Home

Does the PS3 version of games offer anything extra?

The Seeker

I have been a PS3 owner for about 2 years now. Honestly I can't say it's a bad system. I bought a refurbished 60GB PS3 which thankfully has all the backwards compatibility so I have been blessed with being able to pick up old classics for the PS ONE and PS2 and enjoy them again. The hard drive automatically partitions itself into PS ONE and PS2 storage units so memory cards are totally not necessary. I have been able to play old classics such as Half Life, Silent Hill, X-Files, God of War, God of War 2, Killzone, and The Phantom Menace with no problems at all. In fact there is an upscaler feature which makes the graphics of those old games seem a little less grainy. As far as new games go? Well the only ones that really impressed me so far were Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Killzone 2, Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and INFamous. As far as graphical comparisons between PS3 and 360, I personally feel is all smoke and mirrors. Lets face it. The graphical pinnacle for video games right now is 1080P IF you have an HDTV to display such a thing. In fact if you have a TV that is less than 42" you might as well just leave this thread. Both PS3 and 360 are perfectly capable of running games at 1080P as long as the game itself allows it, and you have the correct connection cables. I am talking about HDMI cables. One good side to the PS3 is that all of the wireless functionality is built in. Yeah it has blu-ray technology which I use on almost a daily basis. The 360, does not have all that stuff packed in and will nickel and dime you to death depending on what you want to do. If you have a wireless internet connection, you have to spend $99.99 on a ****ing antenna which I feel is absolute corporate bull****. If you are lucky like I was, you can snag a used one from GameStop for $69.99. Also the fail rate on a 360 will never be forgiven. At one point I was sending out about 50% of the xbox 360s I sold to the warehouse due to the red ring of death issue. At one point the red ring of death issue was so out of control, that GameStop ceased giving out extended warranties for that system. Sad right? When the 360 works, it is an amazing piece of entertainment for anyone of any age. However even I am on my second 360, while my PS3 chugs along just fine. The downside to PS3....updates....constantly. When you update your 360 it is very fast and simple. When your ps3 updates you must first download the update which takes waaaaaaaaaaay too long. Then you have to go and select and install it. It is a royal pain in the ass. Metal Gear Solid 4 had about a half hour of install time before i could play the damn game. I fell asleep and forgot about it...

Moral of the story, neither machine is better than the other. I always tell my customers, to look at the games in the library for each system and make your decision based on that.

Archived