Home

LucasForums Layoff Soundoff!

Tysyacha

Hello, sports fans--er, Star Wars fans! :thmbup1:

As of today, July 31st, I no longer have a job with the company at which I work. I got laid off because of absolutely devastating budget cuts to human services in my home state, prompting hundreds of thousands of people with developmental disabilities (like myself) to lose their jobs and services as well. The State has been using us as pawns in a sick political game to try and get the public to support a tax increase, which they will not do. Even under the seemingly-benign terminology of "revenue increase", they see through it.

There is a chance I could get my job back in a week or two, but the chance is slim. According to the Governor, we are about $9 billion in the hole now.

Thus my question, humbly asked: How many of you have ever been laid off from work, or are facing layoffs at your job right now? What did you do? Did you have any trouble filing for or receiving unemployment? How long did it take for you to find a new job, or get your old job back? Any advice for me? :)

Trying to keep it together,

Tysyacha

It's really too bad that politics in this day and age stoops to a level such as what you're facing Tysy. Unfortunately I don't have much advice for you. The longest I went without a job was three months after I left the military. Fortunately for me I had money saved up, but I basically came down to about one month's worth of bill money before I finally accepted the job I have now.

With your situation would you be able for social security in addition to your unemployment? I will admit not knowing much about it, but I was just thinking that every little bit might help.

I do wish you the best and will definitely keep you in my thoughts! I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

JediAthos,

I actually tried to apply for Social Security Disability benefits back when I was 18, but they said I was too smart and too-able bodied NOT to work. Yes, they said I had a disability, but they said I wasn't disabled enough to get their benefits. So, I had to put myself through the wringer several times.

Thanks for asking, though! :)

You're only $9bn in debt? Heh. The UK is in the hundreds-of-billions mark, and our government's plan at present is - and I kid you not - to borrow its way out of the recession.

Thats nothing! Our presidents answer was to spend more money! And when that didnt work he wanted to print more...

Last time I checked, Michigans unimployment rate was 15%. Sad really.

Ive got sorta job security. Working in a nursing home, so I havent gotten any news about getting tossed out cause of budget cuts or anything.

@Tysy--to get SSI in IL, you must have a lawyer. I would get one and reapply. Applying for unemployment is terribly easy--just call the number listed in the government pages of your telephone book. Also, contact the local job center. They'll be able to help you find another job or maybe get your old one back.

Get your resume fixed up and ready to go, too. :)

CA...we're broke...Blame whatever you want, Arnold, Illegals, bums and idiots, wasteful spending, or all the above. It's often joked that CA is now a foreign country. You know what? That isn't far off.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

Glad I can scrounge work and innovate my work along the way--I try to work areas that will always be in demand. Just wish to god it'd include more electrical/repair work. Even landscaping.

Unless you are mentally ill, you will be turned away for SSI. However, even then it is an IOU. It's a promise for payment. Could be honored on good graces or not. No requirements either way. I forsee, though, a lot of people ending up holding the bag on the naitonal level.

I'm in the UK, but, I've been working cut hours for a year now... it's not unemployment but I have lost a large amount of my paycheck. I wouldn't do it but there are next to no full time jobs available in this two bit country :(

hope you get sorted soon bud.

sorted

v. From English slang terminology. 1. To be sorted. To be under the influence of Class A Drugs. Broader uses include being under the influence of other drugs and also being equipped with ecstasy (or other substances) 2. To have things in order

Sorry, let my mid ninety's Club Talk resurface for some reason :eek:

Unless you are mentally ill, you will be turned away for SSI. However, even then it is an IOU. It's a promise for payment. Could be honored on good graces or not. No requirements either way. I forsee, though, a lot of people ending up holding the bag on the naitonal level.

This is incorrect information--I regularly see people who are on SSI for severe physical impairments. Medicaid is a state program, but I believe SSI is a federal program even if it's administered through the state. The reason it takes so long to get approval is that too many people have abused the system, and so the gov't has made it very hard to get approval. You pretty much need a lawyer to get approval because it takes that much paperwork filled out exactly correctly to get it done, particularly in IL. IL has a history of just denying first-time applicants out of hand for no good reason, too. That's why I made the recommendation to seek legal advice and re-apply.

I'm facing an uncertain future as well. The division that I work is in the middle of being bought by a large European company, and we are waiting to see what they want to do with us. They are saying some of the right things, but we have our doubts. Should know in a few weeks...

This is incorrect information--I regularly see people who are on SSI for severe physical impairments. Medicaid is a state program, but I believe SSI is a federal program even if it's administered through the state. The reason it takes so long to get approval is that too many people have abused the system, and so the gov't has made it very hard to get approval. You pretty much need a lawyer to get approval because it takes that much paperwork filled out exactly correctly to get it done, particularly in IL. IL has a history of just denying first-time applicants out of hand for no good reason, too. That's why I made the recommendation to seek legal advice and re-apply.

I had a feeling that I wasn't getting the whole story from the individuals I was "chauffeuring" around. Thanks.

Part of it is calling these delusional people's bluffs b/c they're not idiots.

@ thread: Yeah, pretty much if you don't have a job, make a niche or glom on somewhere else if you can is the story of where I'm at.

Sorry to hear that Tsy :(

I have been laid off once. It was the one time I decided to work for a private consulting company...where job stability is far more fragile. Now Im back in the public health sector, and lay offs are very rare in this area. Pay may be relatively low to the private practictioners but job security is high.

My main advice is to stay positive and continue to actively look for work. Ask your employer for a letter of recommendation, because it can help if you go to work somewhere else as it will curb any assumption that you were laid off because of poor performance.

chin up.

Astro

^^^Maybe not in your state. Are you getting paid money or IOU's?

In CA, workers are getting cut back. The ones considered absolutely essential are kept but they no longer get chcks, they get IOUs. They're pretty much are at the mercy of whomever to cash these or NOT. Basically a question of who wants to be left holding the bag in the end. Not a pretty picture.

Archived