Home

Combat

jrrtoken

(Or how impressively vague BioWare's marketing sessions can be)

Since the term "choreographed combat" gives off the impression of a feather in terms of descriptive content, what sort of combat system do you think will be integrated into TOR?

BioWare seems to be integrating TOR with all of the gameplay elements in Mass Effect, so I have a feeling (not necessarily good or bad, though) that we'll see the same sort of real-time schtuff a la Mass Effect. While I'd prefer a RTwP or a faster-paced turn-based sort of system (Much like within KotOR, only with more tactical features and with less suck), but I'd highly doubt it being used, though.

• 3 weeks later...

PastramiX: What's RTwP? I saw you mention it in the Friday Update post too. "Real Time with Pausing"? Pausing is very hard to do in MMOs. And I have noticed a lot of TOR looks to draw more influence from Mass Effect than KotOR. Mass Effect is very fun, I'm glad it's being used, especially for the gunslinger classes.

StarWarsPhreak: What is "1-0 Combat"?

I know you were answering, I was just giving a semi-sarcastic, mostly curious question as to what alternatives to "1-0 Combat" StarWarsPhreak could want.

It'd have been nice if they could do something other than 1-0, or at least made the dice rolling more transparent.

I guess there really isn't anything that can be done about it. It seems that's all MMO developers can do combat-wise.

It'd have been nice if they could do something other than 1-0, or at least made the dice rolling more transparent.

I guess there really isn't anything that can be done about it. It seems that's all MMO developers can do combat-wise.

What alternatives to 1-0 do you have in mind? A TOR-specific peripheral that lets you hold a gun or lightsaber in your hand? A DDR pad to let you run with that instead? At this point complaining about using a keyboard on a PC is like complaining about gamepad controllers on consoles.

I think the problem isn't the different styles of combat so much as your unmarketable tastes that make the potential buyers of games that appeal to you too few in number. :p

Not true.

I found DDO combat both difficult to control and extreamly slow and boring. Wow was essentially press certain buttons in the same order over and over again... From what I have always understood the combat of TOR will be choreographed so that lightsabers parry ect; blaster bolts are reflected and basiclly the combat is more realsitic to watch movement wise.

Whatever they actually do with the comabt I probably wont like it that much (unless its alot more like Kotor then I think it will be) but thats not what attracts me to the game.

Maybe Hallucination means that if they do it as an action-RPG game, it'll be too actiony for the RPG fans, and too RPG-y for the action fans, turning both off of it. They do need to draw that fine line.

Actually I was just joking about Insignia complaining about two different systems but not really defining what he likes. o_Q

Archived