Home

Trauma: Skype could be shut down...

jonathan7

Skype might have to shut down because of a dispute over the core technology used to make the internet telephone system work.

EBay, which paid $2.6 billion (£1.6 billion) for the voice-over-the-internet system in 2005, is facing a court battle with the original founders of the company who retained the rights to the technology at the heart of the system.

EBay admitted in a regulatory filing that it might have to close down the company. It said it was trying to develop alternative software but if that did not work, or if eBay lost the right to the original software: "Skype would be severely and adversely affected and the continued operation of Skype's business as currently conducted would likely not be possible."

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article6735381.ece

Good news is court date is set for over 11 months, and I imagine closure is actually worst case scenario...

:¬:

I never really understood the need for Skype. We've already got: Email, texting, phone calls, myspace, facebook, etc...:giveup:

Skype is a very easy way to create large group chats that can remain open even if no one is online in the group. It's also great and famous for its voice caht... plus Skype is what we use to record LucasCast.

I never really understood the need for Skype. We've already got: Email' date=' texting, phone calls, myspace, facebook, etc...:giveup:[/quote']Skype is an easy way for me to chat with friends I've meet on the forum without spamming up every thread with personal conversations and wise cracks.

Do you seriously think I would give these people my home phone number? :carms:

:xp:

Skype is an easy way for me to chat with friends I've meet on the forum without spamming up every thread with personal conversations and wise cracks.

Do you seriously think I would give these people my home phone number? :carms:

:xp:

Why would you want to hear their voices? It ruins the illusion:p

Archived