Home

Guild Wars 2

stoffe

Looks like Arena.net and NCSoft have finally decided to give a sneak peek at Guild Wars 2. Got a trailer up at the Guild Wars 2 site:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

It's a little cheesy, but the first official word of this game as far as I know. Seems to include a fair number of in-game snapshots too. Some interesting environments there and pretty nice graphics. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big plus in my book is that Guild Wars 2 will, like its predecessor (which I haven't played), not have any subscription fees. That alone might be enough to persuade me to eventually try an MMO (or should I say "that MMO"). The nice looking graphics don't hurt its chances either.

I usually prefer human-looking species, so my first character if I get Guild Wars 2 would probably be a human or Norn. If I get as attached to that game as GW1 though I'll likely try them all out eventually. :)

Judging by the evidence seen in the trailer the species seem to have unique traits roughly like:

• Humans:
    Medival sword & sorcery.

• Asura:
    Magic-powered technology, golems, portals etc.

• Charr:
    Steam-punk, crude industrial technology. Primitive explosives and firearms?

• Norn:
    No clear impression, but probably similar to GW1, barbarian-ish independent, mostly physical might and shamanistic rituals, and not so much tech or magic.

• Sylvari:
    Druid-ish, nature magic, organic "technology".

Damn.

Cataclysm, ToR, now Guild Wars 2 (which was my first MMO..cool guild with high school friends)...which one do I pick? :(

Looks very, very good though...although I stopped playing GW for a year now. Might have to revisit my characters some time soon...

• 8 months later...

Seems like Guild Wars 2 is getting close enough to release that they are finally releasing some real information about the game now.

Apparently there will be 8 professions/classes, some returning ones from Guild Wars 1 and some new ones. First in the spotlight is the Elementalist, which seems to play a bit differently this time around:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/elementalist/

AreaNet has also started a series of articles that explains the various aspects of the game and how they differ from the prequel:

1. Skills and combat
  2. Weapons, professions and racial abilities

While not directly related to Guild Wars 2 they've also started a series of Guild Wars Beyond events in GW1 that is supposed to fill in some of the story and pivotal events in the story between GW and GW2.

This page describes some of these in-game events from an NPC's point of view:

http://www.guildwars.com/warinkryta/

This wiki page summarizes some of the on-going events and game changes:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/War_in_Kryta

• 3 months later...

I thought this topic could use an update. Some significant info has turned up in the last few months.

We've got an article on Traits:

At a basic level, traits make you better at what you choose to do. You slot traits in order to modify skills and attributes. Once you have mastered a handful of traits they become a key component in creating your overall build.

Then there's a very interesting one on healing and death:

Rather than being presented with immediate failure, when a player loses all of their health in Guild Wars 2, they are put into "downed mode." In this mode, the player has a number of downed skills they can use to target enemies and fight for a chance to survive. A downed player can still be attacked, which will send them into a defeated state, leaving them to either wait for an ally to resurrect them or to resurrect at a waypoint.

And two "new" classes have been revealed, the Warrior and the Ranger.

Accompanying the articles are new screenshots which do look nice in my opinion, though I'm still seeing those faces from Guild Wars that were also in lesser known Korean MMO's.

• 5 months later...

A new profession has been announced: the Guardian. Essentially, it can be compared to the role of a Paladin in other MMO's, and comes closest to the Monk in the original Guild Wars. These days, however, MMO developers try new things with healing classes, trying to address the problems that a strictly healing class have posed. The Guardian offers a solution by essentially making him/her the Warrior/Monk combination, setting its healing skills to optional and focusing more on Wards and Spirit Weapons.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.) The above video is obviously dramatized, but is in-engine and shows some great skills.

In any case, it seems most Guild Wars veteran players are waiting for a Mesmer class announcement, which is understandable, of course. The Mesmer was loads of fun to play and a valued asset in PvP.

• 1 year later...

First Open Beta weekend of Guild Wars 2 this weekend. Seems like we're finally getting closer to release. Will be exciting to see if the game is as good as it seems it will be. :)

Anyone else around here who are going to play it?

Are pre-release game open beta's a new marketing fashion or is it a pretty old idea? I don't remember them happening often but SWTOR and Diablo 3 had one. Now GW2 is joinin' em.

Seems to be pretty standard for MMOs similar online games with many players, and has been for years, from what I've seen.

It's hard to internally stress test games intended to handle hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of players simultaneously, and it would be too expensive to hire people to do it. So they bring in the hordes of hyped-up fans who are all too eager to do it for free. :)

Not going to play the beta, would be too much on my plate right now. But I'm looking forward to all the opinions on it. I hope the things they promised really work in practice. :)

I picked up a pre-purchase copy so I'll try out the beta this weekend if nothing unexpected happens. I'll try to remember to post my impressions here. :)

Getting ready to jump in soon, just waiting for the installer to finish updating. Anyone not sure about this game should watch the Yogscast videos, they are great.

The login server seems to have crashed already. Seems like they underestimated the onslaught of over-eager fans. :)

Hope they fix it soon.

The login server seems to have crashed already. Seems like they underestimated the onslaught of over-eager fans. :)

Hope they fix it soon.

Seems the forums are down too. I don't really know if I'm downloading an update or just downloading the whole thing again either because there is no indicator to inform either way. I downloaded it all yesterday so I'm hoping this is just an update, but it's strange because it doesn't seem to be actually installing anything on my pc. I don't get it.

Archived