Home

Les Paul RIP

Negative Sun

Everybody's mentioning the guitars (which do kick ass), but has anyone here ever listened to his music? His style may not be your thing, as it hails from before the days of rock, but there's no denying that the man was a god on guitar.

RIP. :(

Everybody's mentioning the guitars (which do kick ass), but has anyone here ever listened to his music? His style may not be your thing, as it hails from before the days of rock, but there's no denying that the man was a god on guitar.

Definitely...he is definitely in the same category with some of the best guitarist of all time. Once upon a time I took some lessons (not much ever came of them) and my teacher had me listen to him, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and a couple others.

yessir a friend of mine was actually lucky enough to see him live. during one of the songs he just picked on the e string during one of his solos and made fun of audience members/his band, which is one of the reasons i will miss him.

I heard him on a WGN radio interview a couple months back and he'd just gotten out of the hospital that evening, but he still wanted to talk to the hosts about music. He also was still playing at a club up until he developed the pneumonia that led to his demise. Can you imagine going to a club to see a 94 year old virtuoso play the guitar. Talk about loving music and performing. :)

RIP, Les Paul

Damn. Well, 94 is a good rounded age to go kaput. You will be missed.

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson.aspx

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Chrisdesign_LP_Guitar_black.jpg

Show spoiler

RoHS-Compliant-Electric-Guitar-Les-Paul-Style-.jpg

Show spoiler
rhonda-watson-les-paul-guitar-jp.jpg

Ironically, I have a '68 Voxton guitar (somewhere in that nightmare storage of mine) which is a cheap knock off of that style--albeit a good one. Don't play anymore, not that I ever did too much besides simple rock riffs and a couple other styles. Mostly on my basses on top of that.

Anywhoo, Y'know, if there was not rock or VG music, I'd probably listen to his music. Actually not sure what I'd listen to TBH. But his skill was undeniable.

So, I was listening to Sirius radio on my drive today, and by chance caught a duet with Jimmy Buffet and Les Paul from the Iridium Club in NY from 2006. They sang Margaritaville (well, Jimmy sang, but Les was playing guitar.) and there was some friendly banter between the two as well. It was pretty cool.

Archived