Home

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Espiox

First of all, LogicDeLuxe, amazing work. Really. I can't properly express my gratitude. Likewise Espiox, but you say he isn't responding, so I doubt he'll see this.

I've played through the game and it works great. Everything the SE should have been.

I have only minor quibbles, but I thought I'd mention them anyway, since you've been kind enough to fix similar things. Most of these are related to the subtitles, and match voice mode vs. original text mode:

Neither subtitle mode will give me the Charles Atlas line when looking at the skeleton at the Voodoo Lady's place.

There's a typo in the original game, since you seem to be fixing those on occasion. Talking to the Voodoo Lady, she says: "...my mind reading skills tells me it is your future you are interested in." It should be "tell me".

In Meathook's gutwrenching tale: "A monster that, just by coincidence, is identical to one that attacked ME when I was just a child..." Should be "to one what attacked me" in original text mode.

Fighting this guy: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/thedarnn/insult.jpg The line should be "is this the best" in match voice mode.

In the cutscene after freeing Otis, assuming you do this before Carla or Meathook or the ship, where Lechuck takes off his Shinetop disguise, the music stops playing during LeChuck's transformation.

Once you say a ship is out of your price range at Stan's, one of his responses: "Okay, but I got five other guys coming to look at this baby today." Should be "five other guys coming back to look at this baby today" in match voice mode.

While trying to procure credit at the store, the storekeeper's line "You're one of the Fettucini brothers?" should be "You're one of them Fettucini brothers?" in match voice mode.

In part 2, looking out the window in the first room once you descend into the hatch, Guybrush's line "I think I'm going to get seasick." should be "I think I'm gonna be seasick." in match voice mode.

Herman's line near the corpse "Am I some kind of a castaway?" should be "Am I some kind of castaway?" in match voice mode.

Same conversation (and others with Herman), Guybrush's "Excuse me, I've got pressing business to attend to." should be "I've got some pressing business" in match voice mode.

When Guybrush is talking to the cannibals and they ask him if he needs anything in return for the idol, you can reply with "No thanks, generosity is it's own reward." That should read "its own reward". Presumably it's like this in the original, but as long as you're making changes...

The grey cannibal's line "Oh, and I suppose stealing bananas is any better?" should be "And I suppose" etc. in match voice mode.

Not sure if it's the modified version of the game or just the way ScummVM handles the CD version, but if you save while talking to the navigator, finish talking to him and then load the game, the dialogue options don't apear until you mouse over them. Likewise the final conversation with Elaine, where the dialogue options are also placed over the image.

If Guybrush tries to use the voodoo root on something on the ghost ship (I tried a chicken), he will say "I don't think it's very useful in it's present form." Again, the second "it's" should be "its".

Guybrush, talking to a ghost in Melee town, can say "No, but I do have this deadly magic root beer." This should be "No, but I have this deadly magic root beer." in match voice mode.

Like I said, all this stuff is really minor, and did not hamper my enjoyment in any way.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither subtitle mode will give me the Charles Atlas line when looking at the skeleton at the Voodoo Lady's place.
This line was replaced in the original enhanced CD for legal reasons. I don't think, restoring the original line would be a good idea in this case. I picked a slightly better replacement line here at least.

There's a typo
Don't confuse grammar with typos. I don't think the characters are supposed to talk perfect English in most cases. It's slang, pirate lingo, etc.. Not a dictionary. Wrong apostrophes in "it's" vs. "its" etc. are a different matter, which I intend to fix.

Match voice mode is a different matter. In cases where the spoken words are clearly different to the subtitbles, I might add those alternative lines. I won't go through every minor detail here, though.

In the cutscene after freeing Otis, assuming you do this before Carla or Meathook or the ship, where Lechuck takes off his Shinetop disguise, the music stops playing during LeChuck's transformation.
This is the intended behavior for SE and CD music. The tracks are recorded this way on purpose. The midi tracks shouldn't stop here, though.

• 1 month later...
I asked the guy who does the un-official ScummVM port to create a version for Android and he has it posted and it works great!

Android ScummVM for Monkey Island Talkie

Enjoy!

I've built an 1.3.0 version of ScummVM with the patch required to use this:

ScummVM-1.3.0-fanpatched.apk

The 1.3.0 controls are much nicer imo.

You might have to uninstall the market version; back up first if you can.

Does this mean, 1.0 final is actually released?
Not yet.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to use ffmpeg as a xwmaencode replacement. That would please the ScummVM team, and applying the patch officially would likely to happen. There will be another RC when this works. The game itself is not affected by this.

Other than this, I would probably apply some grammar fixes as mentioned a few posts ago.

The patchfile on the Sourceforge tracker doesn't seem to work with the 1.3.1 source. It appears to patch script_v5.cpp just fine, but not detection_tables.h. I've made the changes to the detection file manually, and it seems to be OK.

I'm running the compile now. I'll test it when it's done and if all is well, I'll upload the build.

Edit: ...and for some reason it wants all the dependency DLLs. I don't understand why this is... It totally works, it just wants a handful of DLLs I'm not sure I can even distribute legally.

It is finally compiled here is the source for the patch in 1.3.1, the patches have already been applied but are included.

And here is the binary. Note it is the binary only and it is recommended that you use it alongside your current ScummVM build and do not replace it.

I must also state that FluidSynth has not been compiled in this build, but assuming you are only using it for the fan patch, this should not be a problem. If anyone would like a FluidSynth build, I will consider making one.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I've been encountering a few problems in both talkies that don't seem to be mentioned at all as far as I can see, and I was hoping you guys could help me out:

Voice hiccups - lines of dialogue don't get time to finish before another one starts; this doesn't happen with every line but when it starts, it happens more frequently after that point. Sometimes one line will just have a pause with no sound and I'll get the end of the line, for example "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" might change to ".....like a cow". Note that I'm playing without subtitles on.

Game specific bugs:

MI1 - After haggling the price of the ship down to the right price with Stan, the option to make an offer of 5000 pieces o'eight is not available.

MI2 - After getting the winning number for the spinning wheel on Phatt Island from the hand in the door puzzle, the option to pick that number is not available.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I'm playing both games on ScummVM, not DOSBox.

Voice hiccups - lines of dialogue don't get time to finish before another one starts; this doesn't happen with every line but when it starts, it happens more frequently after that point. Sometimes one line will just have a pause with no sound and I'll get the end of the line, for example "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" might change to ".....like a cow". Note that I'm playing without subtitles on.
Did you try increase or decrease the cycle setting in DOS-Box? If it is too high for your computer, sound issues will usually occur. If it is too low, the game will slow down.

Also check and try different command line options. Type

monkey ?

to get help on those.

Game specific bugs:

MI1 - After haggling the price of the ship down to the right price with Stan, the option to make an offer of 5000 pieces o'eight is not available.

This is not a bug, it's a feature. You are playing in "match voice acting"-mode. Switch to "keep original text"-mode.

The 5000 was omitted until your first offer, since that could possibly lead to unvoiced prices.

I believe that voice hiccups issue with at least the MI1 Talkie Project was "fixed" by setting the dialog/text speed of the in-game options to be very fast.
This "fix" works with subtitles turned on only. Keep in mind, that in "keep original text"-mode, some unvoiced lines may pass by very fast then, though.

With subtitles off, this fix was suggested for the original SE, and is only required there.

Did you try increase or decrease the cycle setting in DOS-Box? If it is too high for your computer, sound issues will usually occur. If it is too low, the game will slow down.

Also check and try different command line options. Type

monkey ?

to get help on those.This is not a bug, it's a feature. You are playing in "match voice acting"-mode. Switch to "keep original text"-mode.

The 5000 was omitted until your first offer, since that could possibly lead to unvoiced prices.

This "fix" works with subtitles turned on only. Keep in mind, that in "keep original text"-mode, some unvoiced lines may pass by very fast then, though.

With subtitles off, this fix was suggested for the original SE, and is only required there.

As far as the voice hiccups are concerned, I'm not running the game on DOSBox, I'm using ScummVM, and I'm not all that fluent in DOSBox to test what you suggested. Thanks for the heads up about the text mode though, I knew I'd missed something :p I'll have a playthrough of both games tomorrow and see how it goes.

On another note, I've noticed that in pretty much every SCUMM game I play, it does pause for a bit like in these 2 talkies, and especially in Curse, I notice this. Half way through a line, the game pauses for just a breif second and then the line continues. The reason I bring this up is because I'm wondering if that is connected to the problems I'm facing here, but that it's worse with the speech for some reason.

Overall, I love that I now have the ability to play the original 2 games with voiceover, and I'm very grateful for that. Thankyou for your help, and for responding so quickly to my questions :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks A LOT for this wonderful patch/builder.

I've noticed the monster.sof file is more than twice the size than monster.sou (probably because the VOC format in monster.sou is lower quality than the original WAV). But given that the flac compression is lossless... is there a way to generate a monster.sog (or .so3) from the monster.sof? I would like to keep this as a "master" file and get the other compressed formats (when needed) from there, but it seems the current scummvm tools can only work from monster.sou files.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello all,

today I converted MI1 SE into Ultimate Edition and mentioned that the CD tracks no 10 and 20 were not converted to the wanted format (flac, ogg or MP3).

Did everyone mentioned this too?

I checked the batch file "cdaudio.bat" in tools folder and saw that exactly this lines are "missing".

Here is a cut of the code.

I REMed the lines.

I am not sure with which values the files should be trimmed (see end of line). Does anyone have an idea?

echo track9.%1
sox track10.wav -V0 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\cd_music_%1\track9.%1 trim 0.038 121.996
REM echo track10.%1
REM sox track11.wav -V0 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\cd_music_%1\track10.%1 trim 0.038 121.996
echo track11.%1
sox track12.wav -V0 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\cd_music_%1\track11.%1 trim 0.032 136.786
echo track19.%1
sox track20.wav -V0 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\cd_music_%1\track19.%1 trim 0.035 16.295
REM echo track20.%1
REM sox track21.wav -V0 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\cd_music_%1\track20.%1 trim 0.035 16.295
echo track21.%1
sox track22.wav -V0 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\cd_music_%1\track21.%1 trim 0.032 132.555

• 2 weeks later...
today I converted MI1 SE into Ultimate Edition and mentioned that the CD tracks no 10 and 20 were not converted to the wanted format (flac, ogg or MP3).
The game simply doesn't use those tracks, thus converting them gains you nothing. They weren't used on the original CD either.

• 2 weeks later...

Not checked the thread, but is there any command to lower the voice volume that is different from the music volume? I was pretty startled when the voice over started in the intro.

IIRC in dos, sound effects and music are different channels (and most times different devices) in most games, (even more as i'm using roland emulation music which i doubt it's what is playing the voices), so it should be possible.

edit: i guess i could play it in scummvm and leave this DOS only limitation alone, which is what you must have thought ;)

Archived