Home

Seeking Details on the Farlander Papers

CrisG

I am researching the Farlander Papers that was included in the Limited Edition of X Wing. I have found some of the text I believe but wondered if anyone has a complete copy and can post the table of contents or list the sections...i am trying to be sure i have a complete copy of the contents.

thanks

What i have seems to be most of it, but i wanted to be sure i have the whole thing.

farlandercoversmallpic.jpg

thanks Wildstar, i saw that in the notes on it, will look for them both, I have most of the papers i am pretty sure, just want to be sure i have them all in this copy

thanks....the historic setting is really nice

UPDATE:

I got my copy of the Official Strategy Guide and it is a HUGE book, and i see the Farlander story runs thru the whole thing, in each section,there is a LOT of fascinating material here. I still am very curious what was in the original farlander papers in the Limited Edition release of X Wing.... i found some portions already, and this is the main sectin of what i found ..i think, from the original......

This is the main piece of what i found....and then there are some additonal sections...

starts with......

Star Wars

X-Wing Game

The Farlander Papers

updated : 11.XI.2006

###############################################################################

From the Chronicles of the Rebel Alliance

Introduction

The Old Republic is no more. The Galaxy is threatened by an evil Empire, ruled by a

creature on the Dark Side of the Force. Only a small, but growing, Rebellion can stop the

spread of terror and tyranny. A few dedicated freedom fighters travel the galaxy, uniting

the separate planetary Resistance groups into a single, unified Alliance. This is the

story of one critical period in the history of the Alliance.

Chapter 1

Rebel Cruiser Independence

In Transit to Agamar in the Lahara Sector

"Some soothing Dagoban bentaxne berry tea, Madam?" The protocol droid stood rock-still,

bent at the waist like the major domo of a fancy Celanon restaurant. His saucer-like eyes

stared blankly, perpetually optimistic. In his hand he held a tray with a steaming

plastcore cup.

"No, thank you, Deesix," answered Mon Mothma, Chief of State of the Rebel Alliance. A

former senator of the old Republic, Mon Mothma had played a pivotal role in the

unification of the scattered forces of resistance to the Empire. As the elected head of

the Alliance, she held absolute power of command, but now she rested in her private study,

her feet up on her desk. She was noticeably tired. The years of unceasing travel,

gathering support for the growing Rebel movement, weighed heavily on her. With a visible

effort, she sat straight at her desk as the droid approached, smiling wistfully, and said,

"I’ve got several hours of work still ahead of me."

"As you wish, Madam," the droid said, walking stiffly over to the recycler and placing the

cup in it. "If you don’t mind, Madam, I’ll go on half power, then." The Chief of State

nodded her agreement and turned her attention to the terminal on her desk.

An hour passed in silence as Mon Mothma worked her way through a stack of recent

communiques. Her voice droned softly into the terminal receiver and every once in a while

she bent over the security coupler to sign off with a retinal scan and voice

authorization. The droid stood statue-like, his body upright, his head slumped forward as

if asleep.

"Deesix?"

The droid was instantly at attention. "Madam?"

"Didn’t you tell me earlier that there was a new speech for me to deliver tomorrow?"

"Indeed I did, Madam. I have it here somewhere. Oh, where did I put it?" The droid

shuffled across the room, his head moving back and forth jerkily. Finally he stopped in

front of a cabinet and opened a drawer. "Here it is!" he announced, holding up a small

holo disk.

Meanwhile, Mon Mothma saw that she had two more messages on the net. She punched up the

first of them:

To: Mon Mothma

Mon Mothma:

I’ve given your droid, D6-L5, a new draft of the speech you wrote. Please look it over and

send final comments to my office. As you know, Mon Mothma, you will be delivering this

speech tomorrow on Agamar. They have a growing resistance movement, but have not yet

committed to the Alliance. This new speech should help decide them, along with the

leaflets and the new holos you saw last week.

I will be available at any time, if you should wish to contact me.

Respectfully,

Arhul Hextrophon

The second memo read:

To: Mon Mothma

You should meet a new ambassador in two weeks.

There was no signature. Mon Mothma’s forehead creased as she deleted this innocent-looking

message. It was in a very private code. Automatically, she had deciphered it. "Lazlo" was

really General Madine. "You should meet a new ambassador" meant she was needed to plan

operations against a priority Imperial target. "In two weeks," in this context, meant in

two days.

She looked up with a start. Deesix was placing the holo disk on the desk before her. "Is

something wrong, Madam?" he asked.

With a sigh, she picked up the holo disk. "No, Deesix. Everything is all right. You may as

well rest again, though. I shall be a while yet."

"As you wish, Madam," answered the droid, instantly reassuming the sleep position.

Mon Mothma popped the disk in its slot and began to read. As she read, she corrected and

annotated the speech using her light pen. Lazlo’s message had been noted and mentally

filed. She would head for Mon Calamari right after the speech on Agamar.

A CALL TO REASON

SPEECH TO BE DELIVERED FIRST ON AGAMAR

BEINGS OF THE GALAXY UNITE! SHED THE YOKE OF IMPERIAL OPPRESSION!

THANK YOU FOR COMING TODAY. IT IS A PLEASURE T0 BE ONCE AGAIN ON THE BEAUTIFUL PLANET OF

AGAMAR. FIRST I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THIS AREA HAS BEEN SURROUNDED BY OUR FORCES. IT IS

HEAVILY SHIELDED. OUR BATTLE CRUISER ORBITS ABOVE US, AND PICKET DROIDS HAVE BEEN

DEPLOYED. IN OTHER WORDS. THERE IS N0 CHANCE OF AN IMPERIAL SURPRISE ATTACK. YOU ARE SAFE

AMONG US... FOR THE MOMENT.

DID YOU KNOW...

THAT THE OLD REPUBLIC WAS A DEMOCRATIC UNION OF WORLDS GOVERNED BY A DULY ELECTED SENATE!

THAT IT REPRESENTED THE NEEDS OF ALL BEINGS REGARDLESS OF RACE, SPECIES, OR HOME SECTOR?

THAT "EMPEROR" PALPATINE WAS ONCE A SENATOR. AND THAT HE HAS SEIZED POWER, STOLEN OUR

FREEDOMS, DISBANDED THE SENUTE, AND CRUSHED ALL DISSENT?

THAT THE CURRENT EMPIRE IS IN THE PROCESS OF SUBJUGATING OR DESTROYING THE NON-HUMAN RACES?

THAT THERE IS HOPE?

TAKE A MOMENT WITH ME NOW, MY FRIENDS, AND LEARN ABOUT THE GREATEST PERIL OUR GALAXY HAS

EVER FACED! THERE IS HOPE. BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHY YOU’RE FIGHTING. DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR

FRIENDS ARE? DO YOU KNOW YOUR ENEMY?

.......................... ends with.....

Finally he fell into a deep sleep, and in his dreams he heard a voice-a voice at once

alien and yet strangely familiar . . .

"Life creates it. Makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are

we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. But beware the Dark Side.

If once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you,

it will. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense; never for attack. There is no

why. There is no try. There is do. Or do not."

• 1 year later...

I was finally able to purchase a full copy of the Farllander Papers, it is a very interesting read and gives one of the best 'in universe" views of the Star Wars story that I have ever seen. The Steele Chronicles is also useful if you can find it.

• 1 month later...

Edit: Missed a post in the thread heh.

So how much was there that wasn't in the official strategy guide?

If my memory serves me correctly, the strategy guide was a far better story telling experience than the actual Farlander papers was. Plus the guide expanded upon the original papers.

I don't think that there was a huge amount from the papers that was left out of the guide. I have both the farlander papers and Steele Chronicles buried in the attic at my parents house, probably both still in their respective game boxes.

The Steele was an amazing read though. I read that many times over. And the Tie Fighter strategy guide which expanded upon that was fantastic as well.

Ah memories, I'm going to have to read them again!

-D

• 6 months later...
I am researching the Farlander Papers that was included in the Limited Edition of X Wing. I have found some of the text I believe but wondered if anyone has a complete copy and can post the table of contents or list the sections...i am trying to be sure i have a complete copy of the contents.

thanks

What i have seems to be most of it, but i wanted to be sure i have the whole thing.

farlandercoversmallpic.jpg

I am a Proud owner of the X-wing collectors CD-ROM Official Prima's Strategy Guide! and the farlander papers are included as part of the guide! it was only $1.00 on amazon! I used to play the Dos based ones years ago and i still use this guide when playing the game! i would not play without it. There is so much usefull information.

Archived