Home

Hi there, I'm Jedispy...

jedispy

I also enjoy disliking games I have not played too, because the company did not follow what I wanted. But that is a common thing, the forums on mmorpg are full of people bashing AION, even if they had not tried the game at all.

Anyways, it's a Bioware game. That itself makes it a step above 99% of the trash out their today. I would try it just for that, even if it wasn't a Star Wars game.

Also, I would much prefer NO game, to another buggy, what content?, lol the end? game like KotOR 2.

While a single player game is fun, I just love the group aspect of MMO's. I think this could be a giant step in the right direction. I trust bioware, hafta see how antsy EA gets though.

SW Galaxies failed but we still got games after

After SWG failed, there was a big absence of Original Trilogy games and novels. If I recall, the recent Matt Stover novel "Luke Skywalker & The Shadows of Mindor" was the only thing in the past few years to be set in that era. So there you go. SWG nearly killed the most popular era on its own. Imagine how another failed MMO would kill a relatively obscure period thousands of years before the movies.

Contradicting sources are not evidence of story screw up?And add a character that is godlike in a time period where there was already a being that was the chosen one(i.e. vader)

I was gave the Death Star contradictions example as proof that the EU has had contradictions going back 20 years. Contradictions are nothing new or damning. TFU is far from the first to add any contradictions, even when it didn't really contradict, and only added to the machinations that led to the formation of the Rebel Alliance.

Just because we didn't get any news on Instances does not mean that they are not in the game.There has been no video of actual gameplay.

We have got news on instances. The "Flash Points" are instances with story focus. And to flip your statement back at you, just because there's been little news on instances doesn't mean there will nothing but story-breaking instances in the game.

Most of us don't post in this section, though, given it's pro-Biowhorian and pro-TOR nature.

Clever of you to insult BioWare by calling them whores, just because you don't like them making an MMO. They made KotOR also, but I guess you just can't accept them making one of the best RPGs period(not to mention one of the SW games ever).

Again, there are two options: It has no plot like WoW, or it has another ********ty "save the universe" plot like every other BioWhore game. My money is on them trying something like Mediocrity Effect.

Why does it have to be those 2 options? It'll obviously have a plot(unlike WoW), since they're dedicating most of their work to writing stories. Unlike WoW and others, they're molding the gameplay around the stories, not making stories to fit the gameplay(ie random stories to fill out a kill quest). As for the "another ********ty save the universe plot like every other BioWhore game" angle, BioWare knows what MMOs are. They know everyone can't be the savior when there's several classes, each with their own distinct storyline. The story will likely be sticking to your character class and his own little antagonists. Also, how clever of you to use the "BioWhore" insult again.

Great jab against Mass Effect too. "Mediocrity Effect", did you make that up on your own? Lemme guess: you barely played Mass Effect, if at all. It is a very good game, with no mediocrity that I've seen. The mix of shooter and RPG combat has been very fun. Not to mention the very original and well-researched science fiction setting and story. As I read the Codex in ME, I'm constantly impressed by how the science behind Faster Than Light travel and Stealth systems and stuff closely matches real life sciences.

People do not want from an MMO what they want from an SPRPG and vice versa, even fans of one market in the other. This has been proven time and again.

People definitely want more typical RPG conventions in their MMORPGs. That's why MMOs have been trying to give more story emphasis as of late to entice players. Players want more engaging storyline without a forced grouping aspect. I don't know where you got the idea that people didn't want it.

Where has this lack of want for SRPG been proven? Most MMOs haven't even tried story focus. FFXI is one of the few out there with a strong storyline component that helps dictate the game, and it's been going strong with 500k players for many years. It is very much a success, despite its forced grouping. I know WoW has 10 million players, but for all the non-WoW MMOs, 500,000 subscribers is a damn proud achievement, especially when they stay beyond the first 2 or 3 months after launch.

Crap. This is the same non-argument which was hawked around by in 2005/6 by which if we didn't all rush out and buy copies of Biowhore's latest there would be no K3.

And which 2005/6 game is that? KotOR was 2003, and KotOR2 wasn't made by BioWare. And again you use that "BioWhore" insult. It's getting childish and old, you can stop anytime now.

Clever of you to insult BioWare by calling them whores, just because you don't like them making an MMO.

I dislike them for more than the MMO, kthxbai.

They made KotOR also, but I guess you just can't accept them making one of the best RPGs period(not to mention one of the SW games ever).

No, KotOR is far from one of the best RPGs ever. Much as I like the game, there's no point in inflating it beyond its position.

Why does it have to be those 2 options? It'll obviously have a plot(unlike WoW), since they're dedicating most of their work to writing stories. Unlike WoW and others, they're molding the gameplay around the stories, not making stories to fit the gameplay(ie random stories to fill out a kill quest).

Because the market wants what WoW has, and LA, EA a nd Biowhore want to make money.

As for the "another ********ty save the universe plot like every other BioWhore game" angle, BioWare knows what MMOs are. They know everyone can't be the savior when there's several classes, each with their own distinct storyline. The story will likely be sticking to your character class and his own little antagonists.

That would fly in the face of Bioware's history.

Also, how clever of you to use the "BioWhore" insult again.

Sarcasm fail. You aren't the wit you think you are.

Great jab against Mass Effect too. "Mediocrity Effect", did you make that up on your own? Lemme guess: you barely played Mass Effect, if at all.

You guessed wrong. I played through the bland, derivative, dull, poorly optimised, ********tily written banality from start to finish. I even did some of the obnoxiously ********e sidequests.

It is a very good game, with no mediocrity that I've seen.

If you think that, you haven't played many genuinely good games.

The mix of shooter and RPG combat has been very fun.

No. It's a poor example of an FPS/RPG, and combat is not a great strength of the game. Jade Empire's combat is better implemented, all things considered.

Not to mention the very original and well-researched science fiction setting and story. As I read the Codex in ME, I'm constantly impressed by how the science behind Faster Than Light travel and Stealth systems and stuff closely matches real life sciences.

That's not a setting, that's a mini-wikipedia. There's a difference.

People definitely want more typical RPG conventions in their MMORPGs. That's why MMOs have been trying to give more story emphasis as of late to entice players. Players want more engaging storyline without a forced grouping aspect. I don't know where you got the idea that people didn't want it.

Everything about the market points to story-light, grind-heavy and easy and frequent levelling being what sells.

Where has this lack of want for SRPG been proven? Most MMOs haven't even tried story focus. FFXI is one of the few out there with a strong storyline component that helps dictate the game, and it's been going strong with 500k players for many years. It is very much a success, despite its forced grouping. I know WoW has 10 million players, but for all the non-WoW MMOs, 500,000 subscribers is a damn proud achievement, especially when they stay beyond the first 2 or 3 months after launch.[/QUOE]

Again, they have tried to inject more story into it - you know what they got? Complaints about all these icky bits of text in between their grind-sessions.

And which 2005/6 game is that? KotOR was 2003, and KotOR2 wasn't made by BioWare.

That'd probably be Jade Empire, but you've stumbled on the very point I was making: the argument is nonsense. If TOR's successful, there will be no more games in this time period: Why produce something to compete with your golden goose?

This whole discussion is nothing more then opinions upon opinions. there is no need to start insulting people or companies about a thing that is still in production and no one actually played it yet to fully judge it.

you either hate the idea or love it...

this discussion imo is going nowhere fast and is likely to be closed anytime soon.

and to most people in this discussion... either get some help cause... DAMN! or switch to decaff or something...

Corzip

Just because KOTOR 2 was buggy doesn't mean that there doesn't deserve to be a part 3. Just don't let Obsidian make the game (are they even a company anymore?). Nintendo doesn't make Metroid games anymore. That gets all hired out (I believe it is Team Ninja who is making the next 3D Metroid game). Same with Lucasarts. What was the last game that Lucasarts actually made? It's always hired out. And believe you me, there have been plenty of crappy Lucasarts games. However that shouldn't stop more Star Wars games from being made.

Let there be no mistake in what I'm saying. Old Republic is going to be a resounding success and will make an incredible amount of money. Blizzard may possibly even feel a bit of a crunch when it comes to the number of new subscriptions to WoW. However, I am suspicious that there may very well be a WOSC in production. How do I know this? It's just all part of my collection of conspiracy theories about the universe. A World of Starcraft game would easily slap SW:OT into the ground like the dirty little monkey it is.

Just because KOTOR 2 was buggy doesn't mean that there doesn't deserve to be a part 3. Just don't let Obsidian make the game (are they even a company anymore?).
Yes, they've been actively releasing games for over the past few years now. Also, might I comment on your lack of reasoning in your opinion. :rolleyes:
Nintendo doesn't make Metroid games anymore. That gets all hired out (I believe it is Team Ninja who is making the next 3D Metroid game).
Retro Studios was contracted as a second-party developer for the Prime sub-series, but since the majority of their stock is owned by Nintendo, they're technically a first-party developer.

As for Metroid: Other M; it is being developed a cooperative of Team Ninja and Nintedo proper, so it is a first-party title.

Same with Lucasarts. What was the last game that Lucasarts actually made?
SoMI:SE, if you can consider that a new title. The Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance/Lightsaber Duels, if you can even consider those good games. :p
It's always hired out. And believe you me, there have been plenty of crappy Lucasarts games. However that shouldn't stop more Star Wars games from being made.
Right, that's my concern as well.

Let there be no mistake in what I'm saying. Old Republic is going to be a resounding success and will make an incredible amount of money.
Uh, not exactly. It might make several million, yes, but so did Galaxies, and that's considered a failure due to market share. Yet, as of now, it's really foolhardy to label TOR, an unreleased game with risky content, a WoW challenger. WoW owns ~3/5 of the MMO market; if LucasArts even wants to get close to that percentage, they're going to have to market the hell out of TOR to WoW players, which is quite the opposite of what they're doing.

However, I am suspicious that there may very well be a WOSC in production. How do I know this? It's just all part of my collection of conspiracy theories about the universe. A World of Starcraft game would easily slap SW:OT into the ground like the dirty little monkey it is.

That's pretty unlikely, Blizzard's already working on a second MMO and the only things they have confirmed about it are 1) It's in a sci-fi setting and 2) It's a new intellectual property.

Ugh... read the whole thread...

So far it seems more like a Single Player RPG with online and Co-Op play. I really hate how people tend to generalize the MMO players as being the types that are more concerned with grinding levels than enjoying the story with friends. Some of us spend a great deal of time getting involved in the story. The problem is that in many cases the story is so bloody bland that you don't WANT to bother with it. Or they have the wall of text to read which gets old REALLY old. With this being fully voiced, you CAN get into it. In SWG, many of us made our own story. I would venture to say that more pure roleplayers play MMO's than SPRPG's. There's just so much more you can do in a persistent world.

naming... well some people are not very creative when it comes to names. But you know every MMO I've played allows you to turn off player names.

Monthly fee... Well if Bioware is accurate about the amount of content they will provide, How much would you pay for 8 games, with hundreds of hours of content? At average new game prices, $60 x 8 = $480. That would be the game plus two years of $15 monthly fees.

But I don't buy games new. I only buy the games in the bargain bin

Well to be blunt. You get whatever those of us who DO spend money on new games want.

Not liking Bioware... Some people juggle geese....

TOR ruining the sequel: No, Obsidian did that by making Revan a god. Then sending him to "The Unknown Regions" to fight the True Sith.

The gameplay footage they have shown looks pretty good. But nobody can really say how good of a game it is as of yet. I know I haven't played it and unless you're a Bioware dev, neither have you. We can speculate on how good of a game it might be, but nobody has enough info to really say one way or another.

Monthly fee... Well if Bioware is accurate about the amount of content they will provide, How much would you pay for 8 games, with hundreds of hours of content? At average new game prices, $60 x 8 = $480. That would be the game plus two years of $15 monthly fees.
I can the reasoning behind this, but as of now, we've seen five, six planets worth of content? Not to say that this is the final amount of content, but given that we've been barely shown anything in terms of overall gameplay, I would definitely not cement TOR as some massive gala of gameplay.

Oh, and quantity =/= quality.

Not liking Bioware... Some people juggle geese....
Some people also pay good money for manure, too. Doesn't matter how much you masquerade it; s*** will be s***.

I can the reasoning behind this, but as of now, we've seen five, six planets worth of content? Not to say that this is the final amount of content, but given that we've been barely shown anything in terms of overall gameplay, I would definitely not cement TOR as some massive gala of gameplay.

Yeah, I was editing as you posted. I can't say for sure one way or another. Before I bag or rave on the game itself, I'd rather actually play it. As the game isn't out nobody can say it definitely is or isn't a game worth playing or paying for. So all we have to go on is what Bioware claims. Sure it could be another TFU. Tonnes of hype, and a crap game.

Oh, and quantity =/= quality.Some people also pay good money for manure, too. Doesn't matter how much you masquerade it; s*** will be s***.

Not saying it is. The game could be another TFU. A thousand hours of TFU content would not be worth it.

I honestly don't know why this is an issue, do you really think BioWare would tout this to be more content than every other game they've made combined as well as having a better story component than any MMO ever made (shush, WoW has a good story, it's just not implemented in the game as a major component) if they didn't know they could live up to that? Hating on BioWare is so last year (and didn't make sense then either), they haven't even released anything new to hate on.

Sure, I'd love to see Obsidian make a sequel to TSL alongside TOR, but I don't see it happening.

Archived