Home

Steampunk Disney (Epic Mickey)

jrrtoken

(or how Warren Spector made Mickey Mouse awesome again)

Source

Warren Spector, who we all know was the lead creative force behind System Shock and Deus Ex (Both are must plays for FPS and RPG fans alike, to boot), seems to working on a new title at his Junction Point Studios. Spector sold JPS to Disney back in '07, but new info seems to reveal that the company hasn't been assimilated into the Disney technological gamut unlike other studios.

"Epic Mickey" is the code name for the game in development at JPS. While the name sounds rather vague, the completely beautiful and equally impressive concept art seems to paint a much more mature theme of a Mickey Mouse-inspired steampunk world. While the concept sounds unfathomable, it seems to be a bizarre amalgamation of System Shock's cyborg variations with Disney characters:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
mm7rko.jpg2hi022s.jpgepicmickey072904.jpg2e3u34x.jpg
First of all, I'm completely surprised that Disney would even allow this sort of stuff. Don't get me wrong; I love the concept, but it seems so unlike Disney to allow such a bizarre take on a franchise like this. This better not end up being canceled, goddammit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, looks special & weird, certainly with the Disney characters mangled like that x-D

Lets hope something good comes out of this.

Besides System shock en Deus Ex I can't remember a game that went OK for Mr. Warren.

Only news that he left game company after game company...

This is... weird.

My thoughts exactly. If you want children to cry at the sight of a mechanical-patchwork Goofy or a Giant spider version of Micky, (how else to describe it? Mechanical Micky Mouse Spider thing with a face on his shoulder?) this wouldn't be a game you want to play with young children who grew up watching Disney DVDs or children whose favorite character is Minny Mouse (dear lord what will they have done to her? :p)

• 2 months later...

Lo, Epic Mickey is a confirmed working title; it also seems to be the game's permanent title. GameInformer graciously features it on the cover its upcoming November issue. To mark the Wii-exclusive title's announcement, it shall release a new interview with Warren Spector later this day. Huzzah for all. o_Q

gam_epicmickeytall_580.jpg

Source

GameInformer Page, w/ interview

How can you people actually like this monstrosity of a game?

I feel physically ill looking at those sketches. I mean, how

can you do this to such beloved Disney characters.

Walt must be spasming in his grave.

You sound like you have played it and that you have formed a good opinion about a game of which only screenshots and concept art has been released. :)

Walt Disney = artist.

Making games = form of art

Archived