Home

District 9

Revan 411

Yeah it looks intriguing, although I'm sure most will be disappointed. That's how it usually works. I do plan on seeing it though.

Yep, looks like one of those movies. Might be pretty thrilling, but kind of looks like it'll manage to disappoint. Might turn out to be great though, so you never know. I think I'll watch it.

I'm absolutely seeing this, hopefully on opening night.

It's been getting excellent reviews (I haven't seen a bad one yet), some saying it has the best visual effects to date.

I hadn't expected this, so I checked it out and you're right. It's 10 for 10 so far on RottenTomatoes, which is still really early but definitely a great start. If the positive reviews continue it should generate even more buzz - let's hope it lives up to the hype.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i saw this one at midnight last night. great movie.

the movie starts out having this whole pseudo-documentary feel to it as it introduces you to the whole premise behind the movie. there's a lot of insight to the story from there, and without spoiling anything, the movie quickly dissolves whatever aliens-arriving-on-earth stereotypes. the whole story feels quite unique, and its very well told. of course, that does mean that, for once, the action is more of a supporting role in this movie, but given some of the poor action flicks to come out recently, this is an excellent reprieve.

i think the best part of the movie, though, was with the characters themselves. the writers did a flat out awesome job of rounding out the main character. he starts out being this cookie-cutter character, but as events unfold around him, you see all kinds of sides to him that you never would've expected. the other characters in the movie are also fleshed out nicely with one or two exceptions.

with all that said, the only major detraction i can think of for this movie was that there was waaaayyy too many f-bombs. otherwise, this is a solid movie that, in my book, should be in the running for Best Picture at the next Oscars. 9/10

I saw it just tonight and only because it was an outing with friends. Otherwise I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I would say that it had an original alien plot not done before, like Men in Black, but I would not see it again. I didn't hate it, I don't regret seeing it, but I didn't really enjoy it. I also didn't really care for the ending... I won't spoil it. It could have been worse, but the main character did come through when he didn't have to.

I saw this at the midnight showing last night, and I can safely say it exceeded my expectations. What surprises me the most is that they were able to pull off such amazing visual effects on only a $30 million budget.

Everything - directing, writing, acting - was awesome. It's pretty incredible that Copley (Wikus) has never acted before. He nailed every aspect of his character like he had done it thousands of times before, and he deserves at least an Oscar nod, if not a win, for this.

I've planned on seeing since I saw the first trailer. Though it is somewhat of a buzzkill to know of the movie that they ceased work on to make this. Which isn't saying this is going to be a bad movie, but a Halo movie would catch my interest much quicker. Alien movies don't usually catch my interest much. (AVP is the only one I really like - Requiem lacked, however)

I also wanted to add that there really weren't any other major characters that developed aside from Wikus. There was a CGI alien that probably would have been the closest to a 2nd star role in the movie, but there was really very little meaningful character interaction throughout the movie. There were some really greedy characters that continued being evil, but I couldn't help wondering what really changed at the end.

Just got back from seeing it.

I was hooked after the first trailer, but started to have concerns after the second. I lowered my expectations a bit, but held out hope that I would still be treated to the quality of movie I've come to expect from something that PJ was attached to.

The documentary feel was a great touch. Some of the supporting characters were a little under-developed. The guy playing Wikus did a flat-out outstanding job with role. The CGI was great (weta workshop wins again!).

Don't know if I'll see it again in the theaters, but there is a strong chance this will end up in my collection when it comes out on DVD. By far one of the best films of summer.

I just got back from it, I thought it was a very good movie, although

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
The parts when he was pulling his teeth and fingernails out and ripping apart his skin was disgusting, I think had they continued the fingernail scene a second longer I would have had to turn away, I understand why they did it, it just seemed a bit overdone.

Show spoiler
The parts when he was pulling his teeth and fingernails out and ripping apart his skin was disgusting, I think had they continued the fingernail scene a second longer I would have had to turn away, I understand why they did it, it just seemed a bit overdone.
Hah, someone in the theatre I went to bolted towards the bathroom with their hands over their mouth during that part.

Show spoiler
best part of the movie was the pig cannon, hilarity ensues

Archived