Home

TOR demo videos

Endorenna

Meh...

Although I expected it from BioWare, the voices and the lines still make me shudder. Some of the writing in that video is awful, if I'm honest.

The words coming out of those two developers' mouths made me shudder even more... particularly when they praised the game for its great dialog and gameplay :xp:

Anyway, this is going to be filled with Star Wars nerds of all ages: a sight that any sane person would do well to avoid. :¬:

Makes me want to start modding KotOR and TSL again just to wash the utter sinfully badness of that away!

Did anybody watch the health of the PC's throughout that video? The guy was taking next to no DAMAGE! While dealing out ludicrous amounts of damage!

That's seriously screwed up.

No go for me...can't even watch the videos. The only time I really have left to play online games is when I travel to remote locations with 5kb/s or so internet access.

What got me into K1 is that it was a good SP RPG game...no good offline SP mode = no purchase from me....and these times, PC gaming is all about online gaming which is basically the end of PC gaming for me.

Did anybody watch the health of the PC's throughout that video? The guy was taking next to no DAMAGE! While dealing out ludicrous amounts of damage!
They probably have it set to Ridiculously Easy™ difficulty (I.E. God mode) for presentation purposes, but yeah, it doesn't exactly send good vibes, though. Still, everyone in the industry uses this loophole for presentation, though, so it's not exactly a big argument.
What got me into K1 is that it was a good SP RPG game...no good offline SP mode = no purchase from me....and these times, PC gaming is all about online gaming which is basically the end of PC gaming for me.
Unfortunately, I fear that you are correct. I'm hoping for a game development "depression" or a "crash", similar to what happened in '83. With so much MMO and general gaming competition on the market, and with most of them going belly-up within a few months, I wouldn't be surprised if more bankruptcies occur, and that might bring about greater quality assurance throughout the industry as a whole.

I've seen these videos. From what I can tell, they really are hyping it up by making a huge deal out of the voice overs, and cover system. IMO, they didn't add any new or revolutionary gameplay system here. Just a few ripped off Galaxy and WoW aspects. Also the dialogue, and walking animations are laughable. :D

Ug, I just pretty much lost faith in TOR. I hate 1-0 combat. That's why I don't play many MMOs.

Agreed, which is why I love DDO... FPS style combat... and the 1-0 combat kiddies have real trouble playing it! :lol: Though we have had some come over from like WOW and adapt real well and are really good players and people.

Just to be able to jump, and in the middle of the jump, dump a fireball on the mobs is just too good to go anywhere else. Or to actually have to use your skills to do the ranger circle of death with kiting a mob is also just a blast.

Too bad about TOR, oh well another Star Wars MMO that I can't play... :(

I'm not entirely pleased. The attitude that was shown, essentially 'Kill kill kill!' (yes, I realize that the views we were shown was mainly Dark Side, but even still, it appeared as though you had no choice other than to slash and shoot), and had no other options. *shrugs*

Also, the dialogue choices disappointed me greatly. I saw relatively little differences per conversation, and then the clips praised the 'extensive dialogue and fun choices.' The voice acting was decent, but that's nothing if the options are goushi.

In this particular demo, they chose the kill path, but when the same demo (minus Sith Warrior starting area) was shown at E3, I got to see both dialog options for saving and killing the captain. The following dialog was completely different and how things played out were different, but it lead to the same end: Jedi boarding the ship and killing them. The big deal about this is how it effects you down the road. The second quote in that post talks about people remembering you killed the captain many levels later.

This looks like a little kiddie game. :(
You seem very well informed about this game. :rolleyes:

Also, I don't get what the big deal about the bad dialog is. Every game has its fair share of cringe-worthy lines and I would say "The captain's dead!" was this demo's terrible line but overall I thought it was fine.

In this particular demo, they chose the kill path, but when the same demo (minus Sith Warrior starting area) was shown at E3, I got to see both dialog options for saving and killing the captain.
If I'm seeing it correctly, it's not that the demo ended in a combat crawl, but the fact that it ended in a very linear, one-way melee. It would have been much better to see other alternative "methods" for combat instead of resorting to personal combat, i.e. organizing battle squadrons, maintaining turret and forcefield defenses, a la the battles of Onderon and Khoonda in K2.
Also, I don't get what the big deal about the bad dialog is. Every game has its fair share of cringe-worthy lines and I would say "The captain's dead!" was this demo's terrible line but overall I thought it was fine.
BioWare is actively drumming up hype for the dialogue and the voice-acting, as if it's something truly astronomical in quality, and quantity. While this seems like a reputable marketing strategy, I've seen nothing that supports the claim, and much of quite the opposite, even by BioWare's standards.

Archived