Home

I Started That Trend : Nerdy Stuff That Became Popular

Father Torque

I was attempting to clean my room today and took a gander at my vast Vans shoe collection. I have been wearing Vans since the dawn of time "aka 1995" and remembered buying my first pair for the first day of Elementary school. Since this was my first pair of non-LA Gear light up shoes w/ velcro I was worried that the other kids might not adjust to my rebellious change of style. My new kicks looked fresh with a purple pair of sweatpants and matching sweatshirt so I dedicated my feet to a lifetime of comfortable Vans commitment.

It seems these days that every average young person turned psuedo-Indie rockstar is wearing Vans because they are "alternative" and make you look cultured. I'm upset that my beloved shoe has become subject to a pop culture fad and that I am viewed in the same light as these imposters.

So I ask you fellow Swampies, what did/do you rock that got stolen by the masses?

I listened to Coldplay ages ago, back when none of my friends really knew who they were. Then all of a sudden they got noticed and everyone thought they were cool and started listening to them, then they got REALLY popular and everyone started making fun of the fans as "sheep" who just listened to Coldplay because the media liked them.

I don't wear Vans/DCs because they are "alternative" and make me look cultured. I just hate Nikes/Adidas style shoes, and find Vans to be more comfortable. That, and because the Vans store at the mall is the only place I find that reliably carries size 14 shoes in store. Even in their outlet stores I can occasionally find some nice cheap ones.

I listened to Coldplay ages ago, back when none of my friends really knew who they were. Then all of a sudden they got noticed and everyone thought they were cool and started listening to them, then they got REALLY popular and everyone started making fun of the fans as "sheep" who just listened to Coldplay because the media liked them.

same here. my sister got a disgusted reaction from someone when she said she liked coldplay with the reason "(ew,) thats so mainstream."

but my sis only liked coldplay after she heard my albums about two years ago. ive loved them since, like, '99.

1) Long Hair. I was the only dude in my school with a mop down to my waist--when it wasn't cool. Started from a short mullet-esque haircut (short top and back w/ shaved sides). Been letting my hair grow ever since. By sept 21st, it will be my 11 year anniversary since I got my last true haircut.

Now I see everyone +/-5 years than me has taken the hint and are growing their hair out when they used to talk Sh*t about it a few years ago. I could kick an old lady.

2) Listened to Ozzy and Cradle of Filth before everyone else did in my school; rather I re-initiated it into popular culture at my school. Also add hair metal like Quiet Riot, and ICP in a category of their own.

Air Band a couple years and all of a sudden I'm "cool" now. >_>

Only a couple years before I was bad guy "most likely to go columbine"?...wtf??? Is it just me? I thought freaks just did airband because it was "natural to air" not for fame or prizes. F*cking cheerleaders still get first place, though despite the popularity being in my favor. Meh.

First insult: The Osbourne's TV show. They milked it. Such fakery and drama. Ozz will continue to be cool, but I just wanna take a lawnmower to all the DVDs.

Second insult: "Oh wow, I'm so cool b/c I listen to THAT too!" Suppose it's the new generation, but I still don't like damn emos.

3) Beavis and Butthead is cool again now. Man, I been watching them since they first came out as part of the oddities. When the shows were considered "social disease" and "tome of anti-christ". I saw when principal McDicker first lost his hair. Oddities The Maxx and sh*t like that.

same here. my sister got a disgusted reaction from someone when she said she liked coldplay with the reason "(ew,) thats so mainstream."

but my sis only liked coldplay after she heard my albums about two years ago. ive loved them since, like, '99.

I just saw Coldplay in concert a few months ago - we were in the mosh pit (not that we were moshing to Coldplay though) right in front of the stage.

And they were good.

_EW_

Listened to some bands like Children Of Bodom and Nightwish back before they made it big, when I was maybe 11 years old. I've since outgrown those bands, but back when they started becoming insanely popular it annoyed me a lot.

Archived