Home

The PS3 Slim: Worst Kept Gaming Secret?

HK-42

I am so glad I got mine a few weeks ago. The new slim looks so cheap, It looks like a cheap Chinese replica.
I take great offense! XD :carms:

I prefer the old shiny one with the Spiderman font logo.
If you only got it a few weeks ago you still should have waited, as starting tomorrow since the Slim is at a 299USD price point, they are dropping the price of the current models to match that. Though I do not know how much a savings that would be in the European countries.

Anyway, I am largely in favor of this announcement, new model and a price drop. I know a lot of people were on the fence waiting for this announcement so hopefully it will mean a lot of newcomers to the PS3 *points at Jeff*. Hopefully this will also mean lots more people to play LittleBIGPlanet with! The GOTY edition rolls out soon, coming with a bunch of DLC packed in and user-commissioned levels from 18 users. Also announced today but taking a back seat to the Slim and PSP announcements, LBP is getting ****ing WATER, gonna be epic.

Speaking of the PSP though, it's good to see Sony taking a more aggressive stance with their handheld system versus years past, where they basically said... "here it is, hack it." Today they announced "miniS" which is basically going to be like the Apple App store of the PSP. They also announced "Digital Reader" which is going to offer comics for download, with over 1,000 Marvel comics at launch, whenever that is. It's just nice to see that Sony is doing a lot to try and back up the release of the PSPgo with content. Speaking of which, in Europe, early adopters of the PSPgo will get a free digital copy of the new Gran Turismo PSP game, that's huge considering the market that exists for Gran Turismo in Europe. More exciting for me, Persona 3 is going to see a release for the PSP with a slew of new content. :)

All in all, I think today was a great day for Sony announcements.

Wasn't the PSP Go the worst kept secret? :p Sony is not good at keeping secrets.

But this is the first Sony announcement I have good things to say about in a long while. I was definitely hoping it would be announced today and I'll probably end up picking one up some time before the end of the year. For me the price cut was most important, but I'm liking the new model as well.

^ Heh, weren't there rumors a while back that Microsoft was scheming about trying to put together a handheld?

I don't like the look of the slim anymore or less than the regular PS3, all I know is I'm still trying to whip up the courage to drop big money for one. There are definitely games I want to play on the PS3, but even 300 bucks makes me second guess whether it's really worth it.

I want to see if microsoft has anything good.
Not sure if it's "official" yet, but they are stopping production of the Pro model and price cutting the Elite by $100 (but removing the HDMI cable from the deal). So this price cut was essential for Sony, otherwise they'd be stuck with their cheapest console at $400 and Microsoft not even have one that expensive.

I don't like the look of the slim anymore or less than the regular PS3, all I know is I'm still trying to whip up the courage to drop big money for one. There are definitely games I want to play on the PS3, but even 300 bucks makes me second guess whether it's really worth it.
I would argue that what you get with a PS3 at $300 is a freaking steal. I could go on some long-winded rant about why, but I'm too lazy.

I would argue that what you get with a PS3 at $300 is a freaking steal. I could go on some long-winded rant about why, but I'm too lazy.

A PS3 for $300 is a 10 lb brick with a power cord and a controller. I have a handful of games on my to-do list to go with that. It makes my wallet hurt. And we use Sony test kits at work all the time, I'm well aware of what I'm getting and not getting for my money. I'd go into a rant about how you were going to go into a rant about PS3 being worth the money but I'm even lazier than you are. And so this thread remains free of the plague of the fanboy wars for... heck I don't know... at least another post or two.

If you only got it a few weeks ago you still should have waited, as starting tomorrow since the Slim is at a 299USD price point, they are dropping the price of the current models to match that. Though I do not know how much a savings that would be in the European countries.

Would have saved me about 50 euros. (About 35-40 US dollars).

And so this thread remains free of the plague of the fanboy wars for... heck I don't know... at least another post or two.
I never implied that you don't get your money's worth with the other consoles. I was simply stating that at $300 USD you get your money's worth with the PS3. I fail to see how that exudes "fanboyism," but I digress, value is always perceived, so if you don't perceive it as worth your money, there's no point in trying to convince you otherwise.

Would have saved me about 50 euros. (About 35-40 US dollars).
That's not too much of a big deal then I guess.

All three consoles this generation are too expensive :carms:
Aside from the fact that it hasn't had a price cut, I hardly think the Wii is overpriced, when you consider the fact that if Wii Sports was a normal retail game they'd charge $50 for it most likely. PS3 was far overpriced at launch though, and I believe 360 was $399 at launch which is a lot as well.

I don't see how anyone can say the PS3 is still too expensive though. Whether you are personally interested in it's exclusive titles or not, you can't deny that MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted have received widespread praise and are among this generations best efforts. At $400, I didn't think these few exclusives were worth it when I could already get all multiplatform games on 360, but especially if you don't already have a current-gen console (or the Wii) the PS3 is hardly overpriced.

God I hate it when I defend the PS3.

you can't deny that MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted have received widespread praise and are among this generations best efforts.
You forgot Valkyria Chronicles, that game is the Okami of this "generation" of consoles, if you don't know what Okami is, then my point has been proven. Oh and nevermind the fact that Okami was ported to Wii, that little fact is not important. :p

@ Jeff: Wii was overpriced at launch with or without Wii Sports. Especially down here in Australia.
I don't know how much it was in Australia, but no one can reasonably say it is overpriced in America when consoles last gen launched for more than the Wii costs.

@ Jeff: Yeah, I guess the GCN and Wii were the same price at launch if you remove Wii Sports (GCN launced at 199USD, Wii launched at 249USD)... at least in the US. Was different in Australia though, Wii was overpriced and everyone knew it.

Also, games down here used to be overpriced for Wii, but now they lowered the price. As for 360 and PS3 games, I refuse to pay more than 100AUD for them.

As for the slim... meh @ no ps2... wish sony wouldn't keep doing that.

Archived