Home

Another Vista Problem that I can't find anywhere else

Jollyroger13

So i'm trying to play KOTOR on my machine and it won't even start.

Vista 64x Ultimate

6G ram

Radeon HD 4870 1G ram

AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.61

After trying and failing to get it to work on a XP virtual machine because of the lack for video support, the only problem the Scan Hardware has now is that under Video it returns a (null) 4096 and then Graphics recommended blah blah blah, all with the yellow dot before it, not even red.

steps already taken

compatibility mode

.dll fix

it already thinks xp is installed after the virtual machine

sound deactivated

ran as administrator

video drivers are up to date

"recommended settings"

browsed this forum and others, nobody seems to have had this problem or seen a fix

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/JollyRoger13/Untitled-1.jpg is screen shot of what happens seconds after I hit Game, and as you can see, taken as i type this. Obviously there isn't exactly an error code.

and http://shortText.com/5tqiwpjt1 is a link to the report that it has generated.

Thanks for listing your specs. :)

I've never seen an error report like that before. I admit that I know next to nothing about virtual machines, but it could have messed up your installation. Try reinstalling to eliminate that possibility, and run a registry cleaner like ccleaner after you uninstall and before you reinstall. Then follow the directions in the first two posts of this thread while reinstalling, paying special attention to:

-Installing the latest DirectX redistributable to fix Vista's lack of backward compatibility

-Replacing the old swkotor.exe with the one that's fixed for Vista by SecuROM

-Setting CPU affinity to only one of your four cores every time you start the game

And you might as well open "swkotor.ini" in your game folder with Notepad and enter "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" without the quotes under "Game Options", then save and exit.

This absolutely is a problem with SecuROM.

That message shown isn't actually text, but rather a code segment embedded in the executable by the copy protection system. I don't know why SecuROM is trying to print it. My first guess at an explanation would be it's a bug, followed by debugging mechanism (for the developers), or heap corruption.

Archived