Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

One small issue - as of RC2 I have been using your fan-modified version of ScummVM, and have re-added the game under "Secret of Monkey Island (Fan Patch)" as listed in the versions menu. However, even with this version of ScummVM, I can't get the game to start off in Speech Only mode; even though the settings are set to Speech Only, the game always reverts to Speech and Subtitles on loading and I have to change it manually. I'd prefer to be able to boot the Ultimate Talkie Edition (and the MI2 one, when it's out) in Speech Only mode rather than manually changing it every time I load the game up. Is there any way to fix this? = S

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, even with this version of ScummVM, I can't get the game to start off in Speech Only mode
I took a look at this. There's nothing wrong with the ScummVM version. It's in the boot script.

There is this variable initialized which tells ScummVM to turn subtitles on, thus overriding the scummvm.ini setting. It was probably a remainder from older SCUMM versions and no longer required. Just removed it, and the problem is fixed.

Couple more little bugs:

-Occasionally when changing to a new screen in the Caverns of Meat, the verbs will briefly flash Green/Brown for a split second before returning to their usual purple colour.

-Can't remember if either of these are in the original game, but they confused me a bit when I ran across them on this playthrough. When talking to Herman by the pond (after filling it with water, without having spoken to him there when it was dry), I could ask "So you're not the only one on the island?" even though he hadn't previously told Guybrush about the locals (though admittedly, I had read the memos), and he seemed to think he'd already told me about his banana picker even though he hadn't. He also appended the line "I told you they took my banana picker, didn't I?" to the end of the conversation after Guybrush tells him he thinks Elaine is in the caverns under the island (the end of the "I came here to rescue someone" dialogue option), which seemed out of place.

Just in case it makes any difference, the settings I've been playing on are: Narrator ON, Fully-voiced mode, No Spiffy Closeup.

How do I set up Adlib mode?
In DOS, just run with 'monkey a'.

With ScummVM and environment tracks still playing use boot param 10000.

With ScummVM and MIDI only, just remove the path to the CD tracks. It is supposed to play the MIDI tracks automatically then, but there is a bug with the RC2. For now, either use the boot param 10000, or press CTRL-F5 and "return to launcher", and start the game again.

-Occasionally when changing to a new screen in the Caverns of Meat, the verbs will briefly flash Green/Brown for a split second before returning to their usual purple colour.
I might be able to improve this, but the engine has some limitations causing similar effects throughout the game. Most of them can't be fixed.

-Can't remember if either of these are in the original game, but they confused me a bit when I ran across them on this playthrough.
You did play the latest version, right? Because I fixed several goofs in Herman's dialog scripts already. Most of which you describe here. Of course, there could be more of them.

And reading a certain memo is indeed supposed to enable the "So you're not the only one on the island?".

You did play the latest version, right?
Yep, the latest version (RC2) is definitely the version I'm playing.

And reading a certain memo is indeed supposed to enable the "So you're not the only one on the island?".
Ah, right - that's probably why that happened then, since I'd read all the memos I'd come across. Good to know that isn't a glitch. = ) The whole thing with thinking he's told Guybrush about the banana picker might still be worth double-checking in the scripts, though, since I hadn't been told about it by Herman or gone to the cannibal village yet at that point in the game.

Excellent, this works amazingly. = ) Good to see it booting up correctly in Speech-Only mode. I haven't got to the Caverns of Meat yet on this playthrough, but I'm also glad to see from your update list that the problem with the verbs has been dealt with.

To clarify on my earlier point about Herman, I've played through again on this new version (RC3) and it's still present. Providing he has mentioned the banana picker to you (or thinks he has), the following always happens on the "My name's Guybrush. I came here to rescue someone" option:

Guybrush:

Um...

Well, perhaps I could take you back, too...

...but I've got to rescue the governor, first.

I think she's on that ghost-ship underground.

Herman:

Oh, OK.

I told you about them borrowing my banana picker and never returning it, right?

The line in italics makes absolutely no sense in that context, since the ghosts aren't the ones who borrowed the banana picker. I can only assume this happens due to a bug somewhere in Herman's dialogue script - the line is correctly added to dialogue relating to the cannibals, so presumably there's a bug or a wrong reference somewhere that also adds it to the end of this unrelated dialogue.

Indeed, somethings is wrong here. Guybrush is only supposed to say "I think she's on that ghost-ship underground." when he already found it, and Herman shouldn't mention the key or the banana picker anymore, since that puzzle is already solved at this point. Otherwise, he should tell about the key you need. Then the reminder with the banana picker would make sense.

Did you found the ship already when you choose: "I came here to rescue someone"?

In addition to this, "I told you about them borrowing my banana picker and never returning it, right?" is an inventory check missing. It really shouldn't come up when Guybrush already got the key.

The main problem in the Herman dialogs is, that currently, the script makes no difference if Herman told something to Guybrush, or if he learned about it otherwise (from memos, the cannibals or the banana picker's inscription).

I think, I'll get it sorted.

Ah, great to hear you're looking into that, LogicDeluxe. = ) Apart from that, I haven't encountered any further bugs in the new version apart from the two minor issues listed below - I'm not even sure if the first needs fixing, though the second would be nice if possible.

In the opening credits. I usually play with the subtitle speed right up and on Speech Only mode, which is why I noticed this. There are three screens of credits that have to fit a large number of names on-screen at once, and thus use the regular speech font rather than the large credits font. Of these, the subtitle speed seems to make no difference to the first one ("Additional Art By..."), but makes the other two ("Testers..." screens 1&2) disappear really quickly. Is it possible to make the latter two unaffected by the subtitle speed like the first one, so that they can be readable no matter what your subtitle settings are?

Also in the opening credits: In Original CD Music mode, the first few notes of the music from the opening scene (with Guybrush and the lookout) play just before the opening credits end and the scene changes to the lookout point. I know this is because the lookout scene's music is a part of the track for the credits music - presumably the timing is a little off, not leaving enough silence between the end of the credits and the start of the lookout scene's music. Is it at all possible to split this track into two before the conversion to OGG/FLAC, to avoid this issue? This only appears to be an issue with the CD Music, not the SE Music; though presumably the track would need to be split in both to maintain consistency.

Sorry to have so many questions etc. I'm just trying to give as much information as possible, even on little issues, to make sure this can be the best and most bug-free version of SoMI available. = ) I really appreciate all the effort you put into tracking down and fixing things!

Also in the opening credits: In Original CD Music mode, the first few notes of the music from the opening scene (with Guybrush and the lookout) play just before the opening credits end and the scene changes to the lookout point.
Did you use the RC3 generated tracks? I know, the timing is terrible on the original CD. And the tracks apparently are poorly ripped for the SE either (which I already fix during conversion). I already corrected the leading silence and added an additional second before the lookout music to compensate this. It works fine for me. I'll try to make the pause a little longer, which should fix slightly off timings. ScummVM isn't very precise with this either.
Sorry to have so many questions etc. I'm just trying to give as much information as possible, even on little issues, to make sure this can be the best and most bug-free version of SoMI available.
Which is very appreciated, of course.

I'm almost certainly being thick here, so apologies in advance, BUT -

on running the "Fan Patch" version out of SCUMMVM, I automatically get the "you need to copy MP3s to get the nicer music" message that comes with normal SOMI on SCUMMVM. But there are two directories full of music under the Talkie Edition... what do I need to do to get a choice of them to run?

Thanks

I'm almost certainly being thick here, so apologies in advance, BUT -

on running the "Fan Patch" version out of SCUMMVM, I automatically get the "you need to copy MP3s to get the nicer music" message that comes with normal SOMI on SCUMMVM. But there are two directories full of music under the Talkie Edition... what do I need to do to get a choice of them to run?

Thanks

Select the game on the ScummVM menu and click "Edit Game". Go to the 'Paths' tab. You'll then want to set the Extra Path to either the CD music folder for the CD version music, or the SE music folder for the Special Edition version's music.

Hope that's useful. = )

Select the game on the ScummVM menu and click "Edit Game". Go to the 'Paths' tab. You'll then want to set the Extra Path to either the CD music folder for the CD version music, or the SE music folder for the Special Edition version's music.

Wonderful, thank you! It's nice to see that the internet isn't always bloody-minded carping, but friendly and helpful people.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the floppy version music instead of the CD music for the new talkie version.
The AdLib tracks could not be taken from the floppy version, due to the different music engine. The MT-32 tracks are very similar, though. The new General MIDI and AdLib tracks are based on those MT-32 tracks.

PCjr or PC speaker is not supported.

Finally got around to playtesting the latest version of this - got a little distracted going through the MI2 Ultimate Talkie Edition those first few times, haha. ; ) I've done a complete playthrough and am now double-checking the beginning of Part III, keeping a close eye on Herman's dialogue. While most of the glitches in his dialogue scripts seem to have been fixed, one notable one is still present. The glitch I mentioned for the previous version after telling Herman I'm here to rescue someone is still present - Guybrush still added I think she's on that ghost-ship underground. even though I hadn't yet seen the ship. Herman still said I told you about them borrowing my banana picker and never returning it, right? at the end of the dialogue; although this line only appears in RC4 when you've already talked about the banana picker, the line still makes no sense here as the conversation is about the ghost pirates, not the cannibals.

Will let you know of any more bugs that I find - am currently replaying the beginning of Part III a couple of times to double-check Herman's dialogue some more. Will let you know if I find anything more. = )

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Unfortunately, Espiox does not answer for over a year now. I tried pm him month ago. Thus my question: Could an admin update the opening post please? It gets more and more confusing for newbies.

- First of all, links to the latest patch, modified ScummVM and its source would be good. Just like done in the Monkey 2 Talkie thread.

- The "Known Problems" mentioned there should be all fixed by now.

- And the FAQ should be updated:

Q: What help is needed?

Completely outdated answer. Appropriate would be:

A: None anymore. The v1.0 should be released soon, when some legal concerns are cleared with the ScummVM team.

Q: Since it's for the DOS CD version, will it actually run in DOS?

Completely outdated answer here too. You may replace it with this:

A: It does, except that CD audio is not supported, which is a limitation of native SCUMM V5. However, the patched game adds support for MT-32 and General MIDI.

Q: Do you have any other features planned (like including SE music, "fixing" the VGA version, etc.)?

Yet another outdated answer. Try this:

A: The current patch fixes quite a lot of bugs, some which were introduced with the enhanced CD, and even some present in every version of the game available. The patch converts both soundtracks ready to be used with ScummVM.

The last one is a bit cluttered. Maybe you should put the music question to a separate one.

Archived