Home

To sell or not to sell (Wii)

I have no clue where this subject really belongs so I am sorry if it does not go here.

A little over 2 years ago I bought a Nintendo Wii, I have about a dozen games for it. Now here is my problem, just this year I bought an Xbox 360 and since then have not really touched my Wii. I have a few games for the Wii that I still like (store bought and Virtual Console purchased) but I rarely play them.

In a way I want to sell the Wii if all it's doing is collecting dust, but I also have reasons to keep it. One of them being the upcoming Super Mario Bros. and the awaited Zelda Wii games. I also would like to keep it for my son when he gets older, he's 15 months old now but by the time he can play it the Wii will probably be obsolete.

I really don't have much of a desire to play this system anymore, I've never even bothered to try out the latest Indiana Jones game that I was excited about.

So I guess I do want to sell it but I'm afraid that if I do I might regret it.

What do you think? To sell or not to sell?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have a Wii I rarely use, but it's worth keeping because it's great as a guest/party activity. We often have friends and family over and many go upstairs to play Wii and many stay downstairs to play Rockband on the XBox 360. Also, you wont get much from a resale so it's probably not worth selling.

I have all three consoles and play the variety of games that appear on all three. For me, I have 31 games for my Wii (most of which are single player related and don't involve social/party gaming) now so it's been a very worthwhile purchase for me.

Though I have learnt that it's a bad idea to sell any console, ever. Don't sell, don't trade in. Keep everything you get. Down the line you will definitely want to go back and play some of those games again... and we should all realise that it's a bitch trying to find old video games years later from when they were originally sold.

Well, you can sell your Wii and not regret it later because in 2011, there is suppose to be a Wii II, which will have high definition graphics. Just think you're son will still not be old enough to play it by the time this console is new.

Well you all have made very good points and I agree about not getting much for the console. I know my brother in-law sold his 360 and like 5 games to gamestop and only got $120 for everything!
Despite the fact that I never sell or trade-in my games (even the crappy ones *glares at Mario Party 8*) I would especially advise against trading in games to Gamestop, especially for cash.

Well, you can sell your Wii and not regret it later because in 2011, there is suppose to be a Wii II which will have high definition graphics.
Source?

As for the topic at hand, I agree with Lynk, I would never sell any console or game; yearly sports releases notwithstanding, you just never know when you will want to go play and play it again. I still give my parents crap for selling my Genesis and 64 without my approval.

I do not believe that a Wii 2 or anything like that will be made. Nintendo has said that they don't see the point of making a new Wii system with HD graphics (too lazy for source). That said, their next console will probably have HD graphics, but will be a different focus from the Wii.

Anyways, I also would not sell any console. I still have all my consoles dating back to Sega Genesis and while my psone doesn't work anymore I am still glad I have all my old games. Because like the others said you may want to play it down the line and you will be kicking yourself if you sell it. And a long ways down the line it will be difficult to find some games you want.

True but I am afraid that it will become like my NES and SNES, runs for a little while before resetting or does not run at all, which I still have both systems.

If I would happen to decide to sell it, what would be my best method of doing so? Besides e-bay, I don't have the time for that (plus I don't really like e-bay).

Well, as a graphics junkie, I'm definitely no fan of the Wii, but I would say--keep it. Otherwise, when you really, really want to get out your Wii games, you won't be able to. Annoys the heck outta me when that happens.

QFT

Not that I have either, but I agree with the above...

True but I am afraid that it will become like my NES and SNES, runs for a little while before resetting or does not run at all, which I still have both systems.

If I would happen to decide to sell it, what would be my best method of doing so? Besides e-bay, I don't have the time for that (plus I don't really like e-bay).

Funnily enough Nintendo make the best made consoles out of any company. Also, I still have my SNES and it runs just as well as it did the first day I bought it... well the controllers are a little stiff cause I don't use them very much anymore, but that's understandable. It actually is very rare for a SNES to have any problems whatsoever. The NES on the other hand only really had a problem with reading carts (*blows into cart*)

The N64 is a beast when it comes to lastability. I should know, I gave my original N64 to my nephew and he put it through the grinder (so to speak), aside from the controllers wearing out, the console itself is still working the day it was bought. Same goes for the GameCube, same will apply for Wii, the Gameboy series and the DS.

After all, they're all made of Nintendium :p

Of course there will be some degredation if you don't store them well enough, bt EVERYTHING degrades over time, that's just how it is. Bottom line is, if you keep them well, then they should last for as long as you hope they will.

@ Shem: lolwut? no.

The N64 is a beast when it comes to lastability. I should know, I gave my original N64 to my nephew and he put it through the grinder (so to speak), aside from the controllers wearing out, the console itself is still working the day it was bought.

Damn straight - I still have (and sometimes play) my original one from Christmas 1996.

_EW_

I still have my N64 too, but I don't have it hooked up. I only owned 2 games for it anyway (one of them was a Star Wars game). I do still play my SNES somewhat regularly with my 5 year old son - that thing is indestructible. I do own my old NES too, but I don't know if it's still functioning.

Nintendium is amazing.

Also, I believe it's important to note that I won my SNES in a Nerf Bow and Arrow contest in the early 90s.

I can only echo everyone elses comments - don't sell it. You might not use it much now, but there's always a chance that you'll regret selling it in the long run.

That and there are plenty of good Wii games out there that people tend to overlook.

Hell, if that Disney project comes to fruition, I might actually buy one.

If you don't use it, why keep it?
Because if you paid $250 for it in the first place, you'll probably get a return of less than the original price?

Because there's a very good chance that you'll want to use it again in the future?

Because it only takes up the size of a router, and weighs barely 5 lbs, to boot?

Because they'll probably be worth much more as a collector's item in the future?

Archived