Home

Anyone know if it's possible to extract Loom's CDDA.SOU?

MethodGit

There isn't much to this file as far as I can tell. Basically its a long wav file (without the header). You can import the data into Audacity using Import Raw.

I also found a WAV file header fix program (don't remember where right now) that you can add it to the file and play it.

If I remember correctly the data was a single track on the CD version of LOOM, so I don't think there are any splits or anything.

I tried using Import raw in different settings and found that it sounded best at 16 bit PCM mono at 44100.

Yes, I discovered it can also be read through GoldWave (a similar program to Audacity), and furthermore I seem to get the correct sound from choosing either 44100Hz Mono or 22050Hz Stereo (both 16-bit), so who knows what the correct specification is supposed to be. Is this a common theme with all headerless/RAW music?

All I know is that it has to be downgraded from the original CDDA somehow - ripping it from an original CD results in a 551Mb WAVE file. Still, does this whole CDDA.SOU business mean that any audio data can effectively have its extension renamed to SOU and work, provided that the application is programmed to read it in that manner?

I'd love to make a size comparison between this file and a FLAC rip of the CDDA track at some point.

• 2 years later...

Archived