Home

Spielberg to make HALO movie?!

leXX

Steven Spielberg Wants to make HALO Movie! It's gonna happen! http://bit.ly/1wGGa3 (via @GeekTyrant)

I'm so happy right now I could cry. A movie based on The Fall of Reach, directed by Spielberg, would be 87 kinds of awesome.

Edit: Oh yeah, and to all the Halo haters who will undoubtably come into this thread and start spewing thier crap about how Halo sucks blah blah blah, I would just like to say a premptive "Kiss my shiny metal Spartan ass". :)

I really hope this means we're going to finally have a good video game movie. I mean, it's Steven Spielberg, how could that go wrong?

And before anyone says "Indiana Jones 4" let me say this: that was actually a good movie IMO, just not good as an Indiana Jones movie. Also, George Lucas.

Even if you do count this as a "bad" Spielberg movie, it hardly makes for a bad track record. And part of the reason it didn't work so well as an Indiana Jones movie was because it was pretty campy, and I don't see anyone deciding a Halo movie should be campy any time soon.

Plus, it could have been Michael Bay... Or Uwe Boll...

Upon hearing that Spielberg wanted to do a Halo movie, my reaction was "that's pretty cool." Then I heard that the script was based off the novel The Fall Of Reach. I then shat not one, but two bricks.

I've read that book so many times I've lost count, and this news prompted me to read through it again, and I'm already almost done with it again :p

HU-RRAH!!! This is awesome news:D I am extremely glad that Spielberg is probably the one to do it, he has a ton of experience, and his name alone would definately help a HALO film:D I think Peter Jackson originally wanted to do it, but that got side-tracked, probably for the better....Spielberg and HALO, perfect combo:D

Halo Rocks.:)

Peter Jackson didn't do it and thus got into District 9.

And I don't care how much you like Halo, the Peter Jackson produced District 9 could be the best thing to happen to Sci-Fi movies in decades.

I didn't mean to say that Peter Jackson would not have been able to pull off a successful HALO movie if he was still going to do it, he's also an extremely good director.

Lord of the Rings was one of the many examples of his excellence{probably 3 of the best films I've seen:D}, King Kong was another, though that one wasn't as successful as LotR. But there is no doubt that District 9 looks completely awesome, and I agree with you that this could be the best thing for Sci-fi movies for decades.

Notice, I said probably for the better, if he was doing Halo, then he probably would not be doing District 9.

The whole thing with Jackson not making Halo anymore is all explained here.

Jackson and Blomkamp were going to bring Microsoft's Halo videogame franchise to the big screen, but when Hollywood bailed on Microsoft's demands, the duo ended up creating District 9, which opens August 14.

I would have been very happy with Jackson making it, and when I heard it wasn't gonna happen I was upset to say the least, so the news that Spielberg wants to do it now is just fantastic seeing as most people thought it was never gonna happen. And I don't care what anyone says, the Halo Universe from the point of view of the books makes for an absolutely amazing trilogy of films.

Since we're talking about District 9, I agree that it looks pretty cool, but I hope they keep the politics subtle. The whole "things that are different get socially repressed" thing isn't exactly new, nor is tying it to a political message. It's basically Planet of the Apes, only in reverse and with aliens; except replace Civil Rights Movement with Iraq War and/or Illegal Immigration. There are plenty of other examples of this as well. Heck, True Blood is doing the same thing right now with homosexuality. District 9 is also looking very misanthropic, which I generally dislike. Still though, it does look cool, and I love the realism they're giving it. I just question whether it's really going to revolutionize anything.

Both Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp worked on the Halo movie, and after awhile they started to like working together. When Halo fell apart, they decided to just do another sci-fi movie, and District 9 was born. District 9 would not have happened had it not been for Halo. They've basically said this themselves.

^^^

"Well, I believe in fate. And a lot of times in my career I've just let fate decide what happens," said Jackson. "I don't try to influence things too much. ‘Cause I kind of believe in some weird force that's out there, sort of deciding what happens in your life. And I just look back on it and think, well fate made a decision that it wasn't gonna be Halo that we made, it was gonna be District 9. 'Cause it literally happened within 24 hours. I mean, we woke up one morning thinking we were making Halo. That day we got the news that the studios, Fox and Universal, didn't want to make the film anymore."

When asked exactly what happened with the Halo film, Jackson replied, "It wasn't like the studios didn't want to make it with us, they just didn't want to make Halo anymore because they were arguing amongst themselves and with Microsoft and the rights and the deals and everything else. It was all these little politics that were kicking in."

Just like anything else. Fan films and all that stuff is what that story reminds me of. Happens far more often than most of us would like to admit.

Archived