Home

20 minutes of gameplay footage at IGN

News

As promised by Bioware, today we get to see 20 minutes of pure in-game action, featuring the Bounty Hunter, the Smuggler, and the recently announced Sith Warrior. The video also features most of the flashpoint event shown at E3. The 20 minutes of gameplay is split up into 4 smaller 5 minute videos which play one [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

The dialogue... it is awful (Even by BioWare's standards), both in execution and content. I can't really see how the choices would make any real difference; even if all of choices are to be considered as flavor, most of the others didn't really seem to have any difference whatsoever, at first glance.

Lines that deserve mention:

"The captain's dead! The captain's... dead. :ball:"

"Cooperate... or die"

I still can't figure out combat; is it purely RTwP, and if so, where is the "restriction" for abilities and movement? AFAIK, it looks like a turn-less system, but with no other penalty.

The Korriban part was verily dull; I don't want "Purge [insert enemies here] from [insert location here]" quests; they're not fun, interesting, or any of the like, and are only based on powergrinding. Plus, the Tomb of Ajnuta Pall... doesn't look like the Tomb of Ajunta Pall, at all. :¬:

The Sith Warship ended up as another grindfest. IMO, they could've taken it to greater strategic levels by organizing defenses and security levels; that would've provided greater role-playing and strategy, rather than simply going alone and killing everything via direct combat.

In short, my already low expectations dropped dramatically.

I did have a long post about the first two videos commenting more in detail, but that got wiped out, so here's this one instead. :/

Dialogue is vile - "Hey indeed!", etc.; special abilities seem mostly to be feats pillaged from K1, the plot seems largely to be pillaged from the films even more blatantly than K1's was a homage, the VO is terrible, dialogue choices seem to be non-existent, but hidden behind the dialogue wheel system just in case, so you can't tell that all the options are exactly the same.

The indication of what the quests consist of would seem to be standard MMO fare - fedexes, grinding/raids and collect ten rancor pelts - interspersed with Bioware's worst cutscenes ever. (Just what does "cinematic animation acting" or whatever the guy said in part 1 mean?).

Consequences, despite the hyping, sound superficial and have no impact on the story progression.

The idea that Dark Side points affect your character progression is also laughable.

"Heroic combat" seems to be the code-phrase for "hideously unbalanced". The sparking from lightsaber combat is absurd, and actually obscures what's going on.

The story looks vile, and confirms my suspicions: chock-full of gimmicks, and typical MMO stuff like grinding beyond belief interspersed with horrible, horrible dialogue.

The fact that they have to hype the voice-acting so much also is probably not a good sign.

By looking at the examples given by the developers in the video, and Bioware's track record.

Possibly, the big impact appears forward on the story. The fact is that we still know so few about this game that we can't judge the game by a couple of videos.

Possibly, the big impact appears forward on the story. The fact is that we still know so few about this game that we can't judge the game by a couple of videos.

Perhaps, but this is an MMO and by Bioware, and if they had included such consequences they would have hyped that, rather than talking so much about "cinematic" elements and the voice acting.

I'm watching the videos as I type, so prepare for bullet-like comments.

"Anyway, all of (our) conversations are going to be like that: great dialogue and compelling choices." >_>

Also, I need to feel like a Star Wars Hero™.

An astounding replication of a Hammerhead. Truly, I am mesmerized by its realism and pretty flashy turbolasers. On a side note, why is the symbol used for the Empire (regular Star Wars one) being used 4,000 years earlier?

Crowd control. Crowd control. Crowd control. Is there any other way to say 'Harm lotsa people quickly?' Crowd control.

[/twenty minutes later] Finally finished. The combat was decent, nothing to be drooling over, but it was poor, either. The working together part was interesting, but not enough to make me go out and buy the game.

For starters, I was deeply annoyed by the lack of 'consoles' in the scenes, particularly the ship. I remember, in both games, there were always a few consoles around that you could slice, blowing up enemies behind doors, gassing a room, or even turning droids to your sides. Here, it as 'Kill kill kill!'

Perhaps I'm just being too harsh on the game, but, as of right now, I'm harboring serious doubts.

Well after seeing that video i can say that i wont get this game though already I was having serious doubts. The animation for walking looks hideous and the wave emote looks quite honestly retarded. Besides that there was no challenge at all i love how they said you had to use team work on that last fight but tbh the sith could have taken on that jedi knight with out a problem. And yes the voice acting and dialogue was terrible reminds me of the kids centered clone wars series which i absolutely despise. I was hoping that this would honestly be great but bioware has ruined that hope but I guess it can complain for making it so casual/kid friendly as it seems that all mmorpgs are going that way now (example the new wow expansion).

Christ, everyone seems to be forgetting that this game is still WIP. There's plenty of time for it to be polished up before the final release.

Sure, the dialogue isn't perfect, but as they say, this is the first fully-voiced MMO. It's at least better than having no voice at all.

Ok maybe thats not the best example.

But having a 'cinamatic' conversation is alot better then scrolling through 2 paragraphs for the 3 or 4 important words.

kill 20 man-eating rabits.

I'd argue that if you're looking at it like that - indeed, if you're writing it like that, then you're doing it wrong.

movie kinda fails. I understand the game is still far from finished but Bioware is all about showing things when it is of acceptable quality and stuff. so this doesn't give me much hope. The graphics are still off, the animations are bad, the VO work is hilariously poor. Bad feeling..... :¬:

I think its a too early to be jumping the bandwagon. Like a few said animations aren't final graphics maybe polished by the time its released. They showed very little of the voice over work.

The walkthrough video is not the current build that they are working on now. Its possible most things could been already improved with the current build they are in.

Archived