Home

AT&T blocks 4chan

BongoBob

This is horrible. This is exactly what Net Neutrality is trying to fight against. I sincerely hope that 4Chan completely rapes AT&T over this. We all know they have the power to.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of 4Chan, but this is just disgusting.

*is under AT&T service*

Yep, I'm blocked from those boards. Even though I don't particularly like 4Chan, I still feel like they've crossed a certain line they probably shouldn't have crossed. What interests me though, is what they chose to cross that line with. 4Chan might not be the most innocent of websites, but it is against the rules to post illegal content there. Really, 4Chan is one of the least blatantly illegal websites they could have started with. And to me that sets more of a precedent than anything else would have.

Good riddance.

Still, I don't like it one bit that ISPs are trying to decide what sites you should be able to access. As common carriers they bear no responsibility for the content of any sites, and therefore they don't have any business censoring the internet.

It seems that it's been unblocked. Not that I really care for 4chan, but this would've started a domino effect, with any "undesirable" sites being blocked, including TPB. That would've really pissed me off.

I hope that someone starts a class-action lawsuit, which might eventually bring up many more legal issues that might eventually bring about more net neutrality. AFAIK, AT&T's actions could be considered highly illegal, if not unconstitutional, in the US.

I hope that someone starts a class-action lawsuit, which might eventually bring up many more legal issues that might eventually bring about more net neutrality. AFAIK, AT&T's actions could be considered highly illegal, if not unconstitutional, in the US.

Agreed. Their excuse is just that--an excuse. It doesn't make any sense, and I definitely agree that some legal action needs to be done against AT&T.

Exactly what haschan done to warrent a block in the first place?

Don't really know this site, but seems to be a huge forum?

EDIT:

*gets to the adult content*

Ehm, oh, I see. :D

Anyone who has spent an extended stay at the /b/ boards know how bad it can be. It's the "wretched hive of scum and villainy" on the internet. But on occasion it can be really funny. And nation-wide memes like lolcats and rickrolls originate from there.

Source

Beginning Friday, an AT&T customer was impacted by a denial-of-service attack stemming from IP addresses connected to img.4chan.org. To prevent this attack from disrupting service for the impacted AT&T customer, and to prevent the attack from spreading to impact our other customers, AT&T temporarily blocked access to the IP addresses in question for our customers. This action was in no way related to the content at img.4chan.org; our focus was on protecting our customers from malicious traffic.

Overnight Sunday, after we determined the denial-of-service threat no longer existed, AT&T removed the block on the IP addresses in question. We will continue to monitor for denial-of-service activity and any malicious traffic to protect our customers.

Perfect. So, to alleviate the problems experienced by one user, due to one incident, AT&T's logic mandates network-wide MAD. Apparently simply blocking an IP from the user in question wasn't simple enough, and punishing everyone else was apparently the only answer. Bloody brilliant.

Ahem.

Neutral to 4chan. No relation to above article either. Still, this is little more than vie for power over freedoms I think.

Still' date=' I don't like it one bit that ISPs are trying to decide what sites you should be able to access. As common carriers they [b']bear no responsibility for the content[/b] of any sites, and therefore they don't have any business censoring the internet.

Couldn't agree more.

It's like "we don't care whose fault it is if they screw you over, but you can't go there because we said so." Screw that.

Probably.

American speeds suck :(

Seconded. Even wireless.

Archived