Home

Official Indie Game challenge thread!

It doesn't give the source, but the Secret History article says

[Tim and Dave] began to write humorous placeholder dialog for the characters to amuse each other. The Scummlets never thought they were doing anything more than fooling around, but when Ron saw the dialog he insisted that it would be part of the actual game.

Anyway, Frantic Franko is my own adventure game. With a nasty, half-blind dwarven warrior as the main hero. Currently, I've released a big wip demo (Mojo wrote about it in the news a month ago). The full-version will hopefully have voice-overs. If anyone is interested not only in trying the game out, but also reading about it's development process, I'm keeping a development diary of sorts on my indie adventure gaming website.

AHA, just figured out what you avitar was! It's a Spoonbeak!

Sorry for the offtopicness, but that had been bugging me for a while, trying to remember where I'd seen it... :p

[Tim and Dave] began to write humorous placeholder dialog for the characters to amuse each other. The Scummlets never thought they were doing anything more than fooling around, but when Ron saw the dialog he insisted that it would be part of the actual game.

Yeah, but that's a far cry from saying the game was supposed to be serious before they made a joke. It reads to me that their attempts at humour got them a writing gig/credit.

AHA, just figured out what you avitar was! It's a Spoonbeak!

Sorry for the offtopicness, but that had been bugging me for a while, trying to remember where I'd seen it... :p

Yeah, it's a spoonbeak from my favorite AGS game. I'm glad it was bugging you ;).

Yeah, it's a spoonbeak from my favorite AGS game. I'm glad it was bugging you ;).

I too was realy curiouse what it was. :raise:

Ok to get back on subject here is somthing I whiped up in a couple of seconeds on ms paint to give you guys the basic Idea of what I would do to bring the point and click adventures back in style. First off I need to get some things strait this game image is from the DOTT 2 fan made website. I just altered it and I will have some one make some nice ones for me to give you guys a more accurate Idea. and I will be posting a new game Idea to go along with this.

dot2_2.jpg

See the item box thats what this image is suposed to be advertising. Next I am going to do some of my realy amaturish rocket dock idea on ms paint (Dont judge me! :mad:) to advertise the rocketdock idea and then I will try to mash them together (Its hard puting all these ideas in one game) to advertise it all and I will be adding some more ideas.

Now to the game Idea:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
I was think of the DOTT 2 Fan Made altered with some of my ideas. I would have a comand wheele wich would have all your comands but they would be compact in a under the screen and when you click on the little arrow next to the wheel it would turn revealing the comands that were hidden on the bottom of the screen ( SO heres a better description:

You would have these comands in a circle like this

========Give===============

=====Use===Push==============

====Look=====Talk==============

=====Open===pull==============

========Close==============

But half of it would be hidden under the screen like so:

========Give===============

=====Use===Push==============

====Look=====Talk==============

-----------------------------------------------------

But when you click on one of the plusses it turns revealing more. This way you can fit more in the bottom command area but still have all your commands.) Ok next when your hover the mouse over the bottom area the box will pop up ( You know the area with the items commands and hoagie and Levern) and allow your to access these features.

You can also hover the mouse over the little wrench in the top right corner to access options and menu options and stuff like that. Next you can hover your mouse to the right of the screen and the right command boxl will pop up ( I will explain in a minute) with your right commands.

You can also have a setting to were you can have it classic with the bottom box being the classic theme from the first game or the new one with the command real. You can also have a setting to were you dont have to hover over it you can press a key or you can set it to were the box will always be up just like the classic Day of the Tentacle. Now I will explane the Side commands.

The right command box that pops up cant be set to the same settings as the main box. The right command will always be there throught the whole game even if you change any settings the box will never move. The box is hidden unless you hover over it. I wanted there to be an option for the classic box bellow with the classic comands and Items but I didnt want to hav the new commands in it. So I mad the seconed comand box. These comands will be used less than the normal commands. Here are the commands:

Grab (A quike way of picking stuff up without anyone seeing. For example in the first one you destract the sales man to switch out the guns. This command is the same so you can grab stuff. But you can only use it with some parts of the game. Some times this wont work.

Punch (You can only use with hogie) This is basicly an atack. You can use it to get some one out of your way. With Hoagie you can punch someone (With girls in the game you start to brag about how you can knock out a guy and she will get anoyed and walk away.) and this will make them move out of your way. This command can only be used in some parts of the game.

Quote (Can only be used with Bernard) The same as hoagies comand. You quote something and start talking. It fades to black and says 2 hours later in white letters and then fades back in showing the person he was talking to asleap. Then bernard steps over them. This also can only be used once in the game.

(Lavern doesnt have one of these commands.)

Examin - This command lets you examin somthing closer. So basicly a zoom option. It will zoom and the character will say what it is. This is for small items for example the dime stuck in the gum in the loby of the first game.

The special attack comands dont show up until you get to a point were you have to use them. For example Hoagies may show up in the middle of the game but you dont know when you will need to use it. Bernards might show up at the end of the game and you may need to use it as the last command you will use in the game.

This game would be way longer than the first and you will have more options and possibilitys making it harder but it wont boar you.

EDIT: Sorry the cirles didnt come out. I will fix it.

EDIT 2: OK fixed. Just added a bunch of = signs.

They'll convert it to a FPS for you.

Oh ya I realy didnt read the details. Theres no way I would get close to making a video game. Maby if I had my computer up and running I could acctually buy a program and maby take some classes or whatever because I am hoping that video games will be my future but if not computer programing or networking will do.

Hey has anyone in any other countrys found any competitions close to this at there gamestops? I will check it out. Its a yearly thing here in the states but gamestop is worldwide so you would think they would have other game challenges close to this somewhere else.

Oh and one more thing just to say this again please post your game Ideas it would be pretty cool having all your ideas to read and maby give suggestions. Oh and one more thing check out the "Game Suggestions!" thread in the off topic maythem and give your suggestions and ask questions. Thanks :thmbup1:

Heres the Registration Form just to give you an Idea of what you would need to enter (Even though theres like only 2 months left.)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Oh weird when I replied I only saw the topic post...I think the rest of the discussion didn't load for me--- it made sense at the time man!

There were two threads and they've been merged now :) that's all I was referring to. Your comment was perfectly acceptible and you're not going senile XD

I deleted the post so as to not confuse anyone further :p

There were two threads and they've been merged now :) that's all I was referring to. Your comment was perfectly acceptible and you're not going senile XD

I deleted the post so as to not confuse anyone further :p

Sorry I havnt been on for awhile. I dont realy know whats going on here but If I had 2 threads I am sorry I am realy realy! bad at doing that. Thanks.

Archived