Home

Girl fears honor killing for converting to Christianity

Jae Onasi

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541540,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

Actually, one of the biggest questions I had was 'what kind of accident did she have that caused her to lose sight, and was it really an accident?'

This article raised more questions than answers for me, to be honest. Has she been a victim of child abuse at home? Are her parents so strict that they'd actually consider an honor killing? How did she get down to Florida, and is she safe in that pastor's home, too?

After reading the article, my first reaction was one of disbelief that the family might harm their daughter to the point of killing her (religion tends to make people a mite touchy, but to strike down your own daughter?), and then to mild annoyance at Fox for their anti-Islam tirade (or what seemed to me like one) during the article.

That is to say, all of the quotes had to do with 'If she goes back, these people will kill her, just for being Christian.' It makes it seem like Muslims are ferocious savages, which is entirely false.

But, again, that's just my opinion after reading the article. Who knows how much is exaggeration and how much is truth? *shrugs*

I can't make a judgment on this case as I do not know (I'm not on the inside so I'm not on the up and up). I would say if she had been a believer in the Christian way, more power to her for making the choice she felt to be the right one, on her own no less.

I've met some good Islamic Moslems here in USA. I can't judge the religion bad on the whole. Some of the people I know fled wherever they were living before to be in America, some didn't.

While this assumes a certain neutrality of source (no media source is neutral), if she actually had good reason to fear she was in danger, then I don't blame her at all for running away.

Otherwise my guess is probably as good as anyone else's.

Not knowing whether her parents are "devout" muslims or not, it is hard to say what fate exactly awaits her. However, it is useful to keep in mind that there have been "honor killings" w/in the US within the past few years. Hopefully, if she is returned, they will accept her despite her "apostasy". Afterall, not all muslims are "radical" and the parents are probably as upset as any whose child embraces another religion or set of beliefs that run counter to their own (or merely in competition).

@Litofsky--what anti-muslim tirade? There was no obvious denigration of all muslims, but rather attention focused on an unsavory practice performed by some muslims, even w/in western countries.

There have been recordings of honor killings in the Middle East and even here in the US. We have some missionaries in Sudan who take in women who've been excommunicated and disowned by their families, if they're lucky. These women have no place to go and would starve because they can't get jobs to support themselves. Other men and women are not so lucky--they are indeed killed for converting to any other religion.

@Litofsky--what anti-muslim tirade? There was no obvious denigration of all muslims, but rather attention focused on an unsavory practice performed by some muslims, even w/in western countries.

The information compiled, to me, seemed anti-Muslim. 'Tirade' may have been the wrong term to use, but the way the article was created and the information laid out, it seemed to be saying that all converts from Islam will/must be killed because, etc.

"Anyone who converts from Islam is considered an apostate, and apostasy is a capital crime," Chesler wrote FOXNews.com. "If she is returned to her family, if she is lucky, they will isolate her, beat her, threaten her, and if she is not 'persuaded' to return to Islam, they will kill her. They have no choice."

By my opinion, it seemed to say that the parents and the religion, in general, is barbaric, etc. Maybe my interpretation was off. *shrugs*

Archived