Home

EMI - hacks

plamdi

A few years ago I hacked EMI to get it running off the HDD correctly. It was a work-around solution - basically I removed its 'drive-type' calls and then used a VBS loader to subst the directory with the CD. Works essentially the same as loading an iso in Virtual CD just without the hassle. I will be making this available in the near-future.

EMI is pretty ugly compared to Grim Fandango, I just don't understand

doesn't as much want to load up for me at all without first setting compatibility to Windows 98 mode!

But I'm wondering - has anyone got the game running at anything higher than 1280 x 960, because any higher resolution that I try results in the game crashing on start-up! And I've tried both manually changing the resolution in Olly (realtime disassembler) and using the quick&easy launcher (and then right-clicking the file and setting it to Win98 compatibility).

If you ask me, the models don't fit in at their original resolution!

Adding antialiasing does help, but not enough. Unfortunately, whenever I use antialiasing at higher resolutions I'm confronted with image tearing, which is a damn shame because otherwise it looks MUCH better. So these are the options we have:

Original Game:

emi1.png

Antialiasing forced in Nvidia:

emi2.png

1280 x 960 Resolution:

emi3.png

The higher res patch in EMI Launcher really is just a wonky hack. Nevertheless despite the glitches I seem to remember it still being playable.

I've got too many projects going on at the moment to look into this properly. I've quickly modified and uploaded a version of the launcher for anyone to play with. It lets you enter any x or y resolution and patches the game to use them. There's no error checking or anything like that so be careful.

Its here.

Thanks. Still doesn't seem to work for me (I can use that and other auto-patches for 1280x960, but anything higher and the game always gives me an error saying unable to initialize hardware and won't load). It's okay, 1280 x 960 is fine.

Here's the no-cd patch for now. At a later time I'll update it properly with full instructions on how to copy the CDs... but basically 1. install the game, 2. install the 1.1 update, 3. create the directories as describe in the readme file.

Again, the only modifications made to the Monkey4.exe file are removals from the calls to "get drive type", that's all. The game still needs to think that it's loading from discs, but you don't need load a full virtual cd using iso images or anything like that.

http://scummgmes.net/files/m4nocd.7z

Oh, and don't forget to get the game running in XP you need to rightclick the main game executable and select compatibility mode - Windows 98 (the file is renamed Monkey4R.exe in the above package, with Monkey4.exe as a dummy and Monkey4.vbs as the loader-file).

Archived