Home

Fan Friday, August 14, '09

Hallucination

Hey folks, it's Friday, and you know what that means: it's time for me to inflate my post count with official 'news' because my ego demands it.

To sum it up, the smuggler fans on the forums have made a Smuggler and Skilled Criminal's Union Local 69 Smuggler's Alliance and have now released 3 potential logos which are surprisingly well done. I'm still trying to figure out how competing criminals decided to make an alliance, but it's not my place to judge.

In other things the community has been doing, there is now a fan-made radioplay (podcastplay?) and video series being produced. There is also a thread of Star Wars themed ascii art.

On the poll side of things, Bioware has proposed a what-if? situation for the playerbase to vote on. I'd personally tell teach the captain how to love again. With my lightsabre.* Apparently the poll is a lead in to next week's update, which will apparently involve a video.

And finally, Bioware has released a new wave of avatars for their forums, including what looks like a rakghoul standing up. It looks like an albino Venom from Spiderman.

*That was unintended. Seriously

The names of the creatures with the new icons are probably a clue to what we'll see in TOR. The Rakghoul looking thing's filename is named Nekghoul. The albino worm is a Bormu. Plus the old recognizable standbys of Acklay, Wampa, Taun Taun, and "Bull Reek"(as the filename says).

The Nekghoul and Bormu are new, as is the designation of the familiar Reek from AotC as a bull. That could imply the Reek cows look different, and possibly appear in the game, distinct from the bulls.

I'm curious about the Nekghoul. With Taris slagged(and possibly being rebuilt in TOR), what distinguishes the Nekghoul from the Rakghoul? Did the Rakghoul virus mutate and travel off-world? With the screenshot mentioning Taris being rebuilt, perhaps we'll see the Rakghoul/Nekghoul virus reign its ugly head again, hindering Taris' reconstruction efforts.

IIRC from reading Wookieepedia, the rakghouls are actually magic Sith monsters (Taris' group were probably a handful of them who were left to roam free/evaded slaughter), so maybe the Sith are making nekghouls (maybe a new type, maybe just a new name) in their spare time.

As for the Bull Reek, in most games 'Bull' will simply denote a stronger version of the non-bulls.

That's correct - they were created by Karness Muur (ancient Sith Lord from about 7,000 BBY). They were meant to be an army he could control to rule the galaxy.

Thanks for pointing out the nekghouls - I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. I am intrigued by their existence, and I think Hallucination has a good idea on the Sith being behind it.

Archived