Home

Guild Wars 2

stoffe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any preference in class you'd try out first, stoffe (whenever you get the game to start :p)? I'm most interested in the Engineer, I'm curious to see how it works with and against other classes. A Charr Engineer would probably my first pick.

I've been playing as a Norn elementalist so far, exploring the lower level areas of Norn, Human and Charr lands. Pretty much a glass cannon since elementalists are hopelessly fragile and die immediately if they come under attack, but do decent damage against bunches of enemies. I think this is the game I've died the most in, ever, so far. Maybe will improve once I get more used to the combat system, but I still hope they tweak the combat difficulty before release because in some places/events it's more frustrating than fun.

Charr engineers seem to be a popular pick, lots of people in the Charr area had that profession. Hard to tell how well they were doing though in the chaos of battle.

Only few hours left to play before the beta is over now. :)

I played as a Human Ranger and didn't die nearly as much as Stoffe did, but I think that is mainly as my pet keeps enemies at bay and if it dies I just run away leaving a trap in my wake to slow them down. I could easily handle 2-3 enemies on my own, but more than that and I was definately struggling. I plan on playing as a Norn as my main when the game is finally released, and I'll be giving that one a go in the next beta.

I had a great time in the 10 of so hours I played it, and I'm glad I pre-ordered now. At one point a group of us had all done a dynamic event chain of events together and we were in the swamp when all of a sudden a HUGE, and I mean HUUUUGE swamp beast demon thing that took up the whole screen suddenly came out of nowhere. I think we were all in shock but proceeded to start taking it down. There was a lot of dodging and killing spawned enemies and it took about 20 minutes to kill it. At the end there was a huge chest in the middle with lots of good items in and a green item (which is good in GW2). We all just stood around chatting in chat about how amazing it was for about 5 mins afterwards. It was just brilliant.

Edit: I found a video of event I'm talking about

I played as a Human Ranger and didn't die nearly as much as Stoffe did, but I think that is mainly as my pet keeps enemies at bay and if it dies I just run away leaving a trap in my wake to slow them down.

Probably my fault for picking such a fragile profession that I died so much. Elementalists are pretty much glass cannons, they can do decent damage to groups of enemies, but can't take any beating at all themselves.

Still, after getting up in level a bit and picking up more abilities (including a couple of summons to tank for me briefly) and better gear my death rate slowed down considerably. Sure I still kept dying every now and then, but not so annoyingly often. Maybe me getting more used to the combat system helped too. :)

At one point a group of us had all done a dynamic event chain of events together and we were in the swamp when all of a sudden a HUGE, and I mean HUUUUGE swamp beast demon thing that took up the whole screen suddenly came out of nowhere.

I encountered the huge Shade in the swamp as well. Looked huge from a distance, but when you get close the scale really becomes apparent with a player not being much larger than a toenail by comparison (if a Shade had any). Took a few screenshots of the fight too.

Overall I'm impressed by the game. Environments are varied, interesting and often very pretty, with plenty of postcard vistas and interesting places to visit. Quests and events are also varied in scope and tasks. Story is decent as well from what I've seen so far. Perhaps not Bioware-grade storytelling, but it gets the job done of keeping you interested in what's to come and provide a background for what you do. Combat is quite different from the standard MMO or guildwars 1 formulas, which can be fun in some ways and a little frustrating in others. Only done the 1-15 starting areas of the 3 species in the beta, and a part of a 15-25 area. Gotten my Norn elementalist up to level 23 before the beta ended.

The main cities of each species are huge and contain a lot to explore and find on their own. Took me over an hour just to see everything in Lions Arch, and the Black Citadel, Divinity's Reach and Hoelbrak are no less impressive in size.

My main beefs with the game so far is that combat in some areas and during a few of the Events is way too difficult. It's extremely easy to be overwhelmed in those situations, and luck more than skill seem to decide if you survive. Enemies also respawn way too quickly. Sometimes an enemy you killed respawn right behind your back while fighting his buddies.

I expect those things will be tweaked before the next Beta Event though.

A bunch of random screenshots taken by me in various places in the game:

e5T8Ps.jpgwWrpOs.jpgMDTBvs.jpgVpBKzs.jpgfkXBgs.jpgQi7s9s.jpgrnWENs.jpg

gefhZs.jpgqzdqJs.jpgZtVgts.jpgpnjjTs.jpgrjndBs.jpgXk5z2s.jpg

8E9ocs.jpgK9elBs.jpgGGEOTs.jpgzsZs8s.jpg3YfhBs.jpgZt6Wfs.jpg

Xxi53s.jpg0p9LRs.jpgO3Nh8s.jpgvsUUbs.jpgBqGF6s.jpgYSq6Js.jpg

pCSXps.jpgowkNVs.jpgMJ6EGs.jpgmOTtJs.jpgpABJms.jpgkhy1Ls.jpg

wPdF0s.jpgvAXJAs.jpg

Woah, you weren't kidding about the environments - they're gorgeous! I do love a game that has proper attention paid to the surroundings.

One thing that does slightly irritate me about Guild Wars (and quite a few other games like it) is that it suffers badly from ICS - Impractical Clothing Syndrome. WOMEN OF GW! Y U NO WEAR PROPER CLOTHES/ARMOUR?! HOW U STILL HAVE ALL LIMBS?

One thing that does slightly irritate me about Guild Wars (and quite a few other games like it) is that it suffers badly from ICS - Impractical Clothing Syndrome. WOMEN OF GW! Y U NO WEAR PROPER CLOTHES/ARMOUR?! HOW U STILL HAVE ALL LIMBS?

Guild Wars 2 actually has a very wide range of clothing and armor styles. From fully covered to fairly skimpy, from plain to extravagant. So it's mostly up to you how you want your character to look (or what armor or clothing you've been able to obtain so far, this early on).

My character is a Norn though so it's more or less a racial/cultural thing that they run around lightly dressed in the snow and ice. So I tried to outfit her accordingly with the limited means at my disposal this early. Elementalists have paper thin armor anyway so might as well look the part. :)

Oh OK. I had a brief look at the character creation on youtube and it was like 90% skimpy. Mind you it was a Norn character creation so if it's a cultural thing then that makes sense I guess. Hrrrm.

Well yes, if it's character creation what you'd see is the starting gear for each profession and species (also modified by chosen back story I believe). You have to obtain the outfits you want while playing, they don't give you the whole wardrobe from the start. :)

Norns are more or less your typical Northern Viking stereotype, a bit like the Nord in Elder Scrolls (though the Norn are not human, unlike the Nord, depite their appearance). Tall (nearly twice as tall as humans in the case of Norn), unbothered by cold weather and independent-minded. (Unbothered by cold, modesty and personal hygiene, as an Asura remarked in a drive-by conversation :)) With the extra twist that Norn are natural shape shifters that can assume animal form.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
asura.thumb.jpg.5d00a97b886698f7c7d54d3b98ab21ed.jpg

How was GW2?

I'm thinking of picking up for my free to play MMO while swtor will be my Sub one

It was amazing, I loved every second of the beta weekend and I'm so glad I pre-ordered it now. Really looking forward to it's release, I can't wait.

Anyone not sure about this game should watch the Yogscast videos, they are great.

How was GW2?

I'm thinking of picking up for my free to play MMO while swtor will be my Sub one

It was amazing, I loved every second of the beta weekend and I'm so glad I pre-ordered it now. Really looking forward to it's release, I can't wait.

Agreed. It was a lot of fun to play, and the world is amazing in its detail, variety and polish, with nice little touches and secrets here and there that really rewards exploring. With all the events and heart quests going on everywhere there was always something to do as well when needing some variety from just exploring. A bit early to judge the storyline from what was available, but so far it was decent (the branch of it I ended up on at least as a Norn favored by Wolf with the Revenge backstory).

Combat will probably take a while to get used to and fully grasp the details of since it was quite different from Guild Wars 1. For the most part it was fun and challenging even with my total newbie bumblings, if a bit too difficult in some spots.

While it was still a little rough around some corners with a few things in need of tweaking, that's what beta testing is for. I expect many of those issues have been adressed by the next beta weekend. :)

• 1 month later...

The release date for Guild Wars 2 has now finally been set and announced. 28th of August this year; in two months. Early access starts on 25th of August for those who pre-purchased the game. Hopefully enough time to iron out the last few bugs and oddities and make some needed balancing tweaks, as evidenced by the public beta weekends held so far.

One more Beta Weekend Event has also been announced starting 20th of July.

• 1 month later...
Hey,

Who will be playing Guild Wars 2 on the NA servers?

I will be playing Guild Wars 2, but most likely on an EU server due to lag issues, and the combat system being somewhat sensitive to lag.

With the Guesting system it won't really matter what your home server is though except for PvP, since you can hop onto another server and play with your friends there whenever you wish.

I'm thinking of buying this game, which won't exactly be a first for me since I got GW1. However, I'm much more careful with my vidya purchases ever since I was disappointed by DA2 and the ending to ME3 (DLC be condemned to perdition!) If I do get GW2, I'm going to create a Sylvari Guardian who wears Conqueror's Pauldrons. I figure that since Sylvari are "druid-ish" and more likely to be Rangers or Elementalists, I'll take the path less traveled. :)

If I do get GW2, I'm going to create a Sylvari Guardian who wears Conqueror's Pauldrons. I figure that since Sylvari are "druid-ish" and more likely to be Rangers or Elementalists, I'll take the path less traveled. :)

My Sylvari necromancer:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
0YcVD.jpg

Sylvari are kind of noble (if somewhat naive) so if you want to see guardians as knight/paladin types (which they aren't quite) it might be a decent match. :)

Archived