Home

Pillsbury Doughboy (and other gags you might miss in MI:SE)

Admonisher

I was playing MI:SE the other day, enjoying the novelty of flipping back and forth between the original and SE versions, when I noticed a visual gag from the original game that's missing from the SE. In the Scumm Bar kitchen, the cook has a portrait on the wall. Even in low resolution, it's clear that this is supposed to be the Pillsbury Doughboy. (At least, it seems awfully clear to me! Anyone care to challenge?) Switch to the SE version, however, and it changes to a generic chef image.

In fairness, the SE does add visual gags (such as a certain "Grim" face later in the game) ... but this got me wondering how many other visual jokes from the original might have slipped through the cracks in the transition to hi-res. If there are any, I'd probably never catch them unless I flipped back and forth on every single screen, which I am not apt to do. So how 'bout it ... anyone else here notice anything of the kind?

P.S. I don't intend this to be a SE-bashing thread! Just an information-gathering one.

The Sam & Max idol in front of the giant monkey head was changed to Purple Tentacle.

And, since it's based on the CD version, it doesn't have the stump joke, or the Charles Atlas joke (I had to check Grumpy Gamer about the Charles Atlus joke when LogicDeLuxe posted about it in the Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition thread, since I'd never heard about it before ;))

There's no doubt that they overlooked some non-technical details when doing the special edition; I've been noticing a few while playing without even trying. I guess it's to be expected, though — most remakes change WAY more than this.

Things I noticed are that the font used for 'Stan' on his big sign is using the wrong font, as in both MI1 and MI2 it had quite a distinctive logo. Maybe CMI too, I can't remember.

Also, in Stan's shipyard there's a boat with three planks and a sign that says 'Fuel Economy' or something like that on it, which I'm pretty sure is meant to be a joke. In the special edition it just has two planks but still has the sign.

Interestingly though, looking out for details like this has made me notice a lot of oddities with the original game that I'd never noticed. For example, if you look at a building from the outside and then go inside, the building structure and window placement is more often than not completely wrong. Obvious places to see what I mean are the SCUMM Bar and the shop.

And yes, lack of stump joke is a big :(.

One thing I noticed was Guybrush not changing color when running out of air underwater. Only when he actually drowned did his face change color and that made the scene less funny than it used to be. It's a strange change to make.

Also on a lesser note, Carla is not fidgeting around while meditating anymore. I never could make out what exactly was she doing in the old version and it seems that neither did the Special Edition team since now she just stands completely still.

There were lots of little things like this but I can't really think of any more right now. I only finished the SE once.

Yeah, actually I think that Carla change was OK. It was really bizarre how she moved in the original and almost looked like a bug. To me it looked like she was just spinning on the spot while stood up straight, which is a weird way to meditate.

Didn't the original engine scale the sprites when in the distance, like how Guybrush becomes similarly unclear when he gets near Carla? Has anyone seen whether or not there's a larger sprite in the original resource files, and that it was simply scaled down and became weird looking?

Edit: After looking at the sprite sheet it looks like she really was just spinning or flipping on the spot as there's no special case animation for it, so I guess the change was justified as it'd look ridiculous with the clearer fidelity of the special edition.

^^^

You mean the part where he calls them foul-smelling grog-swilling pigs? I just checked that part again and the music does stop but the timing is a bit off. In my CD version there was a short very quiet pause before one of the leaders answers to Guybrush but in the Special Edition the music played normally. The music stopped only when the pirate leader answers to Guybrush. I also tried switching the scene into the original one and the timing is the same there also.

And another thing, I seem to remember the chef sitting still when you talked to him in the special edition but in the original his hands we're all over the place, a bit like Stan's. I don't have a SE savegame near there right now so I can't be bothered to confirm it though.

Well the FM-Towns versions were a little bit different.

And the stump joke. Well the SE is no disc version (like the original CD-version). So what? ;) It´s nevertheless pity.

I also think Carla was a bug.

@Jeopando

I have. He doesn´t move like Stan in the SE.

^^^

You mean the part where he calls them foul-smelling grog-swilling pigs? I just checked that part again and the music does stop but the timing is a bit off. In my CD version there was a short very quiet pause before one of the leaders answers to Guybrush but in the Special Edition the music played normally. The music stopped only when the pirate leader answers to Guybrush. I also tried switching the scene into the original one and the timing is the same there also.

Yeah, but the background noise continues. Everything should stop... that's the whole point of the joke (except they didn't have background sound, so they used music in the original).

In first place --> Sorry for my bad english, I'm spanish :(

There are some jokes that I miss... Some of the jokes has been told for you. There are others:

1- The word "Publicity" in the conversation with "Ask me about Loom" guy. I know that it's a little detail, but I love the way that this word made the joke more... mmm... "funny" for me.

2- The phrase "Shut down the computer and go to the bed!", it was one of the best moments ever on Monkey Island! :p When I played the game for the first time and I saw this... wow, I was hallucinating and I laughed very much with this joke because I was in late night hour. I'm sad by the elimination of this phrase. This moment was a funny

mischief of LucasArts and I love it.

Yeah, I understood, I miss the Scummbar smiley too...

Sniff sniff :(

That's not what I was talking about... :confused:

*JOKES*

But yeah, tbh I never really understood why that smiley face was there anyway. Anyone have any information?

Edit: After looking at the sprite sheet it looks like she really was just spinning or flipping on the spot as there's no special case animation for it, so I guess the change was justified as it'd look ridiculous with the clearer fidelity of the special edition.

It is a justified change kind of but the question still remains: what the zark was she supposed to be doing!? I was waiting to see that part in the special edition hoping that it might've cleared that mystery. There were some parts on the SE where I finally noticed what the old art was representing. I always thought the shopkeeper just had a very strange crooked cane but it turned out to be a sword. Not that the old art was bad, far from it!

Yeah, but the background noise continues. Everything should stop... that's the whole point of the joke (except they didn't have background sound, so they used music in the original).

Oh yeah... The timing was enough to throw me off so I didn't even think about that.

I just came up with something else. This wasn't a gag or anything but it is the result of the hd graphics: The PTA minutes says "Directions to Monkey Island" if you look closely on the inventory icon since it's the same picture as the Monkey Island directions found on the Sea Monkey. In the old version the text on the icon wasn't readable so they could re-use it. That mistake could've been avoided I think.

The word "Publicity" in the conversation with "Ask me about Loom" guy.

No, there´s no Loom SE. I think that´s the reason. "You mean the last masterpiece of fantasy storytelling of LucasFilm games Brian Moriarty?" Was that the right sentence? And Loom isn´t the last thing of LA and so on. ;)

And like the stump joke.

Remember many people asked LA about the discs. I think LA´s sick of it now. :D

It is a justified change kind of but the question still remains: what the zark was she supposed to be doing!? I was waiting to see that part in the special edition hoping that it might've cleared that mystery.

I believe Guybrush says she's meditating... Guess it was a cheap animation in order to help them from needing to write any more lines for her :) (Either that or the real Carla Green liked to spin around/meditate.) It's interesting to note how they DO change some things from the 256 colour original!

2- The phrase "Shut down the computer and go to the bed!", it was one of the best moments ever on Monkey Island! :p When I played the game for the first time and I saw this... wow, I was hallucinating and I laughed very much with this joke because I was in late night hour. I'm sad by the elimination of this phrase. This moment was a funny

mischief of LucasArts and I love it.

The phrase is there if you switch to the original version during the end credits (laughed my ass off when I saw it - much like it was when you saw it, I too was playing late at night). :)

No, there´s no Loom SE. I think that´s the reason. "You mean the last masterpiece of fantasy storytelling of LucasFilm games Brian Moriarty?" Was that the right sentence? And Loom isn´t the last thing of LA and so on. ;)

And like the stump joke.

Remember many people asked LA about the discs. I think LA´s sick of it now. :D

Mmm, yes, it's true that Loom isn't the last thing of LucasArts. :) But I was referring to the word "Publicity" that appeared in the bottom of the screen in the original version of MI1 when the "ask me about Loom" guy talked about the game. This word was blinking on the bottom in the original version, but in the SE the word isn't there.

I think the joke works fine because you can buy Loom in Steam (although you're right when you say that Loom is not the last game of LucasArts, it's a complicated joke now :p:p).

Grog for everyone!! XD

Mmm, yes, it's true that Loom isn't the last thing of LucasArts. :) But I was referring to the word "Publicity" that appeared in the bottom of the screen in the original version of MI1 when the "ask me about Loom" guy talked about the game.

You mean the flashing "<ADVERTISEMENT>" text?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LOOM_advert_in_Monkey_Island.png

Archived