Home

Fable III

Spadille

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are moving into a new Fable kind of fast arent they i mean didnt 2 just come out?

It was released 1 year ago and it's still 1 and a half year untill the third game is coming out and they started making Fable III half way through the second game.

And they're also using the same engine so that should save them some development time as stated earlier.

I think it is a little rediculous to start a game before the preceeding installment is even finished

It's a common practice among video game developers, especially in franchises like this - the story is likely to have been written and planned all at the same time. Mass Effect 2 was being worked on as Mass Effect was in the final stages of development, as was Assassin's Creed 2, and the same has happened with Fable III.

I hope they get rid of the knock out system though, it made the entire game instantly easy, with the only real difficulty fighting enemies was that it could take a while to kill them but you'd end up killing EVERY enemy you cross anyway because you'd just get back up when they knocked you down,with the only comebacks being a random experience deduction that doesn't matter because you don't really need to earn experience in the game due to knock out, and a scar that you really won't care about because you never take off armor so you won't see it.

Plus, oddly, my characters always ended up fat with an unusual skin tone and bright blue tatoos.

I hope they get rid of the knock out system though, it made the entire game instantly easy, with the only real difficulty fighting enemies was that it could take a while to kill them but you'd end up killing EVERY enemy you cross anyway because you'd just get back up when they knocked you down,with the only comebacks being a random experience deduction that doesn't matter because you don't really need to earn experience in the game due to knock out, and a scar that you really won't care about because you never take off armor so you won't see it.

Plus, oddly, my characters always ended up fat with an unusual skin tone and bright blue tatoos.

The fat comes from eating food, you can reduce it by eating celeries and the blue tattoos comes from your Will skills

has there ever been a designer in the history of gaming that has promised so much, yet continuously delivered so little as molyneux?

almost every single game he designs he hypes as this great revolutionary leap in gaming, and then he keeps churning out these run of the mill titles. black and white probably the worst offender. promised all this revolutionary AI in a game that would "revolutionise gaming and create a genre unto itself". what we got was a basic god sim clone with horrendous AI that was absolutely bug ridden on release.

the original fable just as bad. would revolutionise rpg gaming blah blah blah. safe to say it didn't. very average game that added nothing new to the genre.

the movies another example. all new, all different blah blah blah... a poor "the sims" knock-off set in a movie studio environment.

you have to go back 20 years to the release of populous for the last time he did something truly innovative that actually lived up to the hype.

has there ever been a designer in the history of gaming that has promised so much, yet continuously delivered so little as molyneux?

almost every single game he designs he hypes as this great revolutionary leap in gaming, and then he keeps churning out these run of the mill titles. black and white probably the worst offender. promised all this revolutionary AI in a game that would "revolutionise gaming and create a genre unto itself". what we got was a basic god sim clone with horrendous AI that was absolutely bug ridden on release.

the original fable just as bad. would revolutionise rpg gaming blah blah blah. safe to say it didn't. very average game that added nothing new to the genre.

the movies another example. all new, all different blah blah blah... a poor "the sims" knock-off set in a movie studio environment.

you have to go back 20 years to the release of populous for the last time he did something truly innovative that actually lived up to the hype.

Just a part of his wisdom ...

While on the whole I enjoyed both Fables, I did feel like it was somehow empty, considering how much had been promised in both games.

The Movies was more of a Tycoon game with elements of The Sims. I liked it, but it failed at its main purpose (as a movie making program) because it was just too limited in its options.

For all his faults, I hope that Fable III might at least deliver on some of the revolutionary promises that are being made this time around.

Dude, it's game developing.

All Game Developers claim the game they make to be a rise to greatness in gaming.

In my opinion the revolutionary games are as follows:

Pong

I, Robot,

Maze War

Dragon Warrior/Adventure

Zombie Zombie

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

And of course (Have to say it so you guys won't bite my toes off)

KotOR I.

• 8 months later...

Sorry don't mean to post in an old thread but I found this searching and thought to post some updates on the game.

WARNING Spoiler content below don't read if you don't want to know.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

http://lionhead.com/

0272.boxartwork2.jpg

New Features:

Peter Molyneux has confirmed that the game will have many new features, including:

* Episodes: There will be 2 episodes featured in the game. The first is to campaign to remove the king from the throne. The second is ruling Albion after you receive the crown.

* Judgements: As ruler of Albion, you will be able to determine if and how to respond to the requests of your citizens, such as punishing criminals.

* Touch: The simple expression system has greatly evolved. Now, "You can shake someone's hand, and then that might turn into a hug. You can then turn that into an embrace, and then into a full-on snog."

*There will be much more far reaching consequences for your actions than in the past two games due to at least part of the game taking place with the character as a monarch.

* Peter Molyneux has stated that it won't just be Albion, but has yet to give more information. Clues from the end of Fable II lead to Reaver and Garth in Samarkand. In the quest The Vision from the DLC See the Future, Theresa clearly states that the unborn child will change the fate of Albion and Aurora. Aurora has since been revealed to be an entirely new setting in Fable III.

* The previous saves from Fable II will be featured in Fable III. This means choices of your old hero will affect your new hero in Fable III. Choices from the two DLCs, Knothole Island and See the Future, will also correlate.

* Co-op impregnation will be possible

At Microsoft's X10 event in San Francisco, Molyneux announced some more new features:

* Weapon Morphing: Depending on your alignment and the way you use the weapons, they will change accordingly. You can then trade your weapon online.

* Dog: Man's best friend will return in the new release and is less well behaved. Your furry companion will now chase rabbits and can also follow scents. In the limited edition it was anounced that there will be a new dog breed; the Boxer.

* RPG Elements: The health bar, experience orbs/XP points and the HUD in general are to be scrapped.

* Aurora: GameSpot report that Aurora is to be a new continent.

* Project Natal: "[Molyneux] stated that Fable III is being designed for the regular Xbox 360 controller first and foremost, but that some Natal surprises are coming."

* Extreme Morphing: An expression that allows the Hero to show their "true character" by sprouting a pair of wings (and horns, if they are evil.) The wings will match the Hero's alignment - if good, they are white and pristine, but if evil, they are darker.

* Example of (good) morality wings, for extreme morphing

Also, wing size is based on the amount of followers your character has. If you have few followers, wing size is small and if you have many followers, wing size is large.

* Fable III will have an improved camera for co-op.

* The ability to use your custom character and dog for co-op.

* Followers: Peter Moleneux has said on varius occasions that there will be a system where players may amass "followers". These followers are used to determine experience, among other things. It has been stated that marriage and doing well in combat will give you followers.

At the Game Developer's Conference, Molyneux' focus was on Fable III's new GUI:

* Interactive Pause Menu: When you pause the game your character will appear in the "Guild Chambers", a collection of rooms from which you can do everything you could normally do in the traditional menu.

* Map Room: The Chambers will feature a fully interactive map of Albion and Aurora which can be zoomed in on, allowing for manipulation of troops and tactical strategising for battles.

* Wardrobe: A room in the Chambers containing all your clothes, some on display mannequins.

* Armoury: A chamber containing all your weapons.

* Treasury: Instead of a number telling you how much gold you have, you will be able to enter this room to see, and pick up, your gold reserves.

* Butler: You will have your own butler, named Jasper, in the Guild Chambers. He will make clothing and weaponry recommendations based on your current situation, and will be voiced by John Cleese.

Limited Collector's Edition

3201.lcef3.jpg

Limited Collector’s Edition Includes Unique Memorabilia and Unlocks Additional In-Game Action

Lead a rebellion, start a revolution, and rule a kingdom in “Fable III”. Microsoft Game Studios and Lionhead Studios present the thrilling new chapter in the “Fable” franchise exclusively on Xbox 360 and Windows. Action, drama, adventure and humor propel the story as players choose their journey to become King or Queen of Albion.

“Fable III” will be available in Standard and Limited Collector’s Editions for Xbox 360. The Standard Edition will retail for $59.99/£44.99/€64.99, while the Limited Collector’s Edition will retail for $79.99/£59.99/€84.99. The Windows version will retail for $49.99/£39.99/€54.99, and will also be available for download exclusively on Games on Demand on Games for Windows – LIVE.

The Limited Collector’s Edition also offers unique collectibles that true “Fable” fans won’t want to miss, including downloadable content, also available for Windows users, as well as in-box items that come with the Xbox 360 version. Wrapped up in a distinctive box created in the likeness of a book from “Fable III,” the contents include:

· A new quest: Uncover the mystery of the haunted forests of Silverpines and earn the legendary sword, Wolfsbane, deadly against wolves and balverines.

· Exclusive location: Unlock a new region, ideal for settling down with a family and discovering new treasures.

· “Fable III” playing cards: Created by Lionhead, these cards depict every type of character in “Fable III,” including Heroes, royals, rebels and villains from across Albion and beyond.

· Guild Seal Coin: The coin features a Good side (blue) and Evil side (red) to assist players in making critical decisions that will impact the fate of the world forever.

· A new dog breed: Renowned for its loyalty, the Boxer is a brave canine companion worthy of greatest Queens and Kings.

· One unique outfit: Unearth one male and female outfit from the mysterious, faraway land of Aurora, a new destination in your “Fable III” adventures.

“Fable III” sets the stage for an unparalleled action and adventure experience, in which you will be called upon to rise from revolutionary to ruler of Albion. The choices and sacrifices you make while fanning the flames of revolution, and then as you rule as King or Queen, will lead to an ever evolving world of consequences that will be felt across your entire land.

“Fable III” is not yet rated by the ESRB.

Confirmed Voice Actors:

Confirmed voice actors are Simon Pegg, Stephen Fry (resuming his role as Reaver), John Cleese (playing your butler Jasper who also appears in the pause menu) and Sir Ben Kingsley (playing as a wizard known as King of Mist Peak)

Peter Molyneux is a man with a dream too big to put on paper. I think he is actually very earnest in his desire to build exactly what he claims, but time and budget always end up hindering him.

Hell, if I had to choose 1 developer to give unlimited time and money to (like Hideo Kojima got for MGS4), it would be Molyneux. The man has vision.

Until then, however, I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth till I sit down and play the game myself.

Archived