Home

iphone Monkey Island!

MJ

It's out!

Click here

Because I don't have a PC, I am loving this! Can't wait 'til I get home to download it.

Dude you dont have a PC! :eek::eek::eek:You are missing out on alot of these great games!:( Espesialy Monkey Island. You need to atleast buy a 50 dolar laptop with xp. I run some of my adventure games on there. I have a desktop computer but I like sitting on the couch to play ones like full throttle and DOTT.:thmbup1: Well I guess some people have no use for one...Wait you use your Iphone to surf the web right?:raise:

I don't have a PC - I have an imac at home, a macbook, and an imac at work.

My fiance has a dell laptop, I've commandeered it to play Tales of Monkey Island. :)

Used to be interested in gaming... not really any more though. There's too many other things taking up my time these days.

I don't have a PC - I have an imac at home, a macbook, and an imac at work.

My fiance has a dell laptop, I've commandeered it to play Tales of Monkey Island. :)

Used to be interested in gaming... not really any more though. There's too many other things taking up my time these days.

Oh. I like macs but to much for me. I thought you couldnt play any of the old lucasarts games on them? :confused:

It's pretty cool that Monkey Island is out on iPhone. However, at the risk of sounding like a moaning, whinging, whining twot, it's slightly frustrating that the control scheme is better than the PC version. If they can make a few changes for Apple, why can't they for Microsoft?

Also, quick question: Do iPhone games also work on Macs?

There might be some way to play them on a mac, some kind of emulator, but generally iphone games are for iphones only.

Having a go at it now, it works really well. In the PC game is there a narrator? There's none in the iphone game, but the dialogue is spoken.

Can't wait to get this either! Mac man here as well. Although I have *shudder* Windows installed to play some of the essential games like TOMI. Interested to see how the controls work!

Just for Purple Tentacle's knowledge, and others who may not know; ScummVM works on a multitude of different platforms besides PC. Mac being one of them. The DS port is also pretty amazing.

A lot of the original games were released for Mac anyway, but, just like their PC counterparts, are no longer compatible with new computers. So ScummVM is required. You can play any version of the games (amiga/pc/mac/whatever) on ScummVM. Eg. You can play the PC version of Secret of Monkey Island on ScummVM Mac.

I just downloaded it and I must say that the controls make it virtually unplayable. Instead of just pointing to where you want the cursor to go you have to drag it from one place to the other.. Which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have an outrageously slow lag,

Christ knows what they were thinking when they came up with this.

Downloaded it last night the moment it went live (alerted to its existence by LucasArts via Twitter) even though I already have the XBLA version.

Played with it for about 10 minutes. It's impressive. Uses the same music and voice as the more robust platforms. You toggle classic mode by doing a two-finger swipe across the screen. It looks and sounds beautiful.

The only negative I can see thus far is the controls are pretty unfriendly. Rather than just double-clicking on a door to open it and/or walk in, you have to drag your cursor to the spot or item you want to interact with, then click or select your chosen action from a menu located on the bottom left corner, then click again on whatever it is you want to interact with. Very tedious. Inventory is on the bottom right corner. Not terrible, but takes some getting used to.

I'm interested in what people think of the pricing. For folks familiar with SMI and what this package includes, $8 is reasonable, but the vast majority of folks encountering it for the first time may be loathe to pay so much for an iPhone app.

Is it still basically the same release but with a smaller resolution? Well besides the laggy drag and drop cursor...

Yeah it's pretty much the same apart from a few UI tweaks.. like not being able to have both the Inventory and Verbs window open at the same time,

I'm sure this will make the Grog puzzle crazy hard to execute.

But anyway.. It's still pretty cool to have MI on my iPhone.

Not sure if I will get this or not. I have the iPod touch so it'd be great to have, but I think $7.99 is pretty pricey for an iPhone app and I already have it on Steam. Either way, great to see them release this.

A little off-topic but aren't you sick of the proprietary little devices that box us in?

I know I am.

Hey I bought the film on DVD, now I can rebuy the same friggin thing on Blueray. And when I want to look at it on my i**** I get to rebuy it again. Great thing I am a shopping addict! Great business model!

Why can't their be a product/copyright model where you buy for USAGE ONCE and you get the right to get it working on all the stupid little PDAs, phones, players, PCs etc..?

The big companies with their closed little worlds, especially APPLE with their i**** and Amazon with the Kindle are basically blocking the way into streamlined way of sharing data and information. It's kind of sad actually...

And it's only getting worse.

"Hey do you own that cool song by XY?"

"Yeah but only on my Zune"

Sorry for the rant. I'm just a little on the edge regarding that topic.

Hey I bought the film on DVD, now I can rebuy the same friggin thing on Blueray. And when I want to look at it on my i**** I get to rebuy it again. Great thing I am a shopping addict! Great business model!

Yes it bugs me very much, but being a good consumer whore I guess I just follow along.

• 5 months later...

Archived