Home

Spielberg to direct "Monkey Island"- well, no, not really, but...

Phaedrusnyc

I came across this article and it caught my eye. There have long been stories that Spielberg was very much interested in the late '80's-early '90's output of LucasArts, and the rumors have gone so far as to suggest that he had an interest in doing something with Monkey Island at one time (and that, in a roundabout way, all of this fiddling around ended up leading to Orlando Bloom's turn as Guybrush Threep- er, Will Turner- in "Pirates of the Caribbean.") I can't really be bothered to reference all of this, but most of it can be found on the Mojo sites if you look hard enough.

Well, now Spielberg is all set to direct a pirate movie of his own (based on a Michael Crichton story) and apparently has "always wanted to direct his own pirate film." Interesting, no?

And "Hook" was...?

A proposed Barbra Streisand biopic?

Sorry, couldn't resist- there were at least four other responses I could have typed. At any rate, ask Stacey Snider- SHE'S the one who said it. The possible argument is that a movie with pirates isn't necessarily a "pirate movie," per se, the way a movie with soldiers isn't automatically a war movie....

For now I'm pretty happy with new Monkey Island games coming out. A movie is unnecessary unless it would have to be made to make the games sell.

I'd prefer to see a completely original pirate movie. There is such a thing as "too much Monkey Island".

Archived