Home

The No Cussing Club! NCC

Nedak

Yay...dag nab it. :D

But really, my feelings on this is while sometimes cussing can add flavor to language it's often overused and also used by people trying to be "cool". I fail to see how it cool to use language considered offensive in polite company.

Also, I was a bit irritated that the kid is the subject of death threats. But I guess that's because people who are ruled by even lesser evils cannot stand the good in reality, probably because it makes them feel bad.

Yay...dag nab it. :D

But really, my feelings on this is while sometimes cussing can add flavor to language it's often overused and also used by people trying to be "cool". I fail to see how it cool to use language considered offensive in polite company.

Yeah, it's true. If you're not careful, cussing will slip out at an inappropriate time and people will kind of look down on you a bit, even if they think you're funny.

I'm half and half on this issue and a mix of french vanilla, gold hazelnut, and irish cream.

On the one hand, it's great painkiller. On the other it's illiterate and people look down on you for it. On the one hand it grants you certain desirabilities in short order. On the other it tarnishes your character in the long run if you overuse it.

Moderation knows best in this case!

======

Oh you people with your ****ed English language! :fist: I hate you all. Get outta my homeland! (Haha-you don't know which 4 letter curse word I really used because of the censor! :xp:) Go back where you came from, you and the horses and boats you rode in on!

:D

i use mild words such as hell, heck, and dammnit (which i probably am not supposed too :ninja2: ). i used to be a guttermouth when i was 6 or 7. i used to swear like crazy, and was always confused when they woke me up in the morning and the first thing theyd ask me was if i swore. i always lied and said no. it turned out that i swore in my sleep. :lol:

but I guess I only noticed that because I'm half black.

so... you're grey?

:xp:

i joke, i joke!

Even as I understand that there are certain places where a person must put a figurative "filter" on what they say, this seems to go a bit too far. Mainly because the aim seems to be for people to "cut-down" on using those "colorful Metaphors", but then again looks like those involved want people to stop using them entirely. I can't say I use them all the time, but there are times were I think, just like all other words, sometimes, they need to be used.

I just love how people try to elevate those words to some sinful edict that using one sends you straight to some burning wasteland, even if you used it only because you weren't in the best of moods. It just seems to childish that, as an adult, you create these cartoon-like "replacement" words that sound completely uneducated. Which isn't saying that it is cool to use the words every other word in a sentence, but if that is what fits the situation, then use it.

Yeah, it's true. If you're not careful, cussing will slip out at an inappropriate time and people will kind of look down on you a bit, even if they think you're funny.

^^Absolutely.

I only cuss when I get really mad. Or sometimes here. I cussed once at an 'inopportune' time and since then I've been really conscious about it.

_EW_

It's a great idea...and if kids will take to it it's an even better idea. I personally was really bad about cussing myself until I had children. My two year old is a little parrot and will repeat almost anything she hears and so I've toned it waaay down compared to when I was in the military or in high school.

Even in high school I knew better than to say anything in front of my parents or teachers as my father would have killed me and in school I would have likely gone to see the principal, who would have called my parents, and my father would have killed me :)

I've heard and seen how kids treat teachers these days and find it unacceptable yet the teachers and principals lack the firepower to do anything about it most of the time. So, if something like this will help then more power to the guy.

Obviously cussing has a social stigma in some circumstances, particularly among kids who join a no cussing club. Other than that, however, it's just a part of language like any other. I don't see anything inherently wrong in it, although it may be a bad idea in context (don't try it at corporate meetings or in church, folks :p).

Often cusswords are expressive in ways that other language is not. Even if, as Pavlos says, stubbing a toe is a way to demonstrate your prodigious vocabulary, cussing may be more effective at indicating immediacy or intensity; e.g., "OW!" (replace with whatever cussword seems best) vs. "I am in great pain!", and so can be a more natural reaction in such a circumstance.

Well...alright I guess...I use bad language in real life sometimes but I'm not a fan of it...I still wouldn't go and make a rap video out of it...especially if I was still in school at that age...I'd be cussing when I got beat up everyday for making a video about not cussing.

Was it just me or did that rap pretty much imply that joining gangs makes you cool and that groups of children can kick people out of parks for pretty much any reason at all because they're supported by the fire department and a serious looking cop?

Yeah...but at least they're not cussing! :thmbup1:

Sure, if it makes kids stop and think about what they're saying so that they learn more effective methods of communication. Swearing isn't professional or considered appropriate language in a lot of settings. I can't swear like a sailor at work, and don't want to around my kids so that I can be a good example. I had to unlearn my very bad foul-mouth language when I graduated doctor school to make sure I didn't say something unconsciously in front of patients, and a word still slips out now and then.

This kid is doing a lot of kids his age a favor by helping them break the foul language habit now, so they dont' have to learn to do it later when it'll be harder.

It's just words, I personally prefer words with more color or from an undetermined time gone by. But that's mostly because I'm crafty.

What, you say things like shog and God's bodykin, too? :xp:

what writer, broadcaster, comedian, actor, writer-broadcaster, comedian and chef, Stephen Fry, has to say on the matter; perhaps unsurprisingly, it contains swearing.

what writer, broadcaster, comedian, actor, writer-broadcaster, comedian and chef, Stephen Fry, has to say on the matter; perhaps unsurprisingly, it contains swearing.

It's always a delight to hear what Stephen Fry has to say on any subject.

I'd agree that it not being 'necessary' shouldn't be stop one from doing it. I don't see that swearing is such a huge problem - when I was at school, kids only seemed to do it frequently because it was cool, but it soon lost its allure when they realised it wasn't exactly exciting to add an expletive to every sentence.

Of course, I do think that it's often overused in the media and TV (take my avatar, for example - Deadwood caused a stir due to the level of profanity.)

I saw this a while back on DJ and the Fro. Mega Mormon? (I'm just kidding please don't ban me) The kid's obviously got spherical objects for having that much integrity, but I completely disagree with the notion that cussing is immature/unintelligent. It only is when people cuss just for the sake of cussing, which is annoying... I did that in the 3rd grade, and I missed out on recess for like a week, but I see this a bit like Darth Vader's control of his anger. He lost all of his limbs and lungs due to his inability to control his rage, which caused overconfidence. Then, later on, he learned to control his rage and use it in short bursts when appropriate. Vader's rage is like cussing! [/greatestanalogytoeverbesaidever]

Archived