Home

Sam Raimi is directing a Warcraft movie?!

MrWally

http://www.wow.com/2009/07/21/sam-raimi-to-direct-wow-movie/

Okay, so Spiderman 3 aside, I'd say Raimi is a pretty decent pick. Warcraft is certainly filled with dark, quirky humor, which we all know Raimi is excellent with (seen most recently in Drag Me to Hell and, less recently, Evil Dead), and looking at the first Spiderman film he definitely works well with source material.

While it would have been neat to see a Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro behind a film like this, it's definitely a better outcome than seeing Uwe Boll's name up there.

Anyone know any more details on this? Like whether it is going to follow the storyline of Arthas? Or perhaps Thrall? There was a cartoon done about Thrall a few years back, but I never saw it and it didn't get much acclaim.

Also: The article says "WoW" movie. I believe it's not WoW specific, but rather a "Warcraft" film.

I should probably add that I don't play WoW, but I've played Warcraft every since Orcs and Humans back in the mid 90s.

What the hell is Warcraft?

I hope you're being sarcastic.

How exactly do you make a movie out of an MMO? Let alone a WoW MMO....it sounds impossible to do, and be successful. It'd be like creating a Sims movie...

I'm thinking this will be a flop:D

:ugh:

World of Warcraft isn't the only game set in the Warcraft universe.

--

Personally, I don't have *high* hopes, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

:ugh:

World of Warcraft isn't the only game set in the Warcraft universe.

True, there are several other games in that universe. Still, whether it be WoW or any other of their games, the franchise would probably only be truly successful in gaming, not as a motion picture. Typically, most movies based on video games fail pretty terribly, it seems.

But then "He who shall not be named" would get confusing with you-know-who.

As for the movie, I'm pretty surprised that people here don't realize there were 5 highly successful and acclaimed Warcraft titles released before World of Warcraft. There's actually quite a bit of backstory to the series, and there are several highly developed characters (some with whole a who series of books devoted to them), so I could see a movie doing pretty well.

What would be awesome, though, would be if Blizzard's studios were to create a feature-length Warcraft film made entirely from CGI. That's something I could definitely support. The thought of a live-action Warcraft film scares me.

Dabu?

Zug Zug!

LEEEEEEEEEEERROOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEENNNNKKKIIIIIIINNNNSSS!

At least I've got chicken.

There are Warcraft books (like Wally said) and manga, so I don't see why a film is such a strange idea. Done right, it could actually be quite good.

I was hoping they'd give Uwe Boll a chance to redeem himself. =/

Uwe Boll doesn't want to redeem himself. Have you ever heard him talk about his movies and the movies of other directors? He's a douchebag who is convinced that he's the **** and that everyone else are just amateurs who don't recognize his awesome work.

Every other video game company, I can see honestly not caring as long as they make a bit of money.

Blizzard, however, while they do care about money (see WoW), they also deeply care about all of their franchises, and don't see them allowing this to be totally f***ed up.

All I want to know is what side it follows, cause honestly, the horde races have absolutely amazing lore compared to the alliance races.

Archived