Home

Yeah you are right Lago, it's definitely a little too busy. My dock is auto hiding... and I keep the icons much smaller which helps a bit. But it is a little loud. We'll say how long I can stand it. LOL

Fealiks I'm using geektool. Which is a fun little app you should get familiar with if you are on a mac. Most of what I'm doing with it is pretty standard.

My one real achievement is ripping the most recent tweet from of my twitter page and displaying that as the spoken line of conversation.

Now don't get me wrong. I am kind of morally opposed to twittering. I think it's fairly wasteful and masturbatory.

BUT my setup has single handedly given me a tremendous boost in web presence both personally and in terms of promoting many of my projects. I use Facebook's twitter app and a free service called twitter2gtalk to populate my all my statuses from twitter. Then I use the Google Quick Search Box to update twitter with minimal distraction and keystrokes.

Finally I've been displaying that status prominently on my desktop with geek tool. I used to be that guy with the 6 month old away message about some concert I was looking forward to. Now I updated those status things like twice a week. I use it to promote projects, and announce changes in my life. It turns out people REALLY read them and follow links in them. To a remarkable degree, even more than my emails I think.

Anyway here is how the geektool twitter rip is achieved. I'm not really a coder so their may be redundancy/inefficiency here. But it works:

First find a tutorial on installing lynx... and figure that out. Then enter this (Which I cobbled together myself with LOADS of trial and error) into a shell prompt in geektool:

/sw/bin/lynx -dump href=<b>- http;\\twitter.calm/YOUR_USER_NAME -</b> | awk '/ 1. /,/ 2. /' | perl -pi -e 'tr/\012\015//d' | perl -nle 'print for m: 1. (.*)11]:' | sed -e 's/.$//g'

Have fun. If you should re-post my little twitter ripper somewhere, I would appreciate being credited.

Just to get this out there I think if they ever made a new point and click Monkey Island game they should use the rocket dock idea for Items. It would be pretty cool. And I dont mean a remade monkey island like the Special Editions I mean like a new Monkey island like not TOMI in a diferent way just like the old ones but In 3D. Heres an example the game rampages used the same type of thing. The enviroment and characters are 3D but its from the same old 2D side view. That would be kinda cool. Well At least I think it would. It actualy would be great in Guy.brush's MI2 Remake idea with the 3D enviroment. At least thats what I think it is.

Archived