the original graphics. Then it evolved into fixing bugs and adding different soundtrack possibilities. Fine. But let's not get carried away here. I mean, if you want to see the special edition just play the special edition, right?

The issue with low music volume in DOS is solved. No help needed anymore here. It will be in the next version.

I think we're getting a little overboard with adding so much special edition content to the patch.
I don't intend to add much special edition content anyway. Voice and sound was my intention. The soundtrack even is optional.

I didn't even add those ships at the Scumm Bar, as I already pointed out, they don't fit in this project. I like to see what other patches can do, though.

The main thing I intend to do with it now is fixing the remaining bugs, if any.

Then, I'll see if I can get an install wizard working, and I would call it final.

Things still possible: adding a final Spiffy, once we decided on any. After that, it is open for debate, if we still need the EGA scan version.

And animating the candles in the Scumm Bar and possibly in the church closeup.

I know you've been working on this for awhile, and I wasn't staying up with everything being done. I did check out the youtube demo you linked a few posts up and I am shocked by the liner notes as to all that needed to be done. I can't believe how many bugs were present. You've done a fantastic job and please keep up the great work!

Archived