Home

I've been wondering lately, is it just me?

Tobias Reiper

Or do the rest of you get ridiculously violent urges too?

I think it might be because I have an anger problem, but every time I even look at someone I think about the best way to beat them, be it by smacking them it the face, stealing the one hand ten pound weight thing they're holding and smashing their face with it, or something else, I can't help but think about it.

And that's not the bad part, the bad part is I almost do it.

Almost.

Only my self-restraint keeps me from it, but even then, I dunno if that could last:

So I guess I have to ask, is there a way to curve my urges?

erm...maybe consult a doctor for proper advice?

I actually did consult one a couple years back, and they attributed it to either depression or anger, and suggested punching a pillow or taking pills or something.

Neither of them worked, but I was kinda cheerier with the pills.

EDIT:

I think I should mention these urges have been going on for about ten years now, but only started to worsen in the last 3 years.

no offense...but this is really not the place to seek medical/psychological advice. While we do have a couple of folks here that are in the medical field I would think that making an appointment with a psychologist, psychiatrist, or MD would be your best bet. Especially if you believe things are getting worse...I would make an appointment before you potentially hurt someone or yourself.

i want to punch this thread (because it is terrible)

realtalk you're like 12 your punches are like closed handed slaps go take a nap or something

What makes you think I'm twelve?

Cause unless 1983 translates into 1996 nowadays and I didn't hear about it or I suddenly de-aged somehow and haven't noticed yet, you're wrong.

But anyway, @Lynk:

Hahahaha

No.

Or do the rest of you get ridiculously violent urges too?

I think it might be because I have an anger problem, but every time I even look at someone I think about the best way to beat them, be it by smacking them it the face, stealing the one hand ten pound weight thing they're holding and smashing their face with it, or something else, I can't help but think about it.

And that's not the bad part, the bad part is I almost do it.

Almost.

Only my self-restraint keeps me from it, but even then, I dunno if that could last:

So I guess I have to ask, is there a way to curve my urges?

Hmmm, I sense the darkside within you. Let go of your anger!

If these people did something to you to actually warrant these urges to be violent towards them, then you're normal.

If they didn't and you just want to hurt them for the fun of it, then you're a sick puppy and you need to be put down before you become a serial killer.

I'm not even angry when I have them, though.

So what's the intent? Are you like a 10th degree blackbelt wanting to show off, or are you genetically programed to be violent?

The only thing I could figure out that would answer your question as to why you have violent thoughts is because it comes at an instinctual level. If you encounter it, play video games, have no other source of mental stimulation... any of these apply to you?

no offense...but this is really not the place to seek medical/psychological advice. While we do have a couple of folks here that are in the medical field I would think that making an appointment with a psychologist, psychiatrist, or MD would be your best bet. Especially if you believe things are getting worse...I would make an appointment before you potentially hurt someone or yourself.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

We can't give you medical advice here, other than suggesting that seeking advice for this on a Star Wars forum instead of professional help is probably not the wisest thing in the world. Please talk to your school counselor or medical doctor about it. It sounds to me like you've already been diagnosed with a medical condition, and if it's worsening, it means you need to get an updated medical evaluation for it.

If these people did something to you to actually warrant these urges to be violent towards them, then you're normal.

If they didn't and you just want to hurt them for the fun of it, then you're a sick puppy and you need to be put down before you become a serial killer.

Says Evil Q ? :p

On Topic: I get this sometimes but if you get it with pretty much everyone I suggest seeing a doctor and pointing out that you tried pills and punching a pillow

Agreed that being a hermit beats the pill racket, but that's just me, because someone has to go out of their way to make me very angry before I feel any desire to crush their skull.

@TR: You feel no passion behind these urges at all? They just come out of nowhere with no external stimuli causing them? That's unusual and rather disturbing. Maybe you do need the pills. :p

Don't feed into it. That is critical.

Even those who "talk about it" and share everything never seem to get better until they stop feeding into it. So it is with silent people.

Hitting objects that can't "fight back" doesn't do anything but amp you up even more to go out and hurt someone. I'd suggest if the doctors presrcibe you MUST hit things, you hit something that isn't flimsy like a pillow--because then you only want to go out and hit people or things you might regret breaking.

Suggestions:

1) a martial arts foam dummy. Good opportunity to learn how to focus your anger and perfect your technique (it has more resilience than you ever will and you'll end up making yourself tired)--it's expensive but in the long run it's cheaper if you consider consequences for your actions.

2) hit something breakable but very hard. Like old oak wood from housing demolition. It'll leave you bloody-possibly jacked up hands, but that's the point--you're only hurting yourself with your outbursts.

3) Boxing trainer bags--you miss it on the rebound and it'll knock you down.

4) Shaolin Kung Fu training sets. Fun, but watch out because this equipment is not padded and it can beat you down BACK similar to boxing stuff but much worse.

Once you associate negative reaction on a primal level, trust me, you'll start looking for constructive outlets for your aggression.

I actually can relate as I have had a bit of an unprovoked anger and aggression problem as well. Keeping an ultimate realization of reality is a vital thing if you are to keep it from turning nasty. The moment you have a disconnect from reality is when you become dangerous.

Learning to live with it is the next step. This is ongoing, you will have problems and setbacks, don't give it up. Every day you do is another victory.

A third optional step would be focusing it to achieve positive results--outside physical actions. --This one is easy to learn, but hard to execute and harder to master. You're on the path to self-mastery when you do this.

Also, even should you take action and be vindicated, or immune to certain consequences...the grass is not greener on the other side. In fact it can be blood red: if not with yours, someone you care about.

OR: You might beat down an @$$^%*# only to realize the guy was an idiot just trying to make it by and feed himself/his family.

If not that, then perhaps maybe that your victory is over some really sad pathetic person and you end up not proud of yourself. Not victory at all, you merely beat down a bum acting like a king.

I think my friend vanir could do a better job than I could at generally relating this kind of stuff, this I've shared is only from my experiences.

Archived