Home

TSL Crash after Crawler *Vista*

ROTNR

Hello everyone,

Well, I just bought a copy of KotOR 2: TSL, but I can't play it =( *Oh the Irony* So, obviously I am going to post here LOL. I am using windows Vista and Ishould meet all the requirements (KotOR works perfectly) I have patched and had the mss32.dll I also ran a Can You RUN It? LOL it says I can't because my video card, but I think it's because Im just not using the chipset it wants me to use. Here a pic of my results.

prob.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Pete

ROTNR, I'm not an expert but I have come across that myself a couple a times with some other games, and I've been able to fix them with a few tricks. So maybe these suggestions will help you until somebody more knowledgeable comes along.

You could try and update your drivers for the video card. I'd find out who made it and go to their website, if they have one, and see if you could get any updated downloads for it that would be compatible with K2. That has worked for me a couple of times.

On another instance, I found out that my Open GL was out of date. So I downloaded some updated drivers for that...cured the problem, go figure.

Oh and the last thing, and I hope you really don't have to do this, was that I had to just simply go out and by another Video card as bad as I hated too. The old one wasn't compatible with the requirements of the game; come to think of it - it was getting old anyway.

Hey don't forget to ask the Tech support at LucasArts too - ROTNR, I'll bet they've dealt with this sort of thing on many occasions.

Anyway, hope this helps you.

You have an Intel GPU. KotOR and TSL only support Nvidia and ATI. Other people have gotten it to work on an Intel GPU after some fiddling, but I'm not sure what they did. I've never tried it, myself.

Ask around on the Obsidian forums as well. Maybe somebody there will know what to do.

EDIT: I did some searching and it seems that your particular Intel GPU does have hardware transform and lighting support, so it should be able to run the game. Try these possible fixes out one at a time, so that you'll know which one fixed the problem.

Remember that KotOR1 and TSL don't like multi-core CPUs:

After starting the game, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up the task manager. Right-click "Knights of the Old Republic" under the applications list and select "Go to process." Right click on the highlighted process (probably something like kotor.exe) and select "Set Affinity..." In the dialog box that comes up, deselect all but one core. Then return to the game and see what happens ^/_\^

Just remember that you'll need to do this every time you start the game.

Here is the generic fix for Intel GPUs:

1. Click Start » Settings » Control Panel » Display » Settings » Advanced » Intel Extreme Graphics (or Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator) » Graphics Properties...
  2. Click the OpenGL tab.
  3. Select Blit as the Flipping Policy.

I don't know whether or not this can be applied to your newer Vista notebook. You'll just have to try and fiddle around with your driver settings.

I'm guessing that your laptop is widescreen? TSL does support 1280x800 natively, but you'll have to hack "swkotor2.ini" in your game folder to do it. Just open it with notepad and look under "Display Options" and then "Graphics Options". Change the resolution to 1280x800 in both places, save and exit.

Turn off all of the eye candy in the game by going into the graphics options menu and deactivating anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, frame buffer effects, shadows and grass.

Put the entry "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" under "Graphics Options" in the "swkotor2.ini" file found in your main game folder (open with notepad).

Archived